AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Preditor
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What can I say, I'm not having the best of luck with the Samsung SIR-T165.

My first unit arrived and was promptly put in my theater with a U.S JVC 30k hooked up to it. Connection to my projector is via RGBHV (yeah, I know, no D-theater through RGB). While the picture and sound appeared as good as my DTC-100, occasionally (anywhere from every 6 minutes to every 22 minutes) there is a split second (like 1/10th of a second) the picture goes black. It seems like my projector loses sync (JVC D-ILA), but never did that on any source at any resolution.

Secondly, configuring to record a show, I followed not only the directions, but advice in the forum. Set the timer, make sure my deck is turned off, then turn off the Samsung. The Samsung turns itself on, but didn't record the show (JVC didn't even turn on).

My second box went into my bedroom (I know, D-VHS whore), with a Panasonic HD1000. I haven't seen the picture blanking out like above. But, when setting the timer recording, the unit turns on, and also turns the Panny D-VHS on. But it didn't activate recording!!!!!!! When I go into the menu to do it manually, it won't let me because it's already recording (but it's not!!!!!!!). Ahhhhhhh! Then, I manually shut everything down, and when I power the Samsung on, it doesn't see the Panny anymore (yes, even after turning the Panny power off and on again). Only a power cycle with my master switch on a line conditioner does it set everything back to normal.

Before anyone mentions the lack of PSIP timing, that's not been the problem. I've always verified the time with the channels, and even left my unit set to a channel that has accurate times.

I have a third unit, but am now convincing myself "why bother" because the first two units with 2 separate decks seem to have similar problems.

Sure, I can do everything manually, but after problems with a Panny combo (not 'syncing' to the D-VHS "not present" problems), and my DTC-100 w169time mod not turning on and recording reliably I was hoping the Samsung was the ray of light.

Ugh....can't someone make something that f'ing works!

-Brian

·
Premium Member
2,399 Posts
I have experienced much the same problems you report. I have returned two of the three 165's to Sound City.

To be specific (as I have reported on other threads), my problem is also not time related. Rather, the 165 turns my Mits on and "seemingly" starts to record. However, the playback is not watchable, because of the freezeups, dropouts and, for the most part, no picture or sound at all.

·
Registered
144 Posts
What have you done to eliminate the possibility that your recording problems are with the recorders? Have you supplied the same types of control and mpeg streams via firewire from other, non-Samsung products?

I hate to see threads titled "junk" when the majority of people had the proper expectations (particularly after reading all the threads here) of the T165 and are reasonably happy with this product as the first readily available tuner with firewire out... Of course there will be interoperability issues, because all the manufacturers and stations, etc., have not had a lot of opportunity to validate their implementation of the standards... You both bought 3 machines without trying out 1???

The T165 is not junk. It might not meet your expectations, but that doesn't mean it can't meet other people's...

robert

·
Premium Member
11,868 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RKay
I hate to see threads titled "junk" when the majority of people had the proper expectations (particularly after reading all the threads here) of the T165 and are reasonably happy with this product as the first readily available tuner with firewire out...

robert
Did you forget about the Panny TU-DST50/51?

·
Registered
144 Posts
OK -- I'm not going let this thread get caught on technicalities. But I did say "readily available" -- not a after-market modified first generation machine, or units that shipped in small quantities and are no longer available. Also, to the best of my knowledge, neither of these solutions comply with the current version of the copy restriction rules for 5C firewire or HDCP DVI. Nor do I think they attempt to gain information from the PSIP signal for clock, etc.

I'm not saying that those are "features" that any of us want, but they are features that the industry is mandating, and so chances are that future devices will include these capabilities...

Again, my main complaint is the level of hyperbole in the thread title. This box has many different functions: ATSC tuner, NTSC tuner, scaler, DVI, firewire out, firewire in, etc. Now it might not come close to being the best in all of those categories, but it is not "junk" because it doesn't meet a subset of people's expectations...

robert

·
Preditor
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by RKay
What have you done to eliminate the possibility that your recording problems are with the recorders? Have you supplied the same types of control and mpeg streams via firewire from other, non-Samsung products?
2 out of 3 machines having the same problem is what I'd call an issue with the set top box.

Jeez, I set the timer, it turns on the units, but doesn't record. 2 different boxes, 2 different VCR brands = no recordings. I'd say it isn't a problem with my equipment considering it all worked before.

Quote:
Of course there will be interoperability issues, because all the manufacturers and stations, etc., have not had a lot of opportunity to validate their implementation of the standards... You both bought 3 machines without trying out 1???

The T165 is not junk. It might not meet your expectations, but that doesn't mean it can't meet other people's...
Are you a Samsung employee?

If the standards weren't implemented, then they're either a) not standards at all and b) shouldn't have been released. Period.

Quote:
Again, my main complaint is the level of hyperbole in the thread title. This box has many different functions: ATSC tuner, NTSC tuner, scaler, DVI, firewire out, firewire in, etc. Now it might not come close to being the best in all of those categories, but it is not "junk" because it doesn't meet a subset of people's expectations...

I'm not commenting on the ATSC/NTSC tuner, scaler, etc. It's not relevant to this discussion. If you haven't noticed, I'm posting this in the recording forum. So for all intents and purposes, as a recording box and it's interoperability with D-VHS decks for that purpose, this box so far is junk.

As a playback box, I have mixed feelings (having to turn on the D-VHS through the Samsung is annoying).

Dave (H20) my DTC-100 and 169time w/JVC never worked properly on the timer function. Manually recording everything was fine. Playback was also fine. I was more forgiving of this because it was a hack. For Samsung, it's no excuse in my book.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
I hope those who are unhappy with the performance of the SIR-T165 still have the option of returning their units and getting their money back or at least obtain store credit.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I purchased a 165 about 10 days ago.

My setup has two HD1000's connected to the 165 via a 1394 hub.

I just tried a timer record and it worked perfectly despite the presence of the hub. In the past, using a DST50 there was always an element of chance with timer recording usding the hub because sometimes the HD1000 which was turned on wasn't the last one which was active.

So far, the stability of the hub connection seems to be improved (I haven't yet seen the othjer HD1000 light up), but I've only tried a few manual recordings and one timer recording.

The timer recording I made used the following simple procedure:

Turn off HD1000

Turn on 165

Set schedule for recording at least three minutes ahead of time.

Turn 165 off

·
Registered
739 Posts
It is not "junk" for my recording needs! There are too many variables to call it junk. "Junk" is in the eye of the beholder.

Bill

·
Registered
170 Posts
I've been recording with my 165/Mits HSHD2000 for about 3 weeks now with no problems. The only times that I've missed a recording are when I put in an incorrect date or time. It can be frustrating, I'm used to TiVo taking care of the details for me. I've also had to find ways around the timer issue, which can be a pain. All in all though, I'm very happy with the Samsung box.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
I have done at least 20 timer recordings with the Samsung 165 and the JVC DVHS deck and all have gone without a hitch. Not a single failure.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I'd like to add that despite the timer problem, the 165 has a big advantage over the DST-51 for me. I'm able to combine the Dish 5000 modulator and my OTA signal using the high bandwidth Monster splitter and the 165 has no problem with the modulator's CH3 signal. My DST-51 could not tolerate this configuration.

Mark

·
Preditor
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm not giving up, and have timers set for tonights recording, so we'll see what happens. But I just don't understand the issues I'm having with two separate decks and two separate Samsung units.

I guess I could always blame it on JVC since so many of us are having a wide range of problems with the decks.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I've had my Samsung 165 for a week, and --once I got the local stations to correct their PSIP times-- have had great success recording with my Panasonic HD1000 DVHS. I find the 165 to be more reliable than the Panasonic DST50 (which it replaced in my setup).

·
Registered
800 Posts
More reliable than the DST50 in what way?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
One negative I've noticed with the 165 is that it doesn't power off my HD1000 deck after a timer recording. The DST-51 always powered off the unit after the recording was comlete.

Mark

·
Premium Member
2,399 Posts
Yes, I did purchase three machines w/o trying one out first.

Foolish me, I expected it to do what it was advertised and hyped to do and that was to make HD timer recordings via firewire. This it has failed to do with each of my Mits VCR's.

I can safely say the 165 did not meet my "expectations".

Nobody took me up on my offer to sell the unopened 165's for $520.00 each.

From a more somber point of view I am returning the remaining 165 to the factory. Let's see what they do.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Hi All,

I have a qestion? Can the SIR-T165 multi-task? Ok it not an computer, but what I mean is can you have two D-VHS decks connected. Play an HD tape in one while recording an HD show off of the interal turner to the second D-VCR at the same time.

Can this work with a moded HDVR moded DTC-100.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.