AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In all of the reviews of the 165 I've not seen too many people mention whether they can sucessfully switch a 480P signal through the compoent input. I know that Pete Putnam had problems with the 480P image being distorted. I am seeing similar problems with my 165.

Has anyone been able to pass a 480P signal out of the 165? If so, what output are you using and at what resolution. What's the manufacture date on your box?

-phil

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Phil,

I'm able to input 480p from my DVD player into the 165. However, the picture jitters (is unstable) at the top and bottom 5% of the image. I've also had video processing issues with the 165. For example, during scrolling credits, the text often appear jaggie. Reference my post about 165 Upconversion problems for more detail.

Andrew

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Andrew,

Thanks for the reply. Anyone else?

-phil

·
Registered
433 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew Sabin
Phil,

I'm able to input 480p from my DVD player into the 165. However, the picture jitters (is unstable) at the top and bottom 5% of the image. I've also had video processing issues with the 165. For example, during scrolling credits, the text often appear jaggie. Reference my post about 165 Upconversion problems for more detail.

Andrew
Andrew,

I had the same jitters on the bottom of my display with my 480p DVD player (Panasonic RP82) input into the 165.

The only way I could get rid of them was to switch off progressive mode on my DVD player. I actually like the picture better that way with the 165 upconverting to 720p & outputing via DVI.

Jeff

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by jedvik
The only way I could get rid of them was to switch off progressive mode on my DVD player. I actually like the picture better that way with the 165 upconverting to 720p & outputing via DVI.

Jeff,

With a 480P input, did the 165 not scale the output to 720P?

-phil

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
As I understand the manual, you can input 480P but your only choices for output are 720P and 1080I.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PhilB

Has anyone been able to pass a 480P signal out of the 165? If so, what output are you using and at what resolution. What's the manufacture date on your box?

-phil
No 480P jitter for me with my 165, date code of Oct. 2002. Pioneer DVD component out -> 165 -> component in of Panasonic CT34WX50.

Could your jitter be related to the DVD's copyguard scheme?

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
The jittering happens even on a DVD player that has no copy protection (Skyworth 1050P), so it doesn't seem to be related to CGMS or Macrovision. The Skyworth's component signals are clean, too...

·
Registered
131 Posts
I bought my T165 which has the same problem when I input a 480p component signal. I send it back to the shop and they gave me a new one. This time I can input 480p component with 1080i output. The picture quality is much better than original DVD player. My dvd player is pioneer 747a from Japen.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
vinjou,

Could you please elaborate about the difference in picture quality that you see with your original vs. replacement 165. Were you able to input 480p and upconvert to 1080i with just the jittering problem or was there no picture on the first unit? Maybe I'll send mine back too.

Thanks,

Andrew

·
Registered
131 Posts
After the upconversion, the first thing I noticed was the sharpness of the picture quality. Edges on the faces and things are more clear than original 480p. Second is the detail. I watched the T2 and the back ground in the begining of the future battle field has more details in the 1080i picture.

Third, contrast is a little bit better. One draw back is the color saturation, the color is not as vivid as the 480p. I have not try the big front projection yet (my projector is a data projector without Component input). I will wait until I got a HDTV projector or purchase a video convertor.

·
Registered
131 Posts
My old T165's problems when I input a 480p signal is flickering and biased color(became greenish). Picture quality are the same for the old and new one. I like T165 very much because it converts video signal from composite , s-video, component to 1080i and is very easy to use.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm also having problems trying to pass my DVD player (set at 480p) through the 480p/480i component input. On mine there is also a greenish tint covering the entire screen. When I switch my DVD to 480i everything works ok. I have everything going to the 165 (sat, cable, playstation) it would have been nice to have the DVD also.

Maybe I will send it in for repairs, but at this point the DVD looks so good connected directly to the monitor that it's not a high priority right now. Then again I paid for this feature so it should work, right?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I thought the 165 was designed not to support 480p component input (for copyright purposes). My question is, "does this matter?" If you input a 480i signal and output 1080i or 720p won't you get a better picture than you would with the 480p signal direct from the DVD to the monitor anyway so it doesn't matter that you can't use the 480p? Doesn't the 165 upgrade the signal over 480p? I haven't tried it yet, as I am getting my DVI cable today but will see what I get from a Pioneer 47ai at 480p to the 50" GWII and then see what I get from 480i to the 165 then 720 out via DVI to the GWII. Anyone doing a similar test?

·
Registered
52 Posts
jjson, I did the test last nite. It appeared the picture quality looked better with the direct connect to the monitor at 480p. The 480i through the 165 upgraded up to 1080i looked good but did not appear as sharp. Keep in mind that it was late last nite and I was getting tired plus I only use one DVD. I will do the test again tonite under better conditions. I have a Hitachi 51" and a Toshiba SD-4800.

How did your comparison turn out?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.