AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 331 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get a new TV for the living room. I'm moving my Panasonic ST60 to the bedroom. The J6300 seems to be Samsung's best non-4k TV for 2015. The specs aren't impressive or anything but will the picture quality be decent enough? I'll use it for TV, streaming Netflix and Hulu, and gaming. I'll save the Blu-rays for the ST60.

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN55J6300AFXZA

·
Registered
17,447 Posts
I'm looking to get a new TV for the living room. I'm moving my Panasonic ST60 to the bedroom. The J6300 seems to be Samsung's best non-4k TV for 2015. The specs aren't impressive or anything but will the picture quality be decent enough? I'll use it for TV, streaming Netflix and Hulu, and gaming. I'll save the Blu-rays for the ST60.

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN55J6300AFXZA
this is a 60hz tv, are you SURE u wanna replace a plasma with this??

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
this is a 60hz tv, are you SURE u wanna replace a plasma with this??
Is it really? I thought it was a 120hz native screen. But it's a 60hz screen with the 120 dimming software or whatever it is that they do? If so that's lame. It kind of sucks that I'm getting forced in to 4k if that is the case because 4k isn't really mainstream enough yet in my opinion. I mean Netflix streams in compressed 720. Why have a 4k? Plus I'll get more lag for gaming.

·
Registered
17,447 Posts
Is it really? I thought it was a 120hz native screen. But it's a 60hz screen with the 120 dimming software or whatever it is that they do? If so that's lame. It kind of sucks that I'm getting forced in to 4k if that is the case because 4k isn't really mainstream enough yet in my opinion. I mean Netflix streams in compressed 720. Why have a 4k? Plus I'll get more lag for gaming.
yes, 60hz native with a motion rate of 120. this years lineup of 4k tvs are greatly improved over last years. if your worried about gaming, the new js9000 has a 21.8 rating for lag, best of of any lcd tv ever. the 4k netflix stuff actually looks excellent. and netflix has hte smallest library, M-GO and ULTRAFLIX are libraries at least 10x bigger and another big site is launching in a few months it was just announced. the higher end 4k tvs make 1080P look MUCH better, and the 2015 lineup is much improved in upscale and less noise.

·
Registered
17,447 Posts
here check this out, a brand new JS9000 review just published a few hours ago, regaurding the tvs ability to show HDR content(better than 4k). obviously regular tv isnt going to look HDR, but the tv is still stronger than previous 4k tvs.

"We ran the UE65JS9000 (playing the Life of Pi HDR snippet) side-by-side against a now-defunct-but-still-considered-reference Panasonic ZT plasma (displaying the Blu-ray version), taking care to calibrate both screens to 120 cd/m2 peak white. There’s simply no contest even from fifteen feet away: the combination of super-high resolution, punchier whites, greater gradation and increased detail (not only in the highlights but also in shadowed areas) made the ZT look noticeably muted and softer by comparison. So powerful was this onslaught of resolution, contrast and detail to our visual senses that we weren’t even aware of the UE-65JS9000′s on-paper weaker blacks versus the plasma."

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
yes, 60hz native with a motion rate of 120. this years lineup of 4k tvs are greatly improved over last years. if your worried about gaming, the new js9000 has a 21.8 rating for lag, best of of any lcd tv ever. the 4k netflix stuff actually looks excellent. and netflix has hte smallest library, M-GO and ULTRAFLIX are libraries at least 10x bigger and another big site is launching in a few months it was just announced. the higher end 4k tvs make 1080P look MUCH better, and the 2015 lineup is much improved in upscale and less noise.
Nope. Not even close. Most of the Sony set are around 17ms, and toshiba has one a 10ms, and the Vizio P series is around 17ms (and btw, the P series would blow any 4k offering from Samsung out of the water, including the js9500).

·
Registered
17,447 Posts
Nope. Not even close. Most of the Sony set are around 17ms, and toshiba has one a 10ms, and the Vizio P series is around 17ms (and btw, the P series would blow any 4k offering from Samsung out of the water, including the js9500).
im sorry i misspoke, best of any 4k lcd every(according to avforums, who havent reviewed the vizio) the sony 900b from last year measured a 60ms, and the sony x850b measured 39.
there is not a huge difference between 21 and 17 anyways. but the 4k tvs are catching up. the vizio p series is at 19, im sure there isnt a huge difference between 21 and 19 either. according to this list, the best toshiba is 18, not 10. and based on this list, the best LCD tv is 17, anything less is a monitor, so the 21 rating the JS series is putting out actually is excellent for a tv.

http://www.displaylag.com/display-database/

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
im sorry i misspoke, best of any 4k lcd every(according to avforums, who havent reviewed the vizio) the sony 900b from last year measured a 60ms, and the sony x850b measured 39.
there is not a huge difference between 21 and 17 anyways. but the 4k tvs are catching up. the vizio p series is at 19, im sure there isnt a huge difference between 21 and 19 either. according to this list, the best toshiba is 18, not 10. and based on this list, the best LCD tv is 17, anything less is a monitor, so the 21 rating the JS series is putting out actually is excellent for a tv.

http://www.displaylag.com/display-database/

Unfortunately that site does not list every tv ever made, and hasn't been updated in a while. The 4K toshbia L9400U has an input lag of 10.4ms, I have tested it myself with my LB input lag tester. You can also find this information by searching around on other forums. The vizio P series has varied input lag across the size range due to different panel response time. One of the forum members tested the P55 I believe, and its 17ms:
As far as being able to tell the difference between 21ms and 17ms, yes you can. And you tell the difference between 17ms and 10ms, and you can really tell the difference between 10ms and 1ms. Of course you have to be an avid FPS gamer to notice these differences, but they are noticeable.

·
Registered
15 Posts
At the bottom of the page http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN55J6300AFXZA it talks about Playstation Now!

"PlayStation™ Now game streaming service app will be available soon on this TV, with hundreds of great PlayStation™ 3 games! Additional purchase, DualShock™ 4 controller, and registration required. Service not available in all areas. Stay tuned for future announcements or visit PlayStation.com/PlayStationNow for more information."

·
Registered
25 Posts
Release date?

I'm looking to upgrade our kitchen TV this week. Cant go bigger than 32". Was looking at the UN32H6350 and found one for $502.

Is the UN32J6300 available or worth waiting for over the UN32H6350?

Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
I'm looking to upgrade our kitchen TV this week. Cant go bigger than 32". Was looking at the UN32H6350 and found one for $502.

Is the UN32J6300 available or worth waiting for over the UN32H6350?

Let me know what you think.
Try the J5500 at best buy or futureshop if you can grab one. I have it as my primary gaming set and love it. It only being 60hz doesn't affect me at all. Everything I have thrown at it is buttery smooth. I was thinking of paying the difference and grabbing the J6300 in a 40".

·
Registered
339 Posts
Picked up my J6300 on Friday due to Best Buy's 4 day Memorial Sale and I love it!

The only disappointment is with the very small number of apps available on their new Tizen OS running on the 2015 Samsung's.

·
Registered
202 Posts
quick check on the specs and it seems this is a downgrade from the h8000. the feature that stood out to me although I'm not sure how useful it is was that the j6300 only has micro dimming "pro" while the h8000 has "ultimate". this may be just marketing speak but how can a high end tv this year lose a feature that was on the high end model from last year?

almost kicked myself for buying a h8000 earlier in the year when i saw that samsung is offering the j6300 at only 1099!! i paid almost 2 grand for the h8000 although maybe the feature loss explains the price drop? anyone that had a h8000 compared the picture quality to see if its still up to par? i love my h8000 not looking to upgrade just curious to see the difference and how can samsung almost halve the price on a top of the line tv.

·
Registered
882 Posts
quick check on the specs and it seems this is a downgrade from the h8000. the feature that stood out to me although I'm not sure how useful it is was that the j6300 only has micro dimming "pro" while the h8000 has "ultimate". this may be just marketing speak but how can a high end tv this year lose a feature that was on the high end model from last year?

almost kicked myself for buying a h8000 earlier in the year when i saw that samsung is offering the j6300 at only 1099!! i paid almost 2 grand for the h8000 although maybe the feature loss explains the price drop? anyone that had a h8000 compared the picture quality to see if its still up to par? i love my h8000 not looking to upgrade just curious to see the difference and how can samsung almost halve the price on a top of the line tv.
It's not a high end tv, it's a 6000 series tv. 7/8000 series have been completely replaced with 4K models/panels ...
But contrary to info up above about it being a 60Hz: it's still a 120hz at least ... H6800 is probably a better set as well but I see it didn't make it stateside (the euro J6300 is curved as was the H6800).

1 - 20 of 331 Posts