AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any idea when you very smart people are going to create a new Samsung Q7DT Owners forum?
Model numbers (as I understand them are):
75": QN75Q7DTAFXZA
65": QN65Q7DTAFXZA
55": QN55Q7DTAFXZA

Looks to be a 'new' lineup for 2020 from Samsung, utilizing QLED technology. Would really enjoy hearing opinions and calibration settings for these guys.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I think you just created it. How do you like the TV?

If the picture on Costco's site is correct, the Q7DT has a central stand instead of the wide-feet on the Q70T, so that seems like a plus (would fit better on my TV table). I wonder if it's otherwise identical to the Q70T.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Outstandingly appropriate response - and great question, but I can't answer it yet... My 'old' Samsung PN64F8500 crapped out last week (the picture would no longer come on - audio worked, but not video). This is the replacement I just ordered - from Costco. It is supposed to be here on Monday, 4/28. I will answer your question and give first impressions shortly thereafter. Not sure I like being the 'test case' ;-). I guess once this model becomes more prevelant in the display-sphere, I'm hoping folks will add their impressions and calibrations settings/suggestions. I'm certianly not well versed enough to make informed recommendations in that arena. I'm happy to give opinions, but that's all they are.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
It'll just be a made-for-Costco variant of the Q70T, so anything that applies to that one will apply to this one.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I think you just created it. How do you like the TV?

If the picture on Costco's site is correct, the Q7DT has a central stand instead of the wide-feet on the Q70T, so that seems like a plus (would fit better on my TV table). I wonder if it's otherwise identical to the Q70T.
Interesting. I actually saw the 65" QDT in my Costco. I'm pretty sure it it was the wide feet with no other spot for a center stand. Looked at lot like the Q7D model from last year, but the feet themselves were thin like the other photos online. Definitely didn't see a single center-foot model in the whole display lot.

Odd?

·
Registered
608 Posts
The Q8DT has the single middle post. The Q7DT has two legs. It's on Samsung's site. If Costco has the Q7DT as single leg, it's wrong.

·
Super Moderator
15,939 Posts
Posts removed. Retail links are not permitted outside of the deal's area.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First Impressions

Received the TV yesterday. It has a center stand and not the edge supports. I was not overly impressed with the layout of the connectors on the back of the TV - for me, they were hard to get to and difficult to attach to - especially the 'Ant In' connector. What was also odd is there was no - at the times I looked - online information or images of what the back of the TV looked like, nor the connectors themselves. I was trying to do some pre-arrival research to figure out which HDMI connector was the ARC connector (turns out it's HDMI3) , but until it arrived, I could find no info on them.
Anyway, once I got it put together, connected, placed and turned on, it produces a nice picture. It's somewhat dimmer than I expected, but that could be because I'm still trying to figure out what all the various options do - 'Intelligent mode' versus the various 'auto' modes, etc. I am not a fan of the remote that came with it, either - but that may just be me not being familiar enough with it. Due to the dearth of actual buttons on the remote, it seems to take an awful lot of 'go here, then click here, then do this' to get to where I want to go to investigate or alter settings, etc. As with all electronics these days, the manuals are not written - or organized - in a fashion to allow users to fully or easily understand what all the various functions do, or how to use them to their best advantage.
Overall, I think it's a decent purchase at a relatively good price point. I'm hoping I can either figure out how everything works to get it set/calibrated properly - or you smart folks chime in and tell me what I *should* be doing.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Received the TV yesterday. It has a center stand and not the edge supports. I was not overly impressed with the layout of the connectors on the back of the TV - for me, they were hard to get to and difficult to attach to - especially the 'Ant In' connector. What was also odd is there was no - at the times I looked - online information or images of what the back of the TV looked like, nor the connectors themselves. I was trying to do some pre-arrival research to figure out which HDMI connector was the ARC connector (turns out it's HDMI3) , but until it arrived, I could find no info on them.
Anyway, once I got it put together, connected, placed and turned on, it produces a nice picture. It's somewhat dimmer than I expected, but that could be because I'm still trying to figure out what all the various options do - 'Intelligent mode' versus the various 'auto' modes, etc. I am not a fan of the remote that came with it, either - but that may just be me not being familiar enough with it. Due to the dearth of actual buttons on the remote, it seems to take an awful lot of 'go here, then click here, then do this' to get to where I want to go to investigate or alter settings, etc. As with all electronics these days, the manuals are not written - or organized - in a fashion to allow users to fully or easily understand what all the various functions do, or how to use them to their best advantage.
Overall, I think it's a decent purchase at a relatively good price point. I'm hoping I can either figure out how everything works to get it set/calibrated properly - or you smart folks chime in and tell me what I *should* be doing.
Glad your first impression is positive. I don't root for or against any brands or TVs. I just want them all to be good and improve year over year for us consumers. FWIW when I saw this compared to last year's model and both being claimed to be calibrated/setup with the same settings, this model was noticeably brighter and punchier. Hope that's what you experience.

·
Registered
9 Posts
center stand footprint

hi, for the QN65Q7DTAFXZA model, seems to be some confusion about the stand since the q70t has the legs on both sides, but the costco website shows the center stand

if it is a center stand, what is the footprint of the stand?

thank you in advance!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, after having and viewing the TV for a bit of time now, I can say the video quality is quite good, but not perfect. It is not as vivid/bright as some TVs I've seen (a Sharp Aquos, for example), but it is not terrible - and I do like the edge to edge display. I have not yet been able to test the 4k resolution...
I have come across two very annoying issues, however:
1) When trying to access Amazon Prime, the TV will consistently - like EVERY time after the TV is turned off/on- refuse to play content and I have to do the 'hold the power button for 10 seconds' reset function in order to be able to get it to play. Overwise I get the nebulous 'something went wrong' error. I'm glad that at least I can reset the TV to get it to function, but this is very frustrating.
2) The TV often gets very confused when the active external video source is reset while the TV is on. For example, I've got my DirecTV receiver hooked up to the TV's HDMI1 input and if I have to reset the receiver or for whatever reason I have to turn it off/back on again, the TV goes into connipition fits trying to redisplay the video and audio. It'll sit there and flash, tell me there is no source video, appear to reset itself, the sound will go on and off and eventually (maybe) it'll figure things out and display the video and pass thru the sound.
Both of these sure seem like software issues, so I hope Samsung steps up and addresses them...

·
Registered
7 Posts
The "DT" makes it a 2020 model with no local dimming.
Thanks, I haven't got it yet, will be delivered next week. I am still watching a 58" Samsung plasma and a 50" Panasonic Plasma. No reason to get rid of the plasma just thought it was time to get something new and the wife thinks the 58" is too big for the location. Going to give the 58" to our daughter but will hold off to compare the two side by side. This is in a Florida room over looking a lake so its kinda bright. So much of all this is new to me, a lot of learning to do. Thanks for any input and help

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Don't know about the "T" but I thought the "D" denoted warehouse (Costco) purchase. They did not say when I purchased it but I did not see anything about local dimming in the specs. Thanks
Yes, the "D" means warehouse variant, the "T" is 2020. So the Q70DT the warehouse version of the Samsung Q70T.

Thanks, I haven't got it yet, will be delivered next week. I am still watching a 58" Samsung plasma and a 50" Panasonic Plasma. No reason to get rid of the plasma just thought it was time to get something new and the wife thinks the 58" is too big for the location. Going to give the 58" to our daughter but will hold off to compare the two side by side. This is in a Florida room over looking a lake so its kinda bright. So much of all this is new to me, a lot of learning to do. Thanks for any input and help
I'm an old plasma user also. Got two of them semi retired at my beach house - a 2008 Panasonic PZ800U and a 2011 Insignia/Samsung. The Panny has over 30,000 hours and still looks great. I got a 2017 Samsung Q7C for my bright family room and it looks fine in there. I had no issue transitioning from plasma to LCD, I just leave all the motion controls off on the 120 Hz native refresh rate Samsung. Your Q7DT is also native 120 Hz so motion should be OK. Just watch the motion settings as it's easy to dial in SOE which can induce nausea.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Got the Q7DT and love it, but have learned thr emanual sux! I am useing an HT hooked to the optical out of my TV and would like to add wireless bluetooth headphones. I need audio out of both at the same time, can I do?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts