AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently purchased one of these and it's great as a computer monitor, but I am trying to get the best connection possible to my PS2 and Gamecube consoles. I'm currently using SVideo, but it still looks pretty bad... block and noisy at the same time.

The inputs on the LCD are: 15-pin DSUB analog, DVI, SVideo, and composite. I can only find component AV cables for my console systems.

What is the best way to hook up component AV to DVI? Or are there (or will be) DVI cables for the consoles? Even if I find a way to connect the Component AV to DVI, will it look much better than SVideo for video game consoles?

I don't mind spending some money for a better picture, but the most frustrating thing is not being able to see what I am paying for or knowing how much of a difference it will make.

Thanks,

NewB

[EDIT]

It appears that the DVI on these monitors is "digital" only, or for use only with computers. I thought HDTV set top boxes could produce digital output too? Anyways, I've been told if I want to use Component AV with the monitor, I have to go in through the DSUB Analog input.. are cables readily available for this?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by mspeed76
http://www.viewsonic.com/products/vi...xtvisionn6.htm

does S-video look that bad? Gamecube on my Dell 20" (Samsung also) looks pretty darn good.
Yeah, it's both blocky and fuzzy. I can tell the S-Video signal quality is good, but then the monitor blurs it up trying to filter it. I'd rather have a raw signal coming through.. blockiness and blurriness combined make it appear worse than the "natural" filtering my 10 year old 20" Panasonic TV does with composite. It's bad enough that I think I will play on my TV with composite.

Maybe it's the S-Video cable I'm using.. I was thinking of buying one for my Gamecube too. Which type of cable do you have for your Gamecube?

·
Registered
61 Posts
i'm using a cheapo S-video cable, altho there is a monster verion available

could it be because you're stretching it to wide screen? have you tried it at native?

·
Registered
104 Posts
where did you buy your Samsung 240T? I've been looking all over for one and can't find any in stock...

thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Fikse
where did you buy your Samsung 240T? I've been looking all over for one and can't find any in stock...

thanks!
I got lucky.. I called Monitor Outlet on Tuesday of this week ( http://www.monitoroutlet.com ) and, even though it said on their site they had none in stock, it turns out they had gotten in 6 that day and had already sold 4 of them by the time I called. I ended up getting 1 of the last 2. It was the last place I was going to try calling, too.. and I almost didn't call them. Guess I can't say I always have bad luck. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.