AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a 240T for my main PC monitor which will also be used for a ps2 and xbox. I came to this decision after reading many posts and many pm's to members, so thanks to everyone.

The reason I decided on this lcd was a few reasons. Price, Dvi hookups, No burn in, and very high resolution.

As far as I know there is nothing else on the market at this time with 1920x1200 resolution with dvi capability in this size range or LARGER.

I started out wanting a plasma but due to a few reasons I decided against it. I just dont think that plasmas at this point are meant to be used solely as pc monitors due to burn in, resolution, one to one pixelation matching etc.. I think a 50" plasma would have been incredible but that would have cost at least 5-7k MORE and I just dont think they are quite there yet.

My only concern with the 240t is going to be GHOSTING when playing fast FPS games and I suppose I will find out soon enough if that is an issue.

I will let everyone know as soon as I do some testing and have some time to play with it.

I hope this thread helps any gamers out there(and anyone else), as I had a hard time finding people using larger monitors for this purpose. 24" isnt as large as I THINK i would have liked but for the price and for whats available right now in the market I think that the 240t is the best choice. I know of no other monitors out there right now that can dish out 1920x1200 via dvi with 25ms response in this size range or LARGER.

I will be running it with a pentium 4, 3.06 ghz system overclocked to 4 ghz via a prometia cooling unit with a gig of ram and a radeon 9700 pro. (would have liked to have snagged a 9800 pro, but they werent available at the time.)

I HOPE this 240T will perform! (this will be my FIRST lcd monitor, im using an older samsung 19" crt right now.. Had to save up for all this stuff for quite some time.)

Thanks again to everyone for all the help and great posts.

Ritchie

·
Registered
273 Posts
You've just ordered a pretty large PC monitor (I don't think that any larger are available...)

You should be fine with all content going through the DVI interface, but I'm not sure how your xbox/PS2 stuff is going to look via s-video.

b.t.w. you should be using this thing on your desk (i.e. viewing distance of 24") not on the livingroom wall. you don't need this high of a pixel density for something you're going to be looking at from 6 or more feet away. besides, if you did use it that way, you'd be wasting the best computer monitor you've ever owned ;).

-dwx

·
Registered
282 Posts
I bought the Samsung SyncMaster 241MP. I like the 16:9 format and 1920 by 1200 pixel resolution. This model didn't come with DVI! Should I have bought the 240? I assumed that the 241 was the "new model". No DVI at this price is disappointing. Looks great for gaming.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats why i didnt buy the that model

no dvi just wont cut it for me.. DVI is where u get the superb picture from what i understand

and my pc gaming comes FIRST compared to xbox and ps2.. so i want a really nice picture..

240t is the one that has dvi

·
Registered
35 Posts
I also have the 240T as of last week and I am still having issues with getting the 1920X1200 resolutions with the Radeon 9700. I have spoken with ATI as well as Samsung and they both point at each other. Based on some of the other threads here it appears that it is an ATI driver issue. I can only get certain resolutions on games using the DVI. I have yet to get the full 1920X1200 glory on any games unless I am in analog mode. If anyone can figure this out that would rock. Unfortunately I travel all week and only have time to dabble on weekends.

Other than that the monitor is unbelievable. The brightness and resolution exceeded my expectations. The Windows Media HD demo of "Step Into Liquid" looks great.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Check ur PM for my email.

A fellow avs friend sent me this in an email .

Just to be safe, attached is the newest 240t xp

monitor driver (from www.samsungusa.com ).

Remember to use "List All Modes" and then select "1920

by 1200, True Color (32 bit), 60 Hertz".

also try the above.. also recommended by him.

if that doesnt work i will send u this driver.. we will figure it out.

If anyone else has any ideas, please chime in!

thanks alot!

ritchie

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ritchie,

I am not sure if I understand his issue. Is he

getting 1920x1200 with Windows? If not, he should try

the monitor driver I sent you and then go into list

modes and select 1920x1200 at 60hz. If he still is

having problems in Windows, he should (1) uninstall

powerstrip if it is installed, (2) go into safe mode

and delete the monitor...and the video card...and then

reinstall them during the next reboot with current

drivers.

If he is trying to get 1920x1200 in games, he may have

a problem. Frankly, I am not sure that any current

video card is good enough to push any game reasonably

at this resolution. On the other hand, if he is just

trying to have a game go full screen, all the games

should scale ok (....assuming that the resolution is

supported by the monitor...note: the specs on the

monitor need to be checked on this one). For example,

1280x1024 should be supported and will just scale up.

On the other hand, 1280x720 may not be supported by

the monitor. My general preference is to use a

reasonable resolution (for example, 1280x1024 or

1024x768) which is scaled to full screen and then

crank the anti-aliasing to x6 or x8. Most games look

absolutely amazing.

Well, those are some of my current thoughts.

Hopefully they will be of some use.

Regards,

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ritchie,

Got your messages. Thanks for the feedback. I travel all week so I will not be able to dabble until Friday of this week. However, based on your feedback and another thread I have established you need to do three things to get 1920X1200 DVI resolution:

1. Confirm the S/N and manufacturing date of your monitor. If it is manufactured over 6 months ago you may need to send it to Samsung for a firmware upgrade.

2. Install the latest 240T XP driver (the .exe you said you already have)

3. Under Settings/Advanced/Monitor uncheck the "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display"

This should get you up and running in full resolution glory.

As for the scaling and gaming resolutions. Yes games can be displayed at lower resolutions and then the monitor will scale them but I was hoping for a pure resolution and not a scaled one. Based on your friends response it may not be possible yet to play games at 1920X1200 in DVI. I can say though that the scaling that occurs does a pretty good job. The other alternative if you are a purist is to toggle the menu option on the monitor to display as "normal" instead of "expand 1" or "expand 2". This will bypass the scaling and allow you to play at its true resolution. Of course it centers it in the middle of your screen if you can live with the wasted space. Good thing screen burn is not an issue. Another approach is to use the analog input for games. The analog input generally give you higher resolution options. Of course the quality suffers a bit but it is all a matter of preference.

Let me know if the items above work for you when you recieve your monitor. Thanks again.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have had the samsung 240 t for at least three weeks now.. probably closer to a month. I have hooked it up to my xbox, ps2 and most importantly my PC.

I still am using a viewsonic nextvision5 for the ps2 and xbox hookup and I havent really played too many games on it only because i have been gaming hard on my pc.

the monitor is pretty much.. BAD ASS..

its hooked up via dvi and is running at full resolution and it looks amazing.

It does have one dead pixel.. (very small) and can only be seen if the screen is completely black and you have to know where it is. No big deal really. I wouldnt send it back for something like that.

I have been playing Day Of Defeat ( www.dayofdefeatmod.com ) on it quite a bit ( at least 30 hours) and i have no ghosting, no NOTHING. The game is running at 72 - 100 fps and it looks amazing.

i did have a chance to play some battlefield 1942 desert combat mod on it and it looked great as well.

I havent tested a game out on it like Quake 3 or Unreal tournament .. but im guessing it would keep up quite nicely. I think that quake or unreal may be a faster game then Day of defeat or Battlefield 1942 but I still think it would be fine.

The screen is huge and I really wouldnt want a much larger screen due to the fact that I sit a few feet away from it.

Day of defeat isnt even running in stretched mode.. its centered on the screen and is still large enough and I dont have to worry about burn in or nonsense like that.

I dont know of any monitor on the market that will even come close to this thing. It was manufactured in march or so of 2003.. so its basically about two months old..

Hope this helps..

feel free to post any questions..

Ritchie

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.