AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
19,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Samsung 3D Blu-ray players don't work

Quote:
A report on 3D Hollywood.net claimed that Samsung 3D Blu-ray players being sold in Best Buy don't work.

The site said it hardly matters as there are no 3D Blu-ray movies available yet. But it quotes industry insiders as saying that the Samsung players were tested with 3D movies and don't work at all.
http://www.techeye.net/hardware/sams...nt-work-report

·
Registered
HT Room: Atmos 7.1.4 with 117" 21:9 AT DYI screen & prism; Bedroom: Atmos 5.1.4 with 55" OLED
885 Posts
Here is the original article:
http://hollywoodinhidef.com/2010/03/...ays-dont-work/

I call BS on this.

That sounds like hearsay and rumors, and it does not add up. Both the HDMI and BD specs were finalized before Samsung announced the 3D stuff at the CEA, and most certainly has implemented all the BD and HDMI 1.4 requirements by now.

HDMI 1.4a might be a different story, though. I don't think any of the 3D TVs sold in the next 2 or 3 months will be 1.4a compliant, just 1.4. This means, they will support Frame Packing, but not Side-by-Side or Top-and-Bottom.

·
Registered
7,034 Posts
Possibly it was industry insiders that work for Panasonic or Sony.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
I'd probably call BS too if I hod not owned and used a BD-1000 ...

One could make a case that Samsung saved Bluray with that player.

I'm still sure Samsung will make it work for the most part. To much invested, it would seem to me.

·
Registered
HT Room: Atmos 7.1.4 with 117" 21:9 AT DYI screen & prism; Bedroom: Atmos 5.1.4 with 55" OLED
885 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER /forum/post/18294108

I'd probably call BS too if I hod not owned and used a BD-1000 ...

Good point!
That thing was awful.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I'm surprised that no one here has one yet. I played with a Samsung 3D Blu-ray player at CES, and it worked great. I had the remote and I could do everything that you can do with a standard Blu-ray player. The movie was Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs and the 3D was excellent.

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
The fact is no manufacturer's Blu-ray 3D player (Samsung, Panasonic and Sony) can yet be certain their players as they now stand are 100% complient to the specs. from the Blu-ray Disc Association and the HDMI 1.4a. That latter spec. was only finalized/released less than two weeks ago and the Blu-ray 3D spec. about 3 months ago. Sony isn't rushing by now selling only "3D ready" players and saying they will require a firmware update that will be released mid-year after the BD and HDMI certification testing is completed. The best we can hope is the hardware used in any of these 1st generation 3D players is compatible and a future firmware update can be used to bring the players into full compliance with both specs.

·
Banned
19,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones /forum/post/18299265

The fact is no manufacturer's Blu-ray 3D player (Samsung, Panasonic and Sony) can yet be certain their players as they now stand are 100% complient to the specs. from the Blu-ray Disc Association and the HDMI 1.4a. That latter spec. was only finalized/released less than two weeks ago and the Blu-ray 3D spec. about 3 months ago. Sony isn't rushing by now selling only "3D ready" players and saying they will require a firmware update that will be released mid-year after the BD and HDMI certification testing is completed. The best we can hope is the hardware used in any of these 1st generation 3D players is compatible and a future firmware update can be used to bring the players into full compliance with both specs.

Why would a 3D BD player have to be compliant with SbS or T/B 3D formats? 3D BD uses frame packed 1920x2205 for the frame sequential 3D format - which was already in 1.4

The 3DTVs yes - but 3D BD players? I don't see that.

·
Banned
19,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Update March 11: As the BDA members meet in Tokyo this week and have discussed this topic, the BDA has this week issued some certifications to several manufacturers, including Samsung. The same company spokesperson then sent this statement to 3DHollywood.net on March 11: “Samsung is fully committed to upholding all technology standards issued by the Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA). The Samsung Blu-ray player (BD-C6900) has passed all tests based on Blu-ray 3D test specification of BDA issued to date, and has officially obtained Blu-ray 3D certification at the authorized Testing Center. Samsung products that were shipped to the US prior to receiving final certification are 100% certified and do not require any modifications to play Blu-ray 3D discs.”
http://hollywoodinhidef.com/2010/03/...ays-dont-work/

·
Registered
885 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart /forum/post/18300045

Why would a 3D BD player have to be compliant with SbS or T/B 3D formats? 3D BD uses frame packed 1920x2205 for the frame sequential 3D format - which was already in 1.4

The 3DTVs yes - but 3D BD players? I don't see that.

That is correct, only the TVs will have to support all three formats: frame packing, side-by-side and top-bottom. The player devices only have to support one of them, so nothing dramatic changed between 1.4 and 1.4a for players.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
so you have to have a 3d tv to use a 3d blu ray player?

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
No, the 3D blu-ray players are fully backward compatible and will play 2D blu-ray disks.

Also you can play a 3D BR disk on them and ouput the content as 2D. The player does this by outputting only the Left Eye content on the disk.

·
Registered
88 Posts
However the content holder of the 3D material might not author the disc to allow "left eye only" playback. Sometimes the left eye and right eye are not indicitive of an actual 2D master. Film makers do not always agree that left eye playback should represent their vision...

·
Registered
2,453 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/18350473

The player does this by outputting only the Left Eye content on the disk.

It can be either Left or Right eye depending on how the movie was made...

·
Registered
860 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart /forum/post/18278272

Samsung 3D Blu-ray players don't work

http://www.techeye.net/hardware/sams...nt-work-report

I guess that was just the ones being sold at Best Buy because the ones at Sears work just fine. 3D demo worked fine, regular bluray worked. I didn't see any indication that there is any problems with Samsungs 3d bluray player.

Source story sounds bogus or they didn't get all the facts before releasing there article.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
^^^The Samsung contractors set up the 3D display at the Sears where I work last Friday afternoon. The UN55C7000 and the BD player were pulled from normal store stock (we had 2 of the tvs and 3 of the players), they were not shipped with the display fixture or brought by the contractors. They did bring the starter pack consisting of two pair of glasses and the MvA 3D BD. All works as advertised.

That 3D player (and the tv and glasses for that matter) have run 12 hours a day for 4 days now without a hiccup, which could not have been said for 1st gen BD players from Samsung or Sony that we had on display back in '06.

·
Registered
54 Posts
We've had similar problem-free performance from a UN46C7000 TV, BD-C6900 player and starter kit playing MvA. We've been demoing for several days here at Crutchfield with no issues.

Steve

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Skindig,

Would you please list what your 6900 and C7000 settings are? It may help others includinng the staff at some CE stores to know what their settings should be and it can also help those visiting stores as to what settings to have a store check when ghosting is a problem.

Also when you use the INFO button on your C7000 what resolution does it say the C7000 is receiving over the HDMI input connection you are using.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts