AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know if you get this new 3d bluray player will it work with the Samsung HL61A750 eliminating having to use a computer with this tv to get 3d

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
AFAIK the 750 uses the Nvidia 3D solution and accepts what is known as "chekerboard" input from it's PC based source. The Blu-ray 3d standard does not have "chekerboard" output. I have read that Mitsubishi will offer a converter box to convert BR output to chekerboard for use with their DLP units so may Samsung will offer a coverter also.

·
Registered
4,154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/18174724

AFAIK the 750 uses the Nvidia 3D solution and accepts what is known as "chekerboard" input from it's PC based source. The Blu-ray 3d standard does not have "chekerboard" output. I have read that Mitsubishi will offer a converter box to convert BR output to chekerboard for use with their DLP units so may Samsung will offer a coverter also.

From what I have read in other threads Samsung will not be offering an adapter, however also from what I have read their is a good likelihood that the Mitsubishi box will work wit the 3D capable Samsung DLPs since they use the same 3D circuitry.

·
Registered
7,032 Posts

Quote:

That's not nvidia's solution, that's TI's solution. The nvidia 3D Vision system can work with several technologies, including the TI checkerboard method.

And since Mits and Samsung used the same TI chip, Mits' converter should work just fine with the Samsungs. Obviously, we won't know for sure until it's released.

·
Registered
HT Room: Atmos 7.1.4 with 117" 21:9 AT DYI screen & prism; Bedroom: Atmos 5.1.4 with 55" OLED
885 Posts

Quote:

The Blu-ray standard does not specify the output format. Nothing stops a 3D Bly-ray player to also support the proprietary DLP Checkerboard format, in addition to the HDMI 1.4 formats (frame packing et al.), as long as the player's SOC can convert into that format.

·
Registered
306 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabaeus /forum/post/18256234

The Blu-ray standard does not specify the output format. Nothing stops a 3D Bly-ray player to also support the proprietary DLP Checkerboard format, in addition to the HDMI 1.4 formats (frame packing et al.), as long as the player's SOC can convert into that format.

thanks for info but sicktwistedfreak has purchased one of these samsung 3d players and i was asking him to let me know if it did play checkerboard.

·
Registered
6,710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by destiny 21 /forum/post/18174510

does anyone know if you get this new 3d bluray player will it work with the Samsung HL61A750 eliminating having to use a computer with this tv to get 3d

You're not limited to just using a PC for 3D. You can also use a Xbox 360 and Playstation 3. Of course, having said that, both consoles only have two games on them that are Stereo 3D compatible. James Cameron's Avatar the game and Invincible Tiger: The Legend of Han Tao. Invincible Tiger is available via Xbox Live or Playstation Network as a downloadable only game. Avatar is a disk based game available at all the retailers. You also need an emitter and shutterglasses of course.

Sony's big Stereo 3D firmware upgrade that is coming in the Summer may or may not work with your Samsung. Supposedly, it will require a 3D ready display with hdmi 1.4, but we won't know absolutely for sure until they release the firmware and we can confirm it. Still, developers can make Stereo 3D games that will work with the older 3D Ready displays (non hdmi 1.4), but they have to code it in specifically for the 3D formats they are compatible with. Sony's firmware upgrade might allow many PS3 games to work in 3D, without needing to be specially coded for it.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicktwistedfreak /forum/post/18261451

It does do checkerboard!

That is good to know. I have a Mitsubishi WD-65835 has the 3D port. It would be nice not having to buy a converter box.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm assuming it's the samsung BD-C6900 blu ray player that sicktwistedfreak picked up. Do I also need a transmitter or something that plugs into the 3d port on the back of my HL61A750?

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
it is not clear from sicktwistedfreek's post that he picked up a Mits dlp, a c7000 3D TV or blu-ray player since all he confirmed was that it played DLP checkerboard. Hopefully since the Samsung c7000 supports checkerboard format input the 6900 blu-ray player also provides checkerboard output format. In any case we will know tomorrow (3/10) if it does.

·
Registered
7,032 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by radicledog /forum/post/18276894

I'm assuming it's the samsung BD-C6900 blu ray player that sicktwistedfreak picked up. Do I also need a transmitter or something that plugs into the 3d port on the back of my HL61A750?

It depends upon the glasses you get. If they are "DLP-Link" glasses, no you do not need an emitter.

If they aren't, you'll need the specific emitter that works with the glasses.

·
Registered
306 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by radicledog /forum/post/18276894

looks like samsung 3d players will not support checkerboard.

·
Registered
319 Posts
so what's the latest? Clearly after E3 we can see many new reasons to use 3D especially for us PS3 owners.

I have heard nothing but negatives as far as being able to use 3D with our tvs.

Does anyone have detailed information as to how we can utilize 3D with the HL61A750 Samsung and PS3?

·
Registered
306 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhyrock /forum/post/18800142

so what's the latest? Clearly after E3 we can see many new reasons to use 3D especially for us PS3 owners.

I have heard nothing but negatives as far as being able to use 3D with our tvs.

Does anyone have detailed information as to how we can utilize 3D with the HL61A750 Samsung and PS3?

it looks like the 3d gaming and 3d movies on the ps3 are a no go for samsung 3d dlp owners.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by knobby /forum/post/18800262

it looks like the 3d gaming and 3d movies on the ps3 are a no go for samsung 3d dlp owners.

A gefen with a Mitsubishi EDID along with the Mits 3DA-1 adapter still might work. I wouldn't lose all hope just yet.

·
Registered
319 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb16 /forum/post/18800286

A gefen with a Mitsubishi EDID along with the Mits 3DA-1 adapter still might work. I wouldn't lose all hope just yet.

I'm still a n00b when it comes to 3D. Can you fill me in on what you're talking about? If you don't want to post here you can always PM me.

Either way I never rule anything out, because I can usually find a way to do something. I would imagine there is a market for people with slightly older tvs that technically will support 3D.

Someone on another thread said there might be an adapter for $500, but I didn't get the specifics.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts