AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here have experience with the Samsung 40" PLK405W TV. Any comments good, bad or indifferent would be appreciated.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have not seen this TV but from what I understand this TV only does 480P.

In other words, it will not display 720 or 1080I for HDTV formats.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The specs on the set show that it only does 480p even though Samsung list the set on their HDTV page. I'm asking because BestBuy has the set on their website for $1599. Was looking to hook it up to Wintv-HD card through a AudioAuthority converter box. Inexpensive wide screen set.

·
Registered
772 Posts
When I started hunting for my HD set, I was interested in going lcd projection. But then I saw the PLK405W in person, and next to a Mistu rptv, it's image seemed washed out.

Then I was thinking about waiting for the fLCD sets, but it took too long and at their price, I could buy a Panny plasma that beats the fLCD in both picture quality and dimensions.

MMAfia

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks MMAfia,

I read your comments on the RCA MM36110. I take it you would say this has a better picture than the Samsung

·
Registered
772 Posts
Definitely NO comparison in picture quality between the MM36110 and the samsung. The MM36110 stunned me at first -> I was totally expecting lame picture quality when I saw the RCA insignia, but then I saw the picture, and literally had to rub my eyes. I was like, "THIS is an RCA???".

MMAfia

·
Registered
235 Posts
I second that, MMAfia. The RCA 36MM110 has a stunning picture for a 4x3 TV. I happen to own one and I am completely satisfied.

Best Buy now has it listed for $1699.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
I had a PLK405W for about a month. I sold it because I decided that I really did want progressive scan input and HDTV after all.

Don't be misled by that 480p nonsense. The PLK405W only accepts a 480i interlaced signal on its sole set of component inputs. It then line-doubles the signal with its internal line-doubler and displays a 480p picture. It cannot accept a progressive scan input from a PG scan DVD player or set-top box. This means you are limited to interlaced DVD players and watching HDTV via s-video.

Having said all that, I thought that the picture, for what I paid for it in January ($1,850), was pretty good for DVDs. I just decided that HDTV and HTPC would be worth the extra $1,000 that it would cost me (got an NEC VT540 projector for $2,995), so I sold the PLK405W on eBay and bought the NEC.

------------------

Scott Gammans

Another satisfied NEC VT540 owner
The Scooterplex Cinema 1

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Just a quick follow-up, for anyone considering one of Samsung's 40" LCD RPTVs:

If you want to be able to use a progressive 480p signal, Samsung's model SLK407W is exactly the same as the PLK405W, but unlike the PLK it can accept a 480p signal on its component inputs. This is the only difference between the PLK405W and the SLK407W (that, and the SLK has an MSRP about $900 higher).

------------------

Scott Gammans

Another satisfied NEC VT540 owner
The Scooterplex Cinema 1

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.