AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got the Samsung 4096 1080P LCD panel HDTV. I've been using the Toshiba SD 3950SU with component cables up until about a month ago. I had no complaints but I was attracted to the Oppo 981 (read the many positive online reviews of this unit) so I had to give it a try. Well, after about a month (actually a day), I have come to the conclusion that the old Toshiba (purchased in 2003) looks better than the glorious Oppo 981! You read it right, the Oppo did not improve picture quality over the Toshiba! And, yes, I did have a reasonable expectation of what this unit was designed to do, and no, I did not think it would give me an HD DVD or Blu-Ray performance, either.

Now, I'm not as technical as you guys but it seems that the old Toshiba performed better set at 480I or 480P, then allowing the Samsung's scalers / internal processing to do the rest of the work. I don't know why I don't see the spectacular results that you all testify to, but maybe the Samsung's scaler / processor just isn't all that bad. I'm starting to think that if you have a good scaler in your higher-end HDTV, one just doesn't need an upconverting DVD player.

For now, I'll keep the Oppo 981 because the audio capabilities on this thing is impressive, but when Samsung updates the 1024 FW "upgrade" (Justcan Mode), I'll have the firmware installed to allow for 1:1 pixel mapping, but if there's no improvement in the Oppo's PQ, it will be listed on Ebay.

Thoughts?

·
One-Man Content Creator
25,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab2ab /forum/post/0

For now, I'll keep the Oppo 981 because the audio capabilities on this thing is impressive, but when Samsung updates the 1024 FW "upgrade" (Justcan Mode), I'll have the firmware installed to allow for 1:1 pixel mapping, but if there's no improvement in the Oppo's PQ, it will be listed on Ebay.

Thoughts?

Make no decisions until you have 1:1 pixel mapping. See: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...post10228310

Use a calibration disc: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&post9889995

-Bill

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.