AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this a better alternative to the Sharp? Seems to avoid the problems of that boat anchor box that creates problems anyway. With this unit you can just run a DVI switcher with dual 1080p I presume.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I have seen little in looking at this screen -- so far -- that suggests its worth owning at all. The video is very unimpressive, so what you can or cannot hookup doesn't seem important.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I agree the Samsung 46" was horrible on first viewing. Still no word on whether or not any of the inputs support 1080p on it either.

As for the "boat anchor" on the Sharp 45", there are two models due imminently which integrate that funtionality. Indeed my only reservation with going with either of those two new Sharps is that it is not clear whether either of them will support 1080p on any of their inputs. The advantage of the "boat anchor" model is that the scaler is in the AVC box and, hence, the connection between "boat anchor" and panel is 1080p. Several posters have reported great success in passing 1080p directly to the panel (bypassing the "boat anchor").

I'd like to comment, however, that I just re-viewed the Samsung 46" panel at the Magnolia Hi-Fi in San Ramon, CA. They've now had a lot of time with it and have found out how to make it look pretty darn good. They're running a brightly lit HD stream to it! And placing it near several Mitsu and Samsung DLP RPTVs helps as well. I'd say the Samsung 46" certainly held its own in terms of black detail and clarity of picture with any of the DLP RPTVs nearby. Notably, they kept the Samsung panel far away from ANY of the plasmas (e.g. Fujitsu 50 & 55, Pioneer Elite 43 & 50, etc...) :)

Still aching to find a SF Bay Area store to display the Sharp 45"...

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I actually think the integrated Sharps will be "worse" with regard to this kind of issue. The AVC functionality is effectively integrated and can't be bypassed.

I'm curious to hear that the Samsung looked beter. At the Magnolia in Palo Alto, it looked awful, but perhaps they'll do the same thing and improve it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.