AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering buying Samsung 4665 (or 4661, if room brightness is a big factor). Will put in den with a lot of light. Have Sony 27" XBR2 tube TV now. Viewing distance is 10' to 14'. Want to put on an articulating wall mount on a wing wall and rotate up to 180 degrees. Think Sony XBR4 is too expensive. Any experiences with these TV's in a bright room? The contrast ratio on the 4665 makes the picture seem better than the 4661. Haven't seen regular digital or HiDef TV on either. Currently have a Sony 23" LCD in bedroom and watching with an antenna in the attic. Had some issues getting the signals to all the digital stations. Would there be any signal issues with the Samsungs?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I'm actually curious about the difference between these two as well. I believe the 4661 has a matte screen vs. glossy and a slightly lower contrast ratio. I've got a 46" 4665 that circuit city is going to be swapping for a new one tomorrow (made weird power relay clicking sounds), but maybe trading down to a 4661 might be worth looking into. Do both of these units use HDMI v1.3 spec inputs?

·
Registered
713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXiRoNMaN /forum/post/12930761

^ mine makes those clicking sounds as well. i've read around and most people seem to be saying it's normal

I think it depends on the clicking. Mine sounds like the power relays inside and not necessarily clicking from the plastic expanding/contracting as the set heats up when powered on and cooling off when you turn it off. Then again, maybe you are referring to what I'm actually talking about. In any case, a new one is showing up tomorrow. I guess it can't hurt to see if the new one doesn't have the issue... hopefully it just doesn't have OTHER issues

·
Registered
14 Posts
....I have the 4661 in a well lit room and have zero issues with glare/reflections (it has the matte screen while the 4665 is glossy/glass-like). 14' is quite a stretch for a 46" viewing distance. Mine is currently 9' and I wouldn't consider any further than that. However, if you're presently used to a 27" I would say the 46" would obviously be an improvement (even at that range).

Nickeleye, in the diagrams (in the manual) showing various ways to hook sources up to the TV via HDMI, they specifically label the connections as "HDMI 1.3 Cable". I didn't find the actual specs for the inputs themselves so I'm not sure if the above meant that inputs are actually 1.3 compliant or not. ....I'm sure it's in there (I just didn't look that hard).

As for the relay "clicking" issue, I can't say that I've ever noticed unusual or distracting noises from my TV.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I would assume that meant HDMI 1.3 as well. I have a hard time believing 1.3 wouldn't be included on a TV this recent.

As far as the noise is concerned, it only happens during the first minute or so after turning it on and after turning it off. There are no strange clicking noises during normal viewing... only during power on/off.

I really do love the TV so far, but I just wanted to see if there are any other solutions out there that might be equal to or better, but without spending a lot more money. The thing is I got a good deal on my 4665 do I think upgrading to anything else is going to cost me a minimum of another $500. On the flipside, if the 4661 essentially does the same thing as the 4665, but with a matte screen, maybe it's worth the "downgrade" if there's a good financial reason for doing so.

·
Registered
19 Posts
"As far as the noise is concerned, it only happens during the first minute or so after turning it on and after turning it off. There are no strange clicking noises during normal viewing... only during power on/off."

ya mine does the same thing.

i was originally going to get the 4661 but at Circuit City last week the 4665 was only like 100 bucks more. it's been great so far, except for the fact i can't adjust the sharpness (which from what i've read is a firmware issue)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kean /forum/post/12931052

....I have the 4661 in a well lit room and have zero issues with glare/reflections (it has the matte screen while the 4665 is glossy/glass-like). 14' is quite a stretch for a 46" viewing distance. Mine is currently 9' and I wouldn't consider any further than that. However, if you're presently used to a 27" I would say the 46" would obviously be an improvement (even at that range).

Nickeleye, in the diagrams (in the manual) showing various ways to hook sources up to the TV via HDMI, they specifically label the connections as "HDMI 1.3 Cable". I didn't find the actual specs for the inputs themselves so I'm not sure if the above meant that inputs are actually 1.3 compliant or not. ....I'm sure it's in there (I just didn't look that hard).

As for the relay "clicking" issue, I can't say that I've ever noticed unusual or distracting noises from my TV.

In the showroom playing an HD-DVD the 4665 is noticeably sharper than the 4661 from 10-12'. With a very small price difference, it seems a better choice if it works in the light of the room. Reading all the comments. it seem to be a try it and see situation. Then take it back if it doesn't work right.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I recently purchased the 4665 and my wife calls me today to tell me that a show that she is watching on WTTW (Digital) has an echo. Could this be an issue with Comcast, the 4665, or the DVR cable box? I did note the other night when I turned on both my stereo (RC cables to the TV) and with the audio on the Sammy (HDMI cables to the DVR) that there seemed to be a delay or echo between the TV and the stereo. Anyone run into this before? How might it be rectified?

·
Registered
463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauly99 /forum/post/12981938

I recently purchased the 4665 and my wife calls me today to tell me that a show that she is watching on WTTW (Digital) has an echo. Could this be an issue with Comcast, the 4665, or the DVR cable box? I did note the other night when I turned on both my stereo (RC cables to the TV) and with the audio on the Sammy (HDMI cables to the DVR) that there seemed to be a delay or echo between the TV and the stereo. Anyone run into this before? How might it be rectified?

I think everyone is running into this...

One thing that may work (have not tried it yet) is to run the RCA audio out from the TV into a receiver that can delay the audio to the speakers (mine can't). This would work if the audio from the TV is NOT being delayed to match the timing of the TV's speakers.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Obcessive Compulsive Dissorder Sufferer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a Samsung 4665 with no problems. I really like this T.V. I liked some other sets slightly more (mentioned below) but could not justify the extra money they wanted versus what little PQ or feature upgrade they offered

I spent 2 years watching the evolution of the lcd tech. and the price declines before I finally got "serious". I then spent 3 months reading reviews and forums. Then I spent 1 month going into the stores on a daily basis to compare the PQ of the displays. By "compare", I mean I bugged the store people to change settings, signals, show me menu's, remote control's, turn up the lighting in the room, turn the lighting off in the room, etc., etc. All the while I was dailing monitoring the pricing of the sets via online graphing and robo shoppers.

I finally had it narrowed down to my size and brand wishes. I liked the Sony "w", the 'XBR4", Samsung 4665 and the 4671.

I then started my negotiation process with the sales people, who by this time just wanted me to "go away". I had aqquired so much info on these TV's, that it was clearly evident that the sales people who were selling them were just telling the customers whatever they thought or could make-up to sell them a TV that day. I constantly would over hear a sales person tell some poor customer some B.S. I knew to be false and would correct them. I wound up being asked to leave a B.B. store by the manager because all their potential customers had slowly congregated around me and started picking my brain with questions, ignoring the constant intervention by the sales staff to try and sell them a T.V.

The sales manager who finally sold me the T.V. spent an hour, not trying to sell me a T.V., but wanted me to teach him all the stuff I had learned about the differant panels, maufacturing processes, problems reported to be associated with each panel, board or firmware, etc. He then went back in the office and came back with a list of all the T.V's they had and their bottom line store costs. I couldn't believe it when he told me to take my pick and he would sell it to me at their total cost for being so helpful to him. I wound up getting the set I wanted (brand new in the box) for less than what the cheapest refurbished set I could find on the internet.

Since my purchase months ago I have continued to read the forums, reviews and checked the pricing (they have gone up considerably).

It is clear to me that their are bad apples in every bunch. Each of the models have had some problems, there are those people who got lucky with nice sets and those who got lemons. Some brands and models are definately better than others, but then they cost considerably more. For those of us who are not rich and cannot afford to spend good money only to be stuck with a faulty purchase, it can be quite minefield to have to walk through.

I can't wait till it gets warm again here in Michigan so I can go golfing, forget about T.V.'s and obcess about something else.

SIGNED:

Needs Therapy But Can't Afford It, Spent All My Money On A Friggin T.V.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a Samsung 46 inch LN-T4665F tv and I love it. Yesterday I switched from Comcast cable to Direct TV. I am using the HD settings found on message 1499 of this forum and they worked amazing when I was hooked up to Comcast but when I switched to Direct TV yesterday the HD picture doesn't look as sharp as it did with cable. Any suggestions as to what I should tweak to get the sharpness I had on cable? I'm using an HDMI connection.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts