AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neighbor bought the Samsung 4665 from Circuit City and paid them to install it. What a joke CC is a bunch of idiots. He bought a dvd/surround system with HDMI. CC ignored all HDMI and ran componet cables and never even ran the sound for the satellite through the receiver.

Here is the problem though. He has a Directv HD receiver with DVI. I ran a dvi-hdmi cable from it to the tv and also tried running it through the receiver. Both would say signal loss and when it did not say signal loss there were white dots on the screen that looked like snow. The dots do not show up with component cables. Could this be the tv or the directv receiver?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone have a suggestion??

·
Registered
6,578 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by allworld /forum/post/12882530

My neighbor bought the Samsung 4665 from Circuit City and paid them to install it. What a joke CC is a bunch of idiots. He bought a dvd/surround system with HDMI. CC ignored all HDMI and ran componet cables and never even ran the sound for the satellite through the receiver.

Here is the problem though. He has a Directv HD receiver with DVI. I ran a dvi-hdmi cable from it to the tv and also tried running it through the receiver. Both would say signal loss and when it did not say signal loss there were white dots on the screen that looked like snow. The dots do not show up with component cables. Could this be the tv or the directv receiver?

I have no idea, but your directv HD DVR should have an HDMI out, instead of DVI. Are you sure you are on the right input for the tv? You have different inputs for HDMI, component, etc.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is an older HD receiver and does not have dvr. The tv has 3 HDMI inputs and I tried both that are in the back, did not try the one on the side.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've seen where the sat receiver needs the output set to DVI ! It might be setup for

component out right now and needs to be changed.

John

·
Registered
70 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by allworld /forum/post/12882530

You might want to check out this thread:
Official Samsung LN-TXX61F/65F/66F Owner's Thread III - with *updated* first post.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=847465

They discuss an issue with dropped signals through HDMI, possibly involving a firmware update and/or mainboard replacement. I can't say for sure that's what you're experiencing though. If you can get another HDMI source, perhaps that can help you confirm the issue. I find it a bit suspicious that CC folks set up the TV with component rather than HDMI if the ports/cables/hardware was available. Perhaps they are aware of HDMI issues and were hoping you wouldn't notice.

FYI, I have a 4661. Well, I have a defective 4661. Video (no sound) came thru HDMI for about 5 minutes before it went completely black. When was the unit made?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnydee /forum/post/12904325

I've seen where the sat receiver needs the output set to DVI ! It might be setup for

component out right now and needs to be changed.

John

I changed the sat receiver to DVI.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYRK /forum/post/12913658

How do you change it?? I think that's my problem.

There was a button on the front panel that changes the video output between compenent and dvi

·
Registered
38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by allworld /forum/post/12917569

There was a button on the front panel that changes the video output between compenent and dvi

I have a hr20 and I can't find a button on the front panel.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will have to look at my neighbors receiver and see which one he has

1 - 11 of 11 Posts