AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 4695 with a motorola cable box and a yamaha receiver. with the cable box hooked up to the receiver with an optical cable I get 5.1 Dolby Digital on my HD Channels. the cable box is hooked up to my tv with an HDMI cable. If I unplug the optical from the back of the cable box and plug it into the optical out of the Tv I get audio on the receiver but not 5.1 dolby digital on HD channels. so if i let the audio go to the TV with the HDMI and then from the TV to the receiver with optical it isn't functioning properly. I have no idea what could be going wrong...any ideas?

my father has a sharp aquos 37'' with the same cable box as me and a sony receiver. Hooking up the HDMI from the cable box to his TV and then running optical from the TV to the receiver he gets 5.1 dolby digital on the HD channels. what gives here? why does this work with his setup and not mine? My guess is something is up with the TV...any help would be greatly appreciated!

thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippZopp /forum/post/0

anyone? any takers on this?

The Samsung 4695, apparently, does not decode Dolby signal from its HDMI input. The manual for your cable box may mention a warning for HDMI connections and the inability for the TV to decode the Dolby signal. Interestingly, the TV is able to properly decode Dolby signals from OTA broadcasts.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.