AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been researching and doing my best to understand all of the HDTV types out there but I've never asked for help here.

I have an entertainment center already that can hold 200-250lbs set and is off the ground by about 2.5-3 feet. (I don't want to get rid of my entertainment center (it's brand new) and I'm trying to avoid the following:

A HDTV that is:

Too bulky

Too heavy

Needs replacement lamps (DLP...so sad, almost the perfect choice)

Is priced over 1.5K...while I prefer a 1K

Is at least...but preferred bigger than 32inches

I've looked at LCD's, DLP’s, Tube, and Plasma's but I haven’t really looked at Projection HDTV’s (yes DLP is a version of projection I know) because I thought they were too bulky.

I recently found this at Sears Samsung 47inch Projection HDTV (Model # HCR4755W) and for the price, size of screen, and smaller than standard projection TV’s it looked like the perfect choice.

I can set it on my 3 foot entertainment center table and it should look OK considering it’s MUCH smaller base. (But yes…this is still in question)

I’ve also looked at the Syntax Olivia (32 & 37inch) LCD HDTV’s but the bigger one is on the high end of my budget.

Projector TV’s would not work in my living room and also have the detestable lamp replacement issues like he DLP (while I know a lot of people love their DLP’s and live with lamp replacement I don’t care to be one)

Plasma’s can be had close to the price range I’m in but those “close†to my price range are EDTV’s and I don’t want that either.

SO…I’m here just waiting for new technologies to come which seem to never get here and trying to get the HDTV I need so that when my HTPC get’s built I’ll have a screen for it. I will be doing my HDTV viewing on this TV and use my HTPC with it (play games, go online, office programs/work, etc) so I need the best bang for the buck I can get.

I really don’t want the same size screen I have now (32 inches) but I don’t want (and my entertainment center cant fit it without looking out of whack) something HUGE either. 40 inch screen would be perfect but I can go up to 47 without issue.

It seems technology is not moving fast enough for me right now or is priced out of my budget…but as most guys can understand (waiting sucks…lol).

Yes, I’ve heard of the slim fit tube HDTV’s coming…but they still weigh a lot and they are stuck at the current size of 30 inches (Samsung has one out at Sears also). Samsung also has a LCD coming in at 40inches but they are in the high 2K range and that’s way outside my budget.

What to do…what to do????

Samsung’s get great reviews most of the time…but I could not find anything for this particular Projection HDTV. As in the HTPC section…I’m a newbie in search for some guidance…hoping that someone can help me out.

I have never owned a Projection TV so I need some testimonials and good vs bad comparison. Heck…maybe you have to replace lamps with Projection TV’s also and I just don’t know it. But…so far I’ve seen:

DLP Lamps last only (1-5K hours) and lamp replacement annoys me

LCD TV’s last (50K “for the Syntax I researched†hours) & prices are falling slowly

Tube HDTV’s are fat hogs

Normal Projection TV’s are massive beasts

Plasma’s are too pricey

What to do……???

:confused:

Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I guess...what I want does not exist yet...sad really...lol

I just got done doing another round of research and things seem to be getting even more complicated. It seems nothing new comes around without strings attached...

"It's great...but..."

·
Registered
235 Posts
After reading all that meandering, I'm still not even sure what, if any, questions you actually have for this forum.

This is the rear projection forum...do you have a question about a rear projection TV?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had alot of the same issues you have.. space limitations.. budget limitations, etc.. and I searched and searched and ended up buying the Samsung HC-R4755W.. I love it! It has an amazing HD OTA picture and the built in receiver works great. I use S-Video connections to go from Dish receiver to Tivo to TV, and that seems to help a good bit with Standard Def pictures.. Sam's Club has this TV for $999 and that also includes a very nice stand. It did take me about a week of tweaking the picture to get it where I wanted it, but now it is excellent.. I am not by any means a A/V expert, so you may be able to get your tweaking time down considerably.. I have not hooked the Playstation into it yet, but I am planning on it tonight so if you are interested I can post a review on that as well. For a TV that is half the price of comparable DLP or RLCD sets this is a steal.. Good Luck.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
YES YES...feed more more information...waiting on MORE opinions like a baby waiting for milk...LOL :D

Since I want to use it as my computer monitor for my HTPC (to play PC games also) I want to make sure that I wont have any issues while playing games.

More info please!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.