AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at getting the Samsung DLP HLN507W as well as the HD931 dvd player so I can take advantage of the dvi 480p-720p upconversion. I was out at C.C. the other day, and one of the employees said that only movies that are encoded in HD will automatically upconvert to 720p. I thought that you needed a special new blue laser in able to view HD dvd's which aren't even out yet. It seems strange that Samsung would release a dvd player with a feature that none of the discs support yet. Does this employee know what he is talking about? Thanks for the help

·
Registered
268 Posts
No, he doesn't. The Samsung HD931, Momitsu, Bravo, and other current and soon to be released "HD" players all upconvert ALL DVDs to both 720p and 1080i over DVI. Anyone of these are a wonderful match with a Samsung DLP. The only true High Definition DVD players soon to come out will be those with WM9 playback capability. There are many posts about these players in the DVD Player forum.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Quote:
Does this employee know what he is talking about?
Nope.

Let's try CC homepage:

Quote:
Experience movies the way they're supposed to be with Samsung's stylish High Definition DVD player. While the sleek exterior is easy on the eyes, it's what's inside that makes the difference. Even those without HDTV will see a marked improvement in their on-screen image, thanks to Samsung's scale-up technology.
??? What are they talking about? Why "scale-up" without HDTV?

Let's try Samsung.com:

Quote:
Video Format Converter

A normal DVD player transmits a video signal to 480i output when playing a DVD Title (480i/480p). Even with a progressive scanning DVD player, it simply outputs a video signal of 480i-to-480p. However, Samsung DVDHD931 enables you to enjoy an HDTV compliant picture with an ordinary DVD Title, thanks to its scale-up to 720p/1080i.
That's better. But you should read more about the player here on AVS, search for "black crush"...

·
Registered
16,165 Posts
As you'll see on this forum, there are issues with all the currently available DVI out players. I'm waiting for the next generation (a lot of different brands, including Panasonic, Toshiba, LG, Phillips, Denon, and 2 new models from Samsung) were at the CES show, so the wait will only be a few months).

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Keep in mind that everything you ever view on a Samsung DLP will be upconverted to 720p one way or another. That's all it does - display a 720p picture.

DVD's played on a $1000 player with built in upconversion technology - played in 720p on your TV.

DVD's played on a $30 DVD player you picked up at the grocery store - played in 720p on your TV.

Old reruns on crappy cable channels - played in 720p on your TV.

Those VHS tapes of your sisters wedding filmed with a $350 analog camera - yep, those will be played in glorious 720p on your DLP, even though they will look like total crap (no offense to your sister).

·
Coyote Waits
27,308 Posts
One more note of clarification.

All DVDs are 480i. A progressive DVD player will do the conversion to 480p (progressive) from 480i (interleaved). The Samsung DLP TV will, in most cases, do a better job of converting 480i to 480p because of the Faroudja chip it has.

When you use the current and coming DVI DVD players they allow you to convert 480i all the way to 720p without ever going into analog mode. That prevents conversion errors from digital > analog > digital conversions. Most people who have used this method like the results. It's not HD. It's just a much cleaner way to get the 480i digital information to the Samsung's 720p screen -- sort of. :rolleyes:

I would wait for the next generation DVI DVD players too. I don't have a DLP TV yet. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.