AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
What television stand are you using (make/model)?

·
Registered
634 Posts
G-man,

Nice screen-shot of the Samsung! How do you like your set?? I am leaning towards a Samsung DLP, and am awaiting the arrival of their HLN567W. Do you ever see the infamous rainbows. That is the only quibble I have, but I've never seen them personally and I've looked at their sets for a few hours now. I'm only worried that guests I invite over may see them.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I see the rainbows only occasionally. Perhaps once in every three movies I watch I notice a fleeting rainbow. Not a big deal at all – much better than a few dead pixels on the LCD and burn-in on the CRT. I’m pleased with the picture of this TV on DVDs and when I get the set with DNIe, I hope I’ll be satisfied with SD TV too.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
rainbows are not an issue for me either. hell i never noticed anything untill i read about it here and went looking for them. if you dont go excessively looking for them you will never see them, IMHO.

·
Registered
518 Posts
That's a nice G-D picture G-D. I love my DLP too, and totally agree about hunting for rainbows; remember what happened to Dorothy and Toto!

·
Registered
641 Posts
GeneticDrift: THANK YOU for the great picture as I too will be viewing with regular analog cable (may go to satellite), though I do not have the TV yet.

I'm looking to get the 46" when it comes out. Here's my question, WHERE did you get that beautiful STAND in the picture and how much was it? Just gotta have it! Thanks

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GeneticDrift
picture attatched is from regular cable in 4:3 format. provides some insight into picture quality with regular cable feed.................very good!
Hmm, can you give us some more details about what you are using to receive your "regular cable" signal? i.e. what box and what cables and which input are you using to view this signal. There have been some discussions on which boxes provide better SD signals, the TS160 that I own being among the bottom feeders when it comes to SD. :(

I can tell you right now that SD DirecTV looks absolutely NOTHING like this in terms of picture quality through the TS160 via the DVI input. It is honestly and truly VHS quality on most stations. OTA DTV is better and of course HDTV is pretty darn good.

I plan on trying out the S-video connection from the TS160 to the HLN617W tonight to see if the picture is any better.

Later,

Jeff

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Iceblade
Hmm, can you give us some more details about what you are using to receive your "regular cable" signal?
Looking at his gear it appears as if cable is provided by a General Instrument (Motorola) DCT2XXX cable box.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
im using the s-video output with the motorola box in the picture. not exactly sure of the model number. s-video is so much better than the other outputs with a side by side comparo using the pip feature.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Bought my HLN507W from docdvd (Josh Lehman). It arrived Friday. Build date is 2/2003, and I didn't write down the FW version.

The setup is as follows:

Apex 5131 (boo!) non-progressive DVD player into Component 1

Scientific Atlanta HD cable box (model?) from Time Warner into component 2

Tivo Series 1 recorder into S-video 1

(S-video out from cable box into Tivo)

(DVD)

OOTB, the set was fairly horrid. 20 minutes with Avia gave a much more pleasing effect. Sharpness settings seemed to have no effect on the picture at all.

Some scenes from the Fifth Element were rather stunning at this point.

Then I put in Sleepy Hollow, LOTR and the Matrix and started seeing the clay faces, blotchiness, and color banding that people have talked about. Saw it enough to bother me. Really bother me.

DNIe (that's what the button on the remote is labelled, no? The one with the demo mode) made things worse; turned it off.

Josh then emailed me that he had spent all weekend calibrating 4 sets identical to mine (that had come in the same shipment) and they all 4 came out to the same numbers, and would I be interested in an "online" calibration for a reduced ISF fee?

He asked me not to share the SM settings that he gave me, and I agreed. Please don't ask :)

Result: Clay faces were dramatically reduced. Color banding was dramatically reduced. Blotchiness was gone. Blacks were BLACK. I'm much happier, and it was money well spent.

Clay faces weren't eliminated completely, and I noticed a color shift, but we agreed that it's likely a result of my POS DVD player -- which looked just FINE on the circa-1989 26" JVC that the Sammy replaced :)

(SD/HD)

Time Warner didn't get the HD cable box working until yesterday. Component output on this box looks very good on some SD channels, and ranges all the way down to poor on others. The difference may be analog v. digital channels, I'm not sure. Luckily, the HBO, Showtime, etc. channels all seem to look quite good.

HD signals look very good, with perhaps a touch more artifacts (minor jaggies & crawlies, mainly) than I'd expected in a couple of cases. Overall, I think I'm pleased with the HD performance. Hard to tell when I only watched the news. Too bad there's only 4 HD channels, plus Fox in 480p wide-screen.

(Tivo via S-video)

Ranges from "Just Okay" down to "Horrible". Tivo is always at "Best Quality" and there are compression artifacts on static screens. Grain. The channels which look very good coming out of the component outputs of the cable box are at best "decent" when coming through the Tivo. TBS looks like a VCR tape that's been recorded over too many times. Nearly unwatchable in some cases. Yuck.

Overall, I'm very pleased. I'm in the market for a new DVD player, but don't want to spend too much on one until the DVI ones are out and stable.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Oh, and note that I'm not sure if the Tivo picture quality is the fault of the cable box's S-Video output, or the Tivo itself. I suppose I could hook up the cable to the RF-In jack of the Tivo directly and see if I can't get a decent picture.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by smalloy
Josh then emailed me that he had spent all weekend calibrating 4 sets identical to mine (that had come in the same shipment) and they all 4 came out to the same numbers, and would I be interested in an "online" calibration for a reduced ISF fee?

He asked me not to share the SM settings that he gave me, and I agreed. Please don't ask :)
The only thing more annoying that you is Samsung! ;-)

It really seams as if the basic set up of these set is not even a good attempt at correct. It is really kind of sad actually. If they need a head turning attention getting mode on the TV why not build one in. Call it Store Display mode ;-) They went through the bother with DNIe and the demo mode why not one for the screwed eye catching mode.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sorry, but my choice was agree to keep my mouth shut, or not get the settings. I chose the settings :)

Josh did say that the OOTB color temp was a lot closer to 5000K than 6500K. He also had me turn off DNIe (DCDi?) as he agreed that it made problems worse.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Sorry to be a trouble maker:) This TV is great, and once calibrated, it rivals the very best CRT tubes, if not surpasses them, in overall performance. I have done a dozen of these sets now, and they are all measuring out at around 6500-6560 degrees from 20IRE to 100IRE. I have also got gamma to the proper setting, as well as eliminated red push and some other dreads. This is a great TV!

·
Registered
570 Posts
This deal with Josh sounds neat. I am very interested in getting ISF level picutre quality, especially without paying the heavy price. Do you mind telling us how much you paid? I wonder if he would be willing so share his experience (for the right price) with others.

Thanks,

RDaneel

·
Registered
774 Posts
I am Josh if you all don't know that, by the way. I can also arrange for an ISF guy to come and calibrate at your house if you prefer. Email me at [email protected] and we can discuss it.

·
Registered
641 Posts
When I get my HLN467w can I pay someone to send me the best possible settings without them coming to the house, though CAN come if needed. I live in Central Illinois. I suspect a detail set of printed instructions and settings would do the trick!

1 - 20 of 176 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.