AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To anyone that may take the time to help.... Bought this model a couple of days ago and i'm awaiting its arrival tomorrow and was looking for some information on this model. I've gone through the forums and found some interesting info but......just want to make sure the salesman wasn't blowing too must smoke up my arse. Cost 3300.00 good deal??? Vs. other DLP units?? I'm understanding the poor image quiality i will get from just digital cable (i have Wide Open West) and am in the process of getting HD asap. Will the picture quality be that grainy???? Is this a newer model or last years model?? Also i will be sitting approxiately 10' from the screen which should be sufficent??? Any good information would be much appreciated!!!!!!

CHEERS!!!!

Ryan

·
Registered
219 Posts
Yes, I think you got a good deal. I paid a couple hundred more for the same set two months ago. I really love the set, but I think SDTV, digital or otherwise, will dissapoint with regard to picture quality. But....a DVI-enabled DVD player produces a great picture...and HDTV is honestly jaw-dropping.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
SDTV sucks on all DLP / LCD sets of this size. You got a good deal, so enjoy your set...

John

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
You got a decent deal, and I love my 5065W. SD isn't horrible from DirecTV, but it's not great either. However, DVD and HDTV are stimply stunning.

The Super Bowl in HD this weekend will be awesome!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for some of the good news, definitely made me feel a little more at ease about the buy. Checked with the cable company and hopefully having the DVI connection should help with the picture quality??? (without HD) Not sure about that but this is still all pretty new so.... My cable company sucks HD in only ABC, NBC, CBS and HBO....No ESPN for a sports freak this is a killer.......But hopefully soon enough??? Next is Xbox gaming which i've heard is suppose to be off the hook!! Any clue on what i am going to expect for a viewing distance of approximately 10' directly in front of the set??? And viewing angles?? Thanks for the help, will sleep sound tonight!!

CHEERS!!!

Ryan

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I saw the 50" HLN507W at Circuit City for the same price. The 61" might be better for you at 10'. I understand the rule of thumb is twice the diagonal dimension or about 2.5x the horizontal dimension. Here's a link to a viewing distance calculator that someone on the forum mentioned.

·
Coyote Waits
27,294 Posts
Sitting 10' from the set is fine.

DVI is great for DVD and HDTV. It can also be good for digital SD over the air. It may show the flaws from compression by the cable company. Your next problem will be how to connect two DVI devices to one DVI port.

If you are interested click on the "Popular" link at the bottom of my message. Go to the Samsung section and click on the "HLN Guide" link. At the bottom of Arun's first message there are links to download the HLN guide and the DVI guide. The threads are loaded with information too.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I'll be sitting 11-12' feet from the screen and I'm considering the Samsungs. My main constraint is height (width already causes me troubles just going to WS). I'm concerned that I wouldn't be satisfied with 56" at my distance. The overall height won't change for me much between the 56" or 61".

I'm surprised to hear that 50" would be fine at 10'. Wouldn't you be missing out on lot of the detail at that distance and yearning for a larger image? I'd think he'd want to move in closer if he could.

/edit

Oops, meant now looking at 56" vs. 61", not 50" vs. 61".

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
We have a 50" DLP and our primary seating is eight feet away. When we have company for a movie, we can put a couple of chairs in front of the primary seating without complaint (I've even sat "up front" with no problem). For DVDs or HD, this is fine but for SD it is too close. We have discussed the 56" as a possibility in the same room (11' X 13')... At 10' I would think the 56" and at 11'-12' the 61" would be appropriate.

·
Registered
101 Posts
This TV is very forgiving when it comes to side-to-side viewing angles compared to other rear projection TVs. The brightness doesn't change much. BUT...height does matter. The middle of the screen should line up with your seated eye height. If the TV is 12" higher or lower, you lose a lot of brightness.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Thanks mnilan and labba! I hope this information helps you too Ryan. Looks like the 61" will be spot on for me. I moved my center speakers to below my current Mits RPTV screen and it may even sound better than when I had them to the sides The bottom of the image on the 61" Samsung will match with the bottom edge of my current image. The center of the Samsung screen will be right at straight ahead level. The top of the Samsung will only be about 1 1/2" taller than my current set so it won't block too much of the view out the front windows. I'll probably wait for the new model in June or even possibly the xHD3 model at the end of the year (price? :eek: ) , if I decide to go with DLP. I hope they don't change these dimensions much.

/edit

Crap! I went back and did more than a cursory listen to audio (many different channels) with my center speakers under the image and its not going to cut it. I just don't know what I'm going to do about the center. :mad:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by xortam
I saw the 50" HLN507W at Circuit City for the same price. The 61" might be better for you at 10'. I understand the rule of thumb is twice the diagonal dimension or about 2.5x the horizontal dimension. Here's a link to a viewing distance calculator that someone on the forum mentioned.
I thought the rule of thumb was 3x the diagonal dimension?

I sat 15-16 feet away from my 60" RPTV and it was perfect viewing distance. 10 feet would be WAY too close IMHO.

Oh well go with whatever you think is best!:D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Iv'e been reading the posts in these forums for some time now. It seems everyone is an expert on the Samsung DLP. I first bought my HLN5065 back in Sept., it was a warranty return and i have a horror story I could tell if anyone is interested. I'm now on the third set but not because the set is a bad one. Thats another story about the place i bought it. There are no perfect sets out there, only ones that are acceptable in quality and price to the purchaser. Anyone can find fault with a set if you look for it at a distance of 2 feet. I wanted a big screen, you can't get with a direct view and I cant stand the glare from the rear projection tube sets when a light somewhere in the room hits the screen. Yes, I see rainbows. I know what causes them and it isn't all the sets fault. Yes, I see the video-sound sync difference at times, You can see this on any set and you can also see it at the movie theater at times. The point is if you want theater quality and cant accept whats out there in the TV market then go to the theater, its cheaper in the long run compared to spending $3K-$4K for a tv. Listening to people in these forums is like the HI-FI craze of the 60s and 70s. If you listen to everyone in here you will be forever chasing that perfect set. Buy one that looks good to you and enjoy it!! I love my DLP even though it has faults!!!

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Sebastian1
I thought the rule of thumb was 3x the diagonal dimension? ...
Note that I'm talking about HD signals here ... you're probably thinking of the old SD guidance. Here are some notes that I gleamed from this forum:
Quote:
arungupta
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...43#post3248143

The rule of thumb for viewing distance for HD sets is 2 times the diagonal size, which is about 2.3 times the screen width.

==================================
arungupta
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...52#post3248952

Assume a 50†diagonal TV, 16x9 aspect ratio, 24.5 inches high x 43.6 inches wide.

HDTV Viewing Distance Recommendations from Smallest to largest

THX Recommended is 36 degrees angle. 135% of diagonal = 67.5 inches

CCITT/ITU Reference for HDTV is 3 Times height. 147% of diagonal = 73.5 inches

Fully resolved 1920x1080 by 20/20 eye, 1/60 degree arc. 160% of diagonal = 80 inches

Maximum Recommended SMPTE is 30 degree angle. 162% of diagonal = 81 inches

Maximum THX is 26 degree angle. 189% of diagonal = 94.5 inches

Rule of Thumb for HDTV is twice diagonal. 200% of diagonal = 100 inches

Old Rule of Thumb for SDTV is thrice diagonal. 300 % of diagonal = 150 inches

Note: Viewing angle refers to the horizontal angle from your eye to the extreme left and right side of the picture.

http://www.tvtechnology.com/features...08.06.03.shtml

http://www.myhometheater.homestead.c...alculator.html

==================================
dr_mark2001
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...98#post3248098

I would agree as long as you are inside of the distance x measured in screen widths as

x = 1/(tan(n/60))

where n is the horizontal pixel count.

Some common values for x:

1.60 (n=1920, large LCD flat panel)

2.34 (n=1386, Sony LCD)

2.56 (n=1280, Samsung DLP)

3.95 (n=853, Panny ED Plasma)
The 2x diagonal worked for me when I auditioned the 50" DLP. I wouldn't want to be any further away. Regardless, I'll be sure and measure off the distance when I audition the 56" and 61" sets. I'll be testing various signal inputs as well to get a feel for how well they're handled on these various sets.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.