AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I normally run with the TV connected to the HD DVR via HDMI 1 and Component 1; normally watch on HDMI 1. While I once thought that Just Scan was available to me, I went on to see that it was grayed out, and typically used 16:9. This stretched standard definition for me to fill the screen.

On a standard definition local channel provided by DirecTV:

1) Tonight, I turn on the TV, and I now have Just Scan, and it displays the picture with a 5" black border on both sides.

2) My Side Gray is set to "Light".

3) On 16:9, the display has a 4" black border on both side.

4) On 4:3, the display gives me 5" gray borders on both side (which I believe are my "Side Gray" from #2), and inside those are 3" black borders (which look like the 5" black borders from #1 shrunk down by the 4:3 function).

5) On Wide Fit/Move, the display fills the screen.

For over the air HD local channel, behaviour seems normal - I lose Just Scan, 16:9 and Wide Fit/Move fill the screen, and 4:3 gives me the 5" gray borders on both sides.

For standard definition satellite stations provided by DirecTV:

STOP THE PRESSES!!!!!!!

DirecTV just now sent me the local stations in HD as well as SD!!!! But now, I once again cannot access Just Scan - which I believe is as it should be, because my DirecTV HD DVR is set to output in 720 p.

I can worry about 720p vs. 1080i later, or people could feel free to share their thoughts now.

Man that was totally trippy.

Thanks,

2cats (with local HD!!!)

·
Registered
488 Posts
use either the hdmi or component cable. not both. just scan is only available with hdmi. with Direct tv, you will get 2 of the same stations with one being HD and the other being SD, but not all the HD stations broadcast in HD all the time which is why some HD stations will have the black (or grey) bars on the side.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts