AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting the TS160 receiver this week and I am looking for advice on a universal remote, setup and DVI cables. Did a quick search and there is a single and dual link for the DVI cables. Don't understand the difference. I want a remote that isn't more confusing than having 5 remotes on the coffee table. Just want a simple ($150 - $250) universal remote control. Another question, since the DVI cable will have to go from the TS160 receiver straight to the tv would the recommendation be to set up the vcr, dvd, xbox directly from the Audio Receiver to the TV? Or should I have these other items going to individual incoming ports on the tv? If I do the latter could the universal remote "learn" all of this to make it easy?

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
Not sure what you are asking about DVI cables--the TS160 comes with a DVI cable.

http://www.remotecentral.com

Unless your audio receiver switches component, you aren't going to be happy with just SVideo DVD.

Because of the way the codes work on a 507, I think any automation with a universal remote will be a little tricky.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Just a note, you can practically steal DVI-D cables at Ebay.

Single link DVI is for lower resolutions

Dual link DVI is for higher resolutions.

The break point is well above 1240x720. I have a single link on order and will let you know if it works.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Didn't know the 160 came with a cable. But, I need it to go about 15-feet and they probably include a 3-footer. My Audio Receiver does switch between "TV" "DVD" "VCR", but I have all of these ouputting into the current cable box where just one coax line goes into the 507W. It's a decent reception, but I'm quite the novice and want to know how to set up the diffent inputs to have the optimum pix. It seems to make sense if the wires from the dvd, vcr, xbox have to first go through the Audio Receiver, the PQ will be reduced. Regarding the universal remote, their has to be someone using one with this tv where it reduces the number of remotes.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by gpflepsen
Just a note, you can practically steal DVI-D cables at Ebay.

Single link DVI is for lower resolutions

Dual link DVI is for higher resolutions.

The break point is well above 1240x720. I have a single link on order and will let you know if it works.
Why wouldn't you pay a little more for the dual link?

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
I have both, the 507W and TS-160 STB and use the Remote Control Master model MX-700, it comes with a MX-200 that is safe for the "lesser users" of your home theater, both are programmed with a PC. The remote is expensive if you buy it through the retail channels but if you buy it thru a wholesale company such as www.worthdist.com , it can be had for $231.07 + $10 for cable and about $12 shipping, much cheaper then others that want $350 + for it. Here is a link to the .pdf file that it is listed in, Link (thier website is S-L-O-W)

Some people said they will not sell to a individual and only companies, so I made one up and was sure of myself as I ordered it :) I was told it is backordered till January, so that may be an issue to you, but IMO, it is worth the wait. As of now, there are no preset codes for the TS-160, so you will have to "learn" those functions, which is pretty easy, but there is a code for one of the Samsung sets that does 99% of the 507W keys, so it works for me just great.

Jim

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Advance The Man
Why wouldn't you pay a little more for the dual link?
Do you pay a little more for premium gas? Even though you don't need it?

I don't. :)

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
vfrjim,

How well does the remote work with Directv? I'm assuming you have it considering the 160. I don't plan on having a HTPC anytime soon so I would consider the MX500. Went to the manufacturer website and it appears the MX500 would handle a lot of what I am looking for. What do you think?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gpflepsen
Do you pay a little more for premium gas? Even though you don't need it?

I don't. :)
Well, that isn't quite the right analogy, as gas gets used up. More like buying a trailer hitch for your car when you don't own a trailer. You might never use it.

Markd

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mdesmarais
Well, that isn't quite the right analogy, as gas gets used up. More like buying a trailer hitch for your car when you don't own a trailer. You might never use it.

Markd
Oh, I see. :D

But someday, you MAY get a trailer.....

Is it something like Garage Sale sickness?

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Quote:
How well does the remote work with Directv? I'm assuming you have it considering the 160. I don't plan on having a HTPC anytime soon so I would consider the MX500. Went to the manufacturer website and it appears the MX500 would handle a lot of what I am looking for. What do you think?
I almost bought the MX-500 untill I did some research and it lacks the Programability from a PC, which is a BIG plus, you can back up your remote on a floppy if you have to also, you can test codes to verify that it works correctly. I know that ftlee has the MX-500 and he could not use the code that the MX-700 has to set up the 507W, which is the MAIN reason that you need the remote. When I first set up my 507W, I used the remote as a learning remote and did not try a default code for the 507W which ends up not always learning the aspect ration key correctly(a big hassle), entered the Samsung code, and all is fine, just had to "lay out" the keys for my liking.

It works great with Direct TV, some people complained that the guide button is in the wrong place, but I never got bothered with it, felt natural to me. Go read the reviews at www.remotecentral.com about it.

Jim

Also, the MX-700 can have multiple functions(macros) on any key pressed, which comes in handy when you have a DVD player and you want the input changed on your receiver, in my situation, a DD/DTS decoder needs to have it's input changed and select the proper decoder of it, I got to tell you, it is a SWEET remote and would not want less then it.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Also, why would you need to purchase a DVI cable when the TS160 comes with one?

Jim

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
OT a hair:

Interesting terms of sale for a distributor. No handling fee, no minimum order fee, and I also don't see quantity pricing. Is this becoming typical for wholesalers/distributors? I would think it would give the retailers fits.

But if you know any more for different product lines, please pass them along or point me to a source!

Quote:
Originally posted by vfrjim
The remote is expensive if you buy it through the retail channels but if you buy it thru a wholesale company such as www.worthdist.com , it can be had for $231.07 + $10 for cable and about $12 shipping, much cheaper then others that want $350 + for it.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Quote:

Jim

He needs to go 15 feet.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

Jim
I need approximately 15' of DVI cable from the 160 receiver to the tv. I'm assuming the one that comes with the 160 is only 3 or 6 feet. Is that accurate?

I'm asking these questions about the universal remotes because I have never owned one. I have always used a minumum of 5 remotes. One thing that is completely annoying right now with the 507W is when the set is first turned on it is on "Wide" mode. We enjoy "Panorama" mode for standard viewing. Could you program the MX700 to go to the Panorama setting when you first turn the tv on? Jim what about the talk that no universal remote will 100% work with the 507W? What doesn't work with the MX700?

·
Registered
856 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Advance The Man
... Could you program the MX700 to go to the Panorama setting when you first turn the tv on? Jim what about the talk that no universal remote will 100% work with the 507W? What doesn't work with the MX700?
I don't think any remote will be able to set it at Panorama, or Normal, etc. when you turn the set on. I tried to turn on the set and push the Aspect button twice (to set it to Panorama) with a few seconds of delay, it still wouldn't work. It will need > 5 seconds delay in order for the set to accept the next remote command after power on.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Quote:

Also, the MX-700 can have multiple functions(macros) on any key pressed, which comes in handy when you have a DVD player and you want the input changed on your receiver, in my situation, a DD/DTS decoder needs to have it's input changed and select the proper decoder of it, I got to tell you, it is a SWEET remote and would not want less then it.
Damn you vfrjim!

After reading your post, and the review on the MX-700, now I can't SETTLE for the MX-500. Being able to program the 700 using a computer looks great.

I'm going to blame you when my wife asks me how much my new remote cost. :D

When you ordered yours, did you just tell them you also needed a serial cable? or was there a part number that you had?

Did yours come with a manual?

Jeff

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Oh, I missed that you needed 15', I got mine from www.pccables.com for my HTPC, here is a link for the 15' one: Link

If you order the remote from that company, you need to tell then that you need the cable, it does not come with an owner's manual, you need to download one here: Link all the files needed are here to program the MX-700, it is VERY easy, especially if you have a laptop in your home theater area, I do mine with an OLD Pentium 166 laptop :)

Changing aspectratio probably could be done automatically, you can include pauses between commands, with an indiviual pause being 30 seconds maximum, but you can combine pauses to make them longer.

I was a little scared about programming this remote, but don't be, it is very easy, trust me, there are help groups at the remotecentral forums if you need it.

Jim

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have now wasted the day away researching remotes! Another remote I researched was the Harmony Remote SST-768 for $269. I contacted the company Jim referenced and they stated..."I won't have any in stock until after the first of the year. We aren't currently taking orders until then because they are re-doing their marketing strategy and the pricing may differ. If you would like to contact us in January, we would be happy to give you more information." Not sure what to do.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Jim, we crossed paths with the last post. Any other sites that have the MX700 for sub $300? Besides worthdist.com I have only seen it for $399.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.