AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I was hoping to get some input from the knowledgeable posters on this forum.

I'm purchasing a new TV for my parents as a gift for Christmas. I'm heavily biased towards plasma and pretty much hate the clouding, motion issues, etc. that I've had with them in the past.

However, the sets I've narrowed it down to in my budget vs. specs research has been the Samsung 51F5300 for $529.99 and Sony 50R450 for $599.99.

My parents living room has windows so I know to expect some daytime reflections but also know that the PQ should be great overall.

Can anyone offer their opinions on this? Viewing angle being limited on LED's is also a huge annoyance for me and another reason plasma is my top choice.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
The only thing I would worry would be the glare from the window. That particular Samsung plasma isn't too good when it comes to glare reduction. However, it does have great black and great motion performance. Besides that 50 inch R450 isn't even Samsung/Sony S-PVA (they only come in 32,40,46, and 55 inches mainly), meaning automatic lose for the Sony LCD.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's def the kind of info I come to this forum to get. I appreciate you letting me know.

In your opinion, is there a different LED I should be looking at in the $500-$600 range?

The F5300 seems to be the best set at that price point.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Sure, any Samsung or Sony LCDs in size 40,46, and 55 inches will ensure you will get an S-PVA panel. For Samsung, coincidently, the F5500 is also a good LCD with good blacks. For Sony, you can stay with the R550, just choose between 46 and 55 inches.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.