AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bought this tv over the weekend and i am having an issue, i am new to lcds so not sure what to expect....but there seems to be a white and black blocky line on the very top of the screen on some channels. i have it set on just scan, when i put it on 16:9 it goes away...does this mean theres something wrong with my set...someone had mentioned that its just closed caption data..but shouldnt i be able to use the setting just scan without getting that, cause apparently i cant. should i exchange the tv? call samsung? or am i just worried over nothing?......heres a pic...any more info would be greatly appreciated. thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also have it on 'Just Scan' mode.

The reason you see artifacts is because it is showing the true native HD channel to its fullest picture, including all the way to the edges. And because a lot of (if not all) HD providers compress their picture to fit more bandwidth, there are artifacts like the ones you see at the edges of the picture.

That's why in the 16:9 mode, it actually enlarges the picture slightly so it bleeds out the edges and you can't see those artifacts/pixelation on the edges since it's not visible on the screen. (it's kind of like a safety feature)

But you will notice that if you play XBox360 or PS3 in 1080p and have it on 'Just Scan' mode you will not see any artifacts because the picture is pure and not compressed like the way cable does to their HD channels.

Bottom line: it's not your TV. It's the picture quality from your HD service provider.

You're TV is fine. Now if you see a line of pixels running down the middle of the screen permanently then that's another story. But that doesn't seem to be the case here.

I guarantee if you watch a Blu-Ray disc in 'Just Scan' mode you will not experience those problems you are experiencing with the cable HD channels.

Hope that helped.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts