AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A month ago I got a samsung 550 46" lcd. I connected my cable box over HDMI and my xbox over hdmi to it. I then connected the optical audio out to my onkyo 5.1 receiver.

Everything worked fine for about a month and now all of sudden the sound stopped working. To test my receiver I connected the coaxial output of my cable box directly to the receiver and it works. The TV speakers still work, so it's not the cable box. It could be the optical input to my receiver, but I'd first like to see if it's the TV sicne I have had the receiver for much longer.

How else can I test to determine if the optical output tv is broken? Are these tvs known to break that way?

One simple solution that I have not tried is to disconnect the power on the TV. I haven't tried this because I changed alot of the settings on the TV and I don't want to lose them. But I'll try that if no one else has a solution.

·
Registered
805 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdavs /forum/post/15467599

A month ago I got a samsung 550 46" lcd. I connected my cable box over HDMI and my xbox over hdmi to it. I then connected the optical audio out to my onkyo 5.1 receiver.

Everything worked fine for about a month and now all of sudden the sound stopped working. To test my receiver I connected the coaxial output of my cable box directly to the receiver and it works. The TV speakers still work, so it's not the cable box. It could be the optical input to my receiver, but I'd first like to see if it's the TV sicne I have had the receiver for much longer.

How else can I test to determine if the optical output tv is broken? Are these tvs known to break that way?

One simple solution that I have not tried is to disconnect the power on the TV. I haven't tried this because I changed alot of the settings on the TV and I don't want to lose them. But I'll try that if no one else has a solution.

Try testing the optical input on the receiver from another source. For example optical from cable box to receiver to determine if it is the receiver.

Also is the receiver set to the proper input? (I know this is common sense but sometimes the simplest answer is the right one (Ockham's razor))

On a side note the a550 series will not pass a 5.1 signal from an Hdmi source through optical. I have my ps3 and cablebox connected via hdmi to my 46a550 and both individually connected via optical to my receiver bc of this.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes the receiver is set to the right input.

You were right though, I missed somethign simple. For some reason, I thought my cable box didn't have an optical out so I didn't think about that until you mentioned it. In fact it does have an optical out and I connected it to my receiver and it did not work.

Therefore it is either the optical cable or the receivers optical audio input. But now you compounded my problem by telling me I was never gettin 5.1 from my tv to receiver. It's easy enogh to connect my cable box to my receiver. But what about my xbox?? I use the xbox as a dvd player. And my receiver does not have any hdmi inputs. Can't afford a new receiver, so I guess I am out of luck. I bought an xbox as a replacement dvd player and I failed.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Just run an optical cable straight out of the xbox into the receiver, keep the HDMI into the tv and turn off the audio on the tv. I do this with my Blu Ray and it works fine. You may have to change the sound setting on the xbox's menu to bitstream, I'm not sure, but I did need to do that with the blu ray.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mes444 /forum/post/15478863

Just run an optical cable straight out of the xbox into the receiver, keep the HDMI into the tv and turn off the audio on the tv. I do this with my Blu Ray and it works fine. You may have to change the sound setting on the xbox's menu to bitstream, I'm not sure, but I did need to do that with the blu ray.

i'm not sure I understand. My xbox doesn't have an optical audio output that I can see. I got the arcade version, it has HDMI port and the wierd microsoft av port.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
I don't know about xboxs and if you don't have an optical output (or a digital coax output) I guess you'll have to keep the Pro Logic fake surround going as you have it now, but maybe someone with an xbox knows about a conversion cable or what you could use out of the console. Sorry I can't be of more help on that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts