AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if I should pull the trigger on a Samsung 55b8500 now or wait for the newer 2010 models. I ask this because the 8500 is back lit and local dimming, and the new 2010 models are edge lit , and claim local dimming. I was just wondering if everyones opinon is the newer models might be better and closer to full back lit or would you just go ahead and buy the 8500 now.

·
Registered
8,500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhite00030 /forum/post/18177883

I was wondering if I should pull the trigger on a Samsung 55b8500 now or wait for the newer 2010 models. I ask this because the 8500 is back lit and local dimming, and the new 2010 models are edge lit , and claim local dimming. I was just wondering if everyones opinon is the newer models might be better and closer to full back lit or would you just go ahead and buy the 8500 now.

I am not an expert, however, I can't recall reading anything about edge-lit that makes it seem to be the equal of back-lit, let-alone be better.

Edge-lit is cosmetic first, and, I suspect cheaper to build.

Seems like the screws holding edge-lit panels together have to be precisely tightened to avoid picture problems.

Just as the larger size Sony XBR 8's have all but disappeared, the 55b8500 is about as cheap as you will see it, and even then it is becoming more and more hard to come by.

The 8500 is a proven entity. Seems to me the new models have taken a turn away from Picture Quality towards slimness and 3-D.

Best Regards

1 - 2 of 2 Posts