AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,

Can anyone out there tell me which should have the best picture quality, dependability etc... I'm going to be cashing in my American Express Points and they are in my price range.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RU_DIO /forum/post/18168589

Folks,

Can anyone out there tell me which should have the best picture quality, dependability etc... I'm going to be cashing in my American Express Points and they are in my price range.

Thanks in advance.

That's going to be a hard decision. I was in that situation 3 weeks back.

Most Samsung has buzzing issues and some members in this forum have reported that Panny has rising blacks.

I ended up getting a 58inch S1 as I could live with rising blacks rather than a buzzing set.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Panasonic is much easier to deal with customer service wise. Samsung may be the worst in the industry. Either TV will be great. I personally have 50" S1 and couldn't be happier. 1300 hours and no rise in blacks. I avoided Samsung as I had an issue with a DLP less than 4 years after purchase. The S1 has very little input lag and as a gamer it would be reason enough to go with the Panny over the Samsung.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkun /forum/post/18168770

That's going to be a hard decision. I was in that situation 3 weeks back.

Most Samsung has buzzing issues and some members in this forum have reported that Panny has rising blacks.

I ended up getting a 58inch S1 as I could live with rising blacks rather than a buzzing set.

S1 is a nice set. Enjoy.

But, FYI, "most" Samsung's do not buzz -- it's a real problem for some, you just got the majority backwards. On thing to consider -- a vast majority of those that do get a buzzing Samsung know it right away. The black level is something that develops over time. So for those who don't want either issue you could try getting a Samsung and just return it if you were in the unlucky minority with a problem level of buzz issue.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm on my second Samsung 540 buzzer so that's 2/2. I'm debating on getting the S1 myself now but really like the picture on the Sammy. I have not seen the S1, it is only available online here at BB in London, Ontario.

Here is the kicker. I paid $1799 for the Sammy on sale after x-mas and the S1 has just gone down from $2999 to $2299 so it looks like I will have to pay an extra 500 bucks to get the S1.

Almost tempted to try a third Sammy since we got ours for a good price. I talked to the guy at BB and he is aware of the buzzing issue. He says he's had a few come back already. How many times can you exchange a TV in order to get a lucky non buzzer lol?

·
Registered
576 Posts
I personally think the Samsung is the better tv, but although most of them don't buzz, many people can not tolerate the sets that do. When I read about someone receiving a second or even a third buzzer from the same firm, I wonder if that company is simply attempting to "recycle" the buzzers, hoping to find someone who will accept the set. Maybe after a second buzzer in a row, people should try a different company.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts