AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Ive been lurking these forums trying to gather as much info as possible on these two sets.

Im on mobile, so my typing wont be as detailed.

Im interested in one or the other of these two models. The cheapest i can find the 51 is at $650, no tax, free shipping. I believe its the lowest price on the net.

Best Buy still has the 60 for $750, but with a coupon, i can bring it down to 675. Theres also an open box thats rated in the highest condition for 690, after coupon, about 620. Though im not sure if i should be weary about open box.

My viewing distance is around 6ft, in a well controlled room for lighting.

Ive read the cons of a pentile display, but also read that people really like the 60.

Im getting this mainly for gaming, and im not a movie watcher, just some tv now and then.

Im coming from a 32inch LCD, so either upgrade would be a nice size upgrade.

Is the extra 9 inches worth it for not much of a price difference, despite being pentile?

One thing to note, my current stand its just big enough for the 51, im assuming the 60s is a bigger stand.

Anyone with experience with these two sets, which do you think makes sense for me?

Thanks!

·
Registered
178 Posts
I would go for the 51". I have an F5300 and a H5000. The 61" is Pentile and you will see it at 6' distance. The 51" is not Pentile and at 3' away it looks incredible. I think the Pentile has slighty better Blacks. But the Blacks on the non Pentile 51 are great.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would go for the 51". I have an F5300 and a H5000. The 61" is Pentile and you will see it at 6' distance. The 51" is not Pentile and at 3' away it looks incredible. I think the Pentile has slighty better Blacks. But the Blacks on the non Pentile 51 are great.
Thanks.

I was leaning towards the 51. I just wish i got it at 500 when bb had it on clearance.

Buydig had it at 600 just the other week, but now went up to 650. With these panels disappearing, its hard to wait.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Welcome to the AVS Forum Terry!
I just experienced the exact same dilemma a few weeks ago. We couldn't decide between the 51" or the 60", but in the end we went with the 60" & couldn't be happier. The 51" will be more than sufficient for you, but for us, we wanted to factor in the "long term" as we'll be buying a new house in the next 12-18 months, and so the extra size is going to make a big difference once we have a larger living room.

Our current viewing distance was fine with our 42" at 6 feet, but 60" was just a little bit too close, so I rearranged our whole living room and now it's at a little over 9 feet and its perfect.
Honestly I didn't notice any problems with the pentile display at that (6ft) distance, but 9-10 feet is simply a more comfortable viewing distance for this size tv. Of course now I have to reposition my surround sound, but that's ok....it gave me a good reason to upgrade my speaker wire.

You really can't go wrong with either model. I think if you don't plan on moving anytime soon and you're viewing distance is going to remain the same, the 51" will be prefect.
Good luck with your decision & let us know what you end up going with.

S5 tap'n

·
Registered
156 Posts
As a 60" version owner I can say that 6' is too close, you'll see the pixels. I can. It's about 7-8' for me where it's gone, using a tape measure between the screen and my nose.

If you'll really be that close I'd go for the 51.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hello everyone,

Ive been lurking these forums trying to gather as much info as possible on these two sets.

Im on mobile, so my typing wont be as detailed.

Im interested in one or the other of these two models. The cheapest i can find the 51 is at $650, no tax, free shipping. I believe its the lowest price on the net.

Best Buy still has the 60 for $750, but with a coupon, i can bring it down to 675. Theres also an open box thats rated in the highest condition for 690, after coupon, about 620. Though im not sure if i should be weary about open box.

My viewing distance is around 6ft, in a well controlled room for lighting.

Ive read the cons of a pentile display, but also read that people really like the 60.

Im getting this mainly for gaming, and im not a movie watcher, just some tv now and then.

Im coming from a 32inch LCD, so either upgrade would be a nice size upgrade.

Is the extra 9 inches worth it for not much of a price difference, despite being pentile?

One thing to note, my current stand its just big enough for the 51, im assuming the 60s is a bigger stand.

Anyone with experience with these two sets, which do you think makes sense for me?

Thanks!
No your stand probably won't work with a 60" panel, the VERSA mount holes are different 60" on up. As for size, I have the 51" in a bedroom and it is really large for a smaller room, I wouldn't go with a 60" in a smaller room, especially because of the Pentile display being so close.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate all the input.

Im playing a waiting game with the price.

Its currently at 650 on ebay, and im not sure if they'll drop it before they sell out.

A rep told me their website and ebay store inventory are shared. ebay normally says "limited quantity available", without a number. Using a mobile device, it reveals 127 units left.

Their auction ends in less than two days, though it can auto relist. A rep said they cant guarantee it will be up on ebay again.

Should i wait for a possible price drop(its fluctuated from 600-670)? Or is this set worth 650?

·
Registered
178 Posts
I appreciate all the input.

Im playing a waiting game with the price.

Its currently at 650 on ebay, and im not sure if they'll drop it before they sell out.

A rep told me their website and ebay store inventory are shared. ebay normally says "limited quantity available", without a number. Using a mobile device, it reveals 127 units left.

Their auction ends in less than two days, though it can auto relist. A rep said they cant guarantee it will be up on ebay again.

Should i wait for a possible price drop(its fluctuated from 600-670)? Or is this set worth 650?
Yes is it worth easily $650. Ebay should be an easy get, just snipe it at the end it's easy, you probably already know how. There are videos on YouTube if you don't.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes is it worth easily $650. Ebay should be an easy get, just snipe it at the end it's easy, you probably already know how. There are videos on YouTube if you don't.
Its only option is "Buy It Now".

Ill give it another day and see.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Have you checked your local Best Buy? If not I'd rather buy through Amazon. (Just personal preference though)
I've always been leery of buying electronics off Ebay. Too much counterfeit & refurbished crap being sold as new OEM. Just make sure whoever you're buying it from has a great rating and will allow you to return it if there's any problems.
Good luck!

S5 tap'n

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Have you checked your local Best Buy? If not I'd rather buy through Amazon. (Just personal preference though)
I've always been leery of buying electronics off Ebay. Too much counterfeit & refurbished crap being sold as new OEM. Just make sure whoever you're buying it from has a great rating and will allow you to return it if there's any problems.
Good luck!

S5 tap'n
Ill check around tomorrow, though i have a feeling the 51 will be oos.

Buydig is the seller through eBay, so i have no worries there.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Good luck!

S5 tap'n
BB has been out of the 51" for several months.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I only asked because our local BB still had one in stock, so I figured it was worth a shot.

S5 tap'n
Ill still check, worth a shot.

One BB has an open box in fair condition. It was missing the stand and remote, so they sometimes label it fair based off that. Hoping for no cosmetic damage, the lady tells me the Best Buy logo is burned in on the screen. Had to chuckle at the irony.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I only asked because our local BB still had one in stock, so I figured it was worth a shot.

S5 tap'n
Almost went through and bought it for 650. Thanks to you i decided to check open box one more time and my closest bb has one in.

It doesnt have the stand, or manuals, but i believe she said it comes with a wall mount, and theres nothing wrong with the tv.

Ended up being 380 + tax.

Ill see how it turns out. Hopefully returned for glare issues.

·
Registered
12,200 Posts
Just be advised Samsung displays are NOT HDMI certified...
If U are using other Samsung branded components w/HDMI, then all is well..
But if other brands, the Samsung has multiple compatibility and interoperability issues.
Stay clear, thats why many of the experienced pro AV installers do not use Samsung products..

Just my $0.02... ;)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Just be advised Samsung displays are NOT HDMI certified...
If U are using other Samsung branded components w/HDMI, then all is well..
But if other brands, the Samsung has multiple compatibility and interoperability issues.
Stay clear, thats why many of the experienced pro AV installers do not use Samsung products..

Just my $0.02... ;)
Maybe so, but 1) The only new plasmas you can find are Samsung these days, and 2) Generally speaking people (including me) don't have any issues with this.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Almost went through and bought it for 650. Thanks to you i decided to check open box one more time and my closest bb has one in.

It doesnt have the stand, or manuals, but i believe she said it comes with a wall mount, and theres nothing wrong with the tv.

Ended up being 380 + tax.

Ill see how it turns out. Hopefully returned for glare issues.
Congrats Terry! That's an awesome price.
You shouldn't have any problem purchasing the stand from Samsung and you can download the manual from their site as well. It also includes a manual in the settings menu so you should be fine.
Enjoy!

Maybe so, but 1) The only new plasmas you can find are Samsung these days, and 2) Generally speaking people (including me) don't have any issues with this.
Agreed. That said, my BluRay player is Samsung and my receiver (like most modern receivers) has ARC support so I don't have a problem with this.
Otherwise, just use an optical cable and you'll be fine.

S5 tap'n

·
Registered
140 Posts
Thanks for the heads up Alex.
As I mentioned, mine works great with the equipment I have (Yamaha receiver as well) but it's always good to hear others experiences as well.

S5 tap'n

1 - 20 of 44 Posts