AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
10,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a call from my local Tweeter a few hours ago - the Samsung 61" DLP (HLM617W) has arrived! They got ~6 units, all pre-sold - mine's being delivered on Saturday!

FYI - their next scheduled shipment was ~10 units on ~1/3/03 (I may be off by a few days), and I think all of those units have also been pre-sold...

Once I get it set up, I'll post some pictures (just don't laugh at my temporary stand - I'm having one made for it, but didn't expect the set for another month!)...

Jeff

·
Registered
10,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by broadwayblue
what are they asking? i'm hoping it's under 5k.
Their store price is $5199. I buy a lot of stuff and send a lot of business their way, so I paid less than 5k... But not a *lot* less :p

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Wow! What an upset. At CEDIA, they really gave an impression of March.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jautor
Got a call from my local Tweeter a few hours ago - the Samsung 61" DLP (HLM617W) has arrived! They got ~6 units, all pre-sold - mine's being delivered on Saturday!

FYI - their next scheduled shipment was ~10 units on ~1/3/03 (I may be off by a few days), and I think all of those units have also been pre-sold...

Once I get it set up, I'll post some pictures (just don't laugh at my temporary stand - I'm having one made for it, but didn't expect the set for another month!)...

Jeff
Jeff, please report back the default SM settings in a couple of weeks after the lamp has burned it. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
pspun,

They are going to be different than the 43" and 50". The MN82860 (Panasonic's Video Enhancement Chip) does not exist on the 61". It has been replaced by Samsung's own Video Enhancement Chip (DNIe). There are also a bunch of unique settings in regards to the FLI2300 chip.

-ftlee

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jautor

Jeff
jautor,

I guess if they are all pre-purchased then there won't be a floor model for us regular humans to see....

BTW, where in Texas is this Tweeter?

·
Registered
10,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by BTDT
jautor,

I guess if they are all pre-purchased then there won't be a floor model for us regular humans to see....

BTW, where in Texas is this Tweeter?
Houston, but the Texas stores all trade inventory, so the Dallas area may have been included in the 6 or so units they got...

And, no, there won't be a display model anywhere. I've seen the prototypes shown at CEDIA, but not the production model. My plan was to get on the "paid for" list (12 months financing made that possible!), and once the sets came in, go and look at a display model to make sure it was good.

Obviously you can return the set within 30 days, but I was trying to avoid that possibility. But since everything expected through 1/3/03 has already been sold, there isn't going to be anything to look at... My rep's comment was "if you don't like it / want it, don't worry, we've got a list of people that will take it"...

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
ok I have to ask this but you are close to Pio territory for a plasma. I know the extra 11 inches may make the difference but what other advantages do you see with this DLP over say a 50 inch plasma. I know burn in is one but...........

just curious

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
jautor,

I am anxious to hear how the 61" compares to the 43"/50" in terms of PQ, overall build quality, etc., etc. The hope is that Samsung got this closer-to-right OOTB on this wave of units.

Of course, the worst case would be if various issues were worse on a larger unit....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just got off the phone with the Tweeter store in Frisco, Texas. They have my HLM617W and it will be delivered tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
BTDT,

I HOPE that we do not have to go through the same growing pains with the 61" that we went through with the 50" BUT, it is not out of the question. Since the 61" uses different chips for some of it's functions, I do not see how they could apply the lessons learned from the 50" to the 61".

-ftlee

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just called my local Tweeter in Princeton, NJ

They are telling me they don't have any today and are still not expecting them in until the middle of the month. :(

·
Registered
38 Posts
Mrpuck,

You mean the one on Rt.1 in Lawrenceville?

I have visited and called many times, but they don't even have any Samsung DLP demo unit.

Have you found any other local place (BB, Wiz, etc.) showing it?

·
Registered
23 Posts
2Moon, Yes that's the one. I pre-ordered it about 2 weeks ago. They had the 40" DLP set on display and I was able to view the 50" DLP set at a local Harvey's. So I took the chance and ordered to try and get one of the first sets. Tweeter told me they would have them on the 6th. Now they are telling me the 15th, yet people here are claiming they are getting calls.

Not much I can do right now but wait.....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yea the Harvey's I went to is at Exit 105 off GSP South. If your around that area nice place to check out. Not sure I would recommend paying their inflated prices however. Good Luck...

·
Registered
484 Posts
I'm looking forward to seeing Samsung 61" DLP at the 2003 CES in a month.

It'll be nice to be able to compare it the Optima H55 DLP, the Panasonic DLP, Mitsubishi WD65100, the Huaxian 2000-B 70" LCoS and the Toshiba 57" LCoS. Who knows, JVC show up with a new LCoS RPTV. Can't wait.

Sawyer

1 - 20 of 88 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.