AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My display is a Samsung 6189S (LED DLP), 3DBR player is a Panasonic DMP-BDT100, and I'm using the Viewsonic PGD-150 glasses (DLP). While playing the Imac 3D movie 'Under the Sea', both my wife's and my glasses lost sync several times. Perhaps 10 to 20 seconds later sync would be restored. I tried the TV in both normal and inverted 3D mode (checkerboard). I also tried changing the glasses from normal to inverted, but the results were the same.

Today I tried to play 'Zombie Chronicles' (3D) and it was much worse, sync wise. It seemed to be scene dependent; i.e. some scenes would always play in sync with the glasses, while others never did. Since both pair of glasses behave the same, I doubt they are defective. Any ideas? Is there some sort of affordable (as in cheap) test disk I could get that would help me run down the problem, optimize TV settings, etc.?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/19630349

I think the DLP-Link light flash may be too strong for the glasses.

How close do you sit to the TV? Have you tried lowering the brightnesss level of the TV?

Thanks for the suggestion. I sit about 8ft. (2.4M) from the TV. I already sent the 'Zombie' DVD back, but will try playing with the brightness while watching 'Under the Sea' and see what happens. I just won a Panasonic Viera 3D demo disk on Ebay and will do additional testing when it arrives.

·
Registered
306 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by transco /forum/post/19631101

Thanks for the suggestion. I sit about 8ft. (2.4M) from the TV. I already sent the 'Zombie' DVD back, but will try playing with the brightness while watching 'Under the Sea' and see what happens. I just won a Panasonic Viera 3D demo disk on Ebay and will do additional testing when it arrives.

i have a hlt5687s model 3d ready and tried using these glasses.even returned a pair and the problem of not staying in sync was worse.i believe mr walford is correct about the signal being too strong.they seem to work on some samsung sets perfectly and not on others.even the same models.mine are not being used at all.waiting for the monster glasses to become available.so far i haven't been able to enjoy any 3d viewing.it has been quite frustrating as i paid 140.00 to have these glasses sent to me in canada.

·
Registered
492 Posts
walford is right! If I get out of my couch and move several feet back, the picture vastly improves.

I wonder if it's possible to fine tune the light going into the DLP Link receiver on the front, like put a filter over it?

Am I correct in thinking trying say the X103 with an IR will result in washed out colors, like have been reported with Mitsubishi TVs? Are those considered the best IR glasses right now, or are there better ones?

Transo, I have almost the exact same setup, but the 87S and I also have the TX-SR805 receiver, same player though. I'm about to switch to IR glasses.

Update: I read apost about someone using electrical tape for their glasses. The glasses were on an LCD TV so I figured that wouldn't work. However when I realized if I still far from the TV the picture looked fine, I figured I'd give it ashot. I set the brightness to 35, the contrast to 75. I covered roughly half of the sensor with electrical tape. Syncing is much better, and no color banding. It looks like if you adjust the amount of sensor visible and tweak the brightness a little (mine originally was set to 45/100) it will work with some trial and error.

I remember watching M vs. A in the store with an LCD based 3D TV. The 3D looked weird as it looked like 2D cut outs on a 3-dimensional plain--it lacked consistent depth. DLP 3D when it's working definitely looks better in IMO than those with LCD panels at least (not sure about plasma). Honestly I can't tell a drop in resolution definitely not 50% like it's claimed, and the TV in the store was only 42" (about) vs my 61", sitting about I think 6-7 feet away.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have no idea why, but, when I switched from running the hdmi signal directly from the DVD player to the TV, to the running it through the receiver, the sync was perfect. Everything else was the same (distance, glasses, brightness setting, etc.). It could be my imagination, but it seems the picture 'depth' is greater now as well. In the beginning of 'Under the Sea', the camera is sort of skimming across the ocean floor. The effect I am seeing is that half of the scene (depth wise) is behind the TV screen and the other half is in front. There is a scene where sea snakes are swimming toward the camera. You get the illusion you could reach out and touch them. The image is as sharp as a tack with no visible chromatic aberration.

One thing I did notice is that now, the normal / invert 3D setting on the TV is critical as is the setting of the glasses. At least with this 3DBR disk (the only one I have), the TV must be set to 'normal' and the glasses to what I assume is 'inverted (two pushes of the button, starting with the glasses, off. Before, with the hdmi signal going directly to the TV, the setting of the TV and glasses didn't seem to make much difference. Well another 3DBD disk is coming tomorrow. I'll see if all of this holds true with it.

·
Registered
492 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by transco /forum/post/19650304

I have no idea why, but, when I switched from running the hdmi signal directly from the DVD player to the TV, to the running it through the receiver, the sync was perfect. Everything else was the same (distance, glasses, brightness setting, etc.). It could be my imagination, but it seems the picture 'depth' is greater now as well. In the beginning of 'Under the Sea', the camera is sort of skimming across the ocean floor. The effect I am seeing is that half of the scene (depth wise) is behind the TV screen and the other half is in front. There is a scene where sea snakes are swimming toward the camera. You get the illusion you could reach out and touch them. The image is as sharp as a tack with no visible chromatic aberration.

One thing I did notice is that now, the normal / invert 3D setting on the TV is critical as is the setting of the glasses. At least with this 3DBR disk (the only one I have), the TV must be set to 'normal' and the glasses to what I assume is 'inverted (two pushes of the button, starting with the glasses, off. Before, with the hdmi signal going directly to the TV, the setting of the TV and glasses didn't seem to make much difference. Well another 3DBD disk is coming tomorrow. I'll see if all of this holds true with it.

I'm going to scratch that with the tape. It's better, but it's not to the point that it works. At this point, I'm about ready to give up on DLP Link and chalk it up to YMMV, and get the IR. A decreased picture quality from the IR glasses is still better than wacky colors and really poor syncing in my opinion!

What receiver?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts