AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long-time follower, first-time poster...

I just saw the 61hln617w and was very impressed. I read the April 2 posts on the new units, but I had trouble collating all the information. I have two questions:

1. Have discrete codes been implemented in the 61hln617w?

2. Other than the cosmetic changes (the new bezel), does the hln567 provide any pq/ease-of-use/connectivity/bug fix improvements over the 61 that would make that a better unit to purchase?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by marathonman
Long-time follower, first-time poster...

I just saw the 61hln617w and was very impressed. I read the April 2 posts on the new units, but I had trouble collating all the information. I have two questions:

1. Have discrete codes been implemented in the 61hln617w?

2. Other than the cosmetic changes (the new bezel), does the hln567 provide any pq/ease-of-use/connectivity/bug fix improvements over the 61 that would make that a better unit to purchase?

Thanks.
To the best of my knowledge the answers are:

1.) No. (I OWN the HLN617W and can tell you this for certain)

2.) Not really other than the POSSIBLE inclusion of discrete codes since there will be a newer version of the firmware on the new HLN models when they come out in June-ish (latest news).

Later,

Jeff

·
Registered
370 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by marathonman
It is possible that the 467 and 567 will have improvements in all those categories except the connectivity. It will have the same input/outputs with the same limitations as the other sets.

·
Registered
856 Posts
My understanding is that the HLM and HLN did NOT have any cosmetic changes. If I am incorrect could someone post the pictures?

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Resist
My understanding is that the HLM and HLN did NOT have any cosmetic changes. If I am incorrect could someone post the pictures?
You are 100% correct. There is no discernible way to tell an HLM617W from and HLN617W other than the sticker on the back.

Well now crap... I may have spoken to soon. Perhaps there is no DNIe logo on the HLM version? Ugh... not sure. Ok, how 'bout you are 95% correct? :rolleyes:

Later,

Jeff

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
Quote:
What Iceblade said about the HLM617 and HLN617 is true but the HLN437 and HLN507 will have the same black bezel as the 617 sets( instead of the silver bezel).

·
Registered
3 Posts
My dealer has agreed toreplace my HLM617W with an HLN617W within the week. Should I attempt to stall this replacement until May or June so as to receive a set with the upgrades/fixes that I have been reading about on this forum. I won't mind receivng the HLN617W right now if the fixes can be added later for a reasonable charge. I am a novice and at the outer limits of knowledge of these mtaters. This forum has been a real eyeopener for me. I did not know that others were as obsessed with their sets as I am.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Quote:
There are NO upgrades for the 617.
HLN617's that are comng out in June should have discrete codes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
What are discrete codes?? Is this an item that is a 'must have' or just something that is nice to have. Is there anyone in the Baltimore area I could contact who can tweak my set. My gut feeling is that I should not attempt to tweak the set on my own--unless I can return to factory defaults very easily in the event I screw something up.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
- Among the HLM models, HLM617W had the best electronics - Faroudja 2300 instead of 2200 in other models, and DNIe. In the HLN models, I believe that all the units get the same electronics as HLM617W - which means no electronics change for the 61" model and other sizes get improved electronics.

- All sizes have essentially the same firmware - which has been improved in the HLN models. HLM models should be able to upgrade firmware for free - although I haven't heard of any upgrade procedure yet

- If discrete codes is a firmware change in the future - then I believe that all units, HLM and HLN, should be able to get it for free. If it is an electronics change - that's another matter.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lgroveman
The dealer is just saw said the the HLN would have the black bezel and a longer bulb life.

Well I just looked at a 5065HLN and it didn't have a black bezel. Only certain models will have this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think the HLN617W will have the black bezel and the HLN5065 will not.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Anyone have a clue to good pricing sources on the HLM/N617W? Best prices paid? I have found an internet dealer that quoted me $4k plus shipping ($300)!!

·
Registered
856 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Phillip Potts
I think the HLN617W will have the black bezel and the HLN5065 will not.

The 617 has always had the black bezel.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by s2foster
Anyone have a clue to good pricing sources on the HLM/N617W? Best prices paid? I have found an internet dealer that quoted me $4k plus shipping ($300)!!
$4300 for a 617W? Take it... but beware. Price and availability are two different animals.

I 'bought' one in mid Feb. To date, I'm still awaiting actual shipment. The good news is that I will most likely receive the HLN once it comes in. At the price I got, I am willing to wait all summer. If it's not delivered by the end of August, I will most likely cancel the whole thing and wait to see what the next generation/model of the Toshiba LCoS line has to offer. (Hopefully a smaller/lighter cabinet will be available. I can't understand why those thing have to weigh 300lbs!)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by s2foster
where did you order and it remains waiting- just so none of us get "burned!" Thanks.
I'm not going to go there. Very few 617's have been available and/or shipping (especially at the price mine is locked in for), so I'm not going to slam the vendor. It's been my choice to wait this long... When I ordered mine, they were out of stock and were placing an order that same week.

My point was an obvious one... make sure the product can ship for the given price, unless you're like me and can wait-out any delays.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.