AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My company has left the decision of buying the largest and best plasma. I need the advice of fellow contributors in this forum.

Does anyone have any info or advice whether the Samsung 63 inch plasma monitor is worth it? I understand it has a technology that prevents image burn. Does any of the 61 inch monitors have this technology?

Also, assuming I do not choose the Samsung 63 inch, my other two choices would be the NEC 61 inch and Fujitsu 61 inch. Which of these two are better watching DVDs and Satellite channel movies?

Thank you for any advice.

Sam

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Well, Sam, I don't think the Samsung can be bought anywhere, i.e. it doesn't exist yet. I don't believe it has any new technology to prevent burn in that all others don't have. I suspect the Fujitsu may be slightly better for DVD and satellite. What kind of company do you work for where you get to watch movies on a plasma?

Mark

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I work with an advertising company and we have to watch a lot of adverts and also movies during work.

You sure the Fujitsu is better than the NEC?

Why I ask about the Samsung is that I read that it has a technology that moves static images. Padon my ignorance if I am wrong. I do not know much or anything about plasmas.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've had the opportunity to see the Fujitsu and the NEC side-by-side and I would recommend the NEC. It seemed brighter with better color saturation. The only category the Fujitu won out on was rapid movement across the screen, it seemed to handle it slightly better.

Just my $0.02

Harry

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Sam,

I've seen neither of these units.

However, from what I understand, Fujitsu sources its panels from other manufacturers. In the case of its 50" display it is Panasonic glass. In the Case of the 60 incher, it is NEC glass.

What Fujitsu brings is its own proprietary electronic circuits - its representatives have boasted about holding over 400 patents, although what each of these is must be considered: one could hold that many patents revolving around a simple threaded screw...

Most folks are very positive about the AVM processor that Fujitsu uses in its top models. This chip "smoothes the edges" in layman's terms, before jaggies appear on the screen. Useful when you don't have an expensive external scaler which often does a better job yet.

As others here have endorsed the NEC after seeing both of them side by side, definitely try to see them first. Remember that the only difference will be the inputs and the scaling electronics - the phosphors used in the panel are the same.

Plasma displays are not yet a mature technology. This is especially true of the bigger displays: in terms of image quality they are subpar if directly compared to smaller units.

But for the purposes you mention, mostly watching the ads we prefer to zap, then either the NEC or the Fujitsu would serve the purpose well. Make sure your seating distance is far enough away. Pixel structure is a residual parameter not yet sufficiently resolved, especially for the larger displays which have bigger pixels and bigger gaps between them.

Cheers,

·
Premium Member
8,098 Posts
Brett,

Don't under-estimate the Japanese obssession with patents. We get calls from Japanese customers who want to know how many patents each products hold (they ask this before getting prices, or even specifications!).

If the Fujitsu is worse than the NEC, then we're all in trouble here - the NEC didn't look that good last time I saw it.

I guess it's possible that we're comparing apples and oranges - each person can have their own opinion on what is "Good" PQ and what is "bad".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.