AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just bought Samsung's 63" PS63B680 in the UK.

It replaces an older generation 50" 720p Panasonic.

I'm still a plasma fan - keep checking LCD/LED, but keep coming back.

The picture on the new set (once adjusted) is superb apart from one really annoying problem.

With pale or white backgrounds I immediately noticed banding of different brightness/tint. This was not present on the Panasonic.

I assumed this was a source problem at first, but as a test I removed all inputs and ran the screen's scroll feature.

The picture shows the result.

Any horizontal variation you can see (all from normal viewing distance) is on the screen rather than a problem with the camera image.

If you raise or lower your viewing angle the effects can be seen more easily.

With pale skies, snow scenes and white backgrounds it sends me mad.

All the fancy jargon and features, but it doesn't appear able to display white?!

I'm having a visit from the techs on Friday.

If they say this is normal I will not accept this lightly - views anyone?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Samsung came two days early!

Have agreed it's a fault and say the TV needs swapping.

Has to be a result - as I feared a flat denial.

Only problem now is that the retailer has no more TV's in stock and has now dropped the item due to shortages.

Either Samsung will have to supply a replacement or I get a refund and take out a second mortgage to buy a 65" Panasonic.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have the same european model (PS63B680). What you describe is, I believe, inherent of the plasma technology and the big size 63"

I have it on mine and I have noticed it in all 63" sets I have seen. I have not noticed it on the 50" model.

If you calibrate your picture as it should be and adjust the constrast, cell light and brightness values as they should, the problem is 99% not noticeable in real world matterial.

You can notice it only if you look for it and as you said when the camera moves vertically on a pale background (white or blue etc).

My advise is that you enjoy your otherwise amazing set and stop looking for problems

This set has an awesome picture when is adjusted as it should.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK

Samsung have confirmed the screen is faulty.

Comet say the same and say it needs sorting.

I saw the fault when watching normal sources and only looked deeper after that.

Comet no longer sells it and is offering a refund - sounds OK, but...

Nobody else in the country has these for sale unless I pay stupid money (£2100 from Comet after some haggling, free delivery, etc) and Samsung won't be making more until the end of the month at the very earliest and can't say when they will be shipping more to the UK.

Soooo - I live with a faulty TV, I save money and buy a 60" LG with poor black levels, I wait months with no TV and buy a Samsung when/if they turn up or wait even longer and spend multi megabucks on the new Panasonic 65".

Choices, choices.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.