AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I passed by a Samsung 63" today which had a pure-blue screen but when I moved my eyes around on it, noise jumped out for those split seconds. Never seen anything like it. It was almost like an extroadinary amount of temporal dithering was going on that my eyes were picking up on.

Can anyone theorize what this was about?

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't realize there was more than one. It arrived in J&R's showroom a few weeks ago, so presumably it's brand new.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Doug, did they have the 50" on display?

·
Registered
579 Posts
I saw the 61" Pio plasma today at Tweeter with PBS HD feed and I was disappointed. We have the Panny 42" HD and are very happy with the PQ . Now wife wants a >60" plasma. My impression is that the few additional pixels placed on a much bigger surface area actually degrades the PQ. If I have to sit way back to enjoy the plasma then I'll lose the immersion effect. They need to put more but smaller pixels on the 60 plus plasma to make them worthwhile is my opinion! 1280X720 just can't cut it. Even the 50" Panny, Pio,Philip, Sony didn't look as good as the Panny 42"HD which is also in the store with the same PBS HD loop feed!

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by doug_k
I passed by a Samsung 63" today which had a pure-blue screen but when I moved my eyes around on it, noise jumped out for those split seconds. Never seen anything like it. It was almost like an extroadinary amount of temporal dithering was going on that my eyes were picking up on.

Can anyone theorize what this was about?
Not sure what it is, but I see that with my plasma (Panasonic 4UY) with a blue-back screen (on the occasions it's hooked up to my Yamaha S-1200 DVD player). For some reason it's more noticable with progressive output turned on. I don't have that player hooked up right now to try it again, but I remember the effect as being kind of a peripheral image noise.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
deeann - you mean peripheral to where you're immediately looking? Aren't the eyes more sensitive to motion somehow as you move toward the periphery? That would pick up strobing and other "motion".

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by CMR
Doug, did they have the 50" on display?
I think the (or a) samsung 50" was right next to it, but not sure if it's new or old.

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
That sounds right, but I'll hook up the Yamaha to see if it's the same as I remember it. It doesn't seem to happen on a VCR blue-back screen.

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
Yeah, it's strobing not where the center of vision is but the area around it, and only when moving my eyes. It's not as bad as I remember it being when I had this player hooked up to it last (but I might also be desensitized to it). I was always thinking it was coming from the DVD player itself.

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
Not the full panel. It looks like of like faint flickery curves. Like if I look up and left, they show up on the bottom right (until I try to look directly, then it's somewhere else). It's actually a lot more subtle then it sounds when you read it described.

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
Here's a kind of lame attempt to recreate it. It's not exactly what I see (and it moves), but it should kind of give you an idea, to see if we're talking about the same thing.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Interesting....

gotta go back and look and see if this is it. I do recall waves of sorts (if that's what you're depicting) but it was directly in the area where I was moving my eyes...

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I have never seen anything like that on my 63 incher.

And for the poster who doesn't think it can do justice to HD, I say phooie. I am watching Discovery HD on mine right now at 8 feet from the screen and it is absolutly stunning.

E. J.

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
It only seems to happen on mine with that particular combo (4uy + Yamaha S-1200 DVD player) and then only on the DVD player blue screen, so while it's an interesting effect, I'm not concerned.

·
Registered
114 Posts
The IEEE has documented an effect called the "Frito Effect." If you like to eat crunchy foods while watching TV, you may want to skip the rest of this message. Eating crunchy food while watching a CRT makes the picture look wiggly. It's caused by the fact that your skull vibrates while you're eating the crunchy food, which vibrates your eyes a little bit. I doubt that it would happen while watching a plasma, or if it did happen, it would look different.

Steak, applesauce, chocolate candy (unless with nuts in center) are not crunchy and don't cause the effect.

Tequila may cause it but I'm pretty sure it would be for a completely different reason.

On a more serious note, your peripheral vision has less persistence than your central vision. Since plasma screens are strobed at very high speed, your central vision easily ignores the flicker. If you sit too close you could end up with the corners of the screen in your non-persistent peripheral vision. It could also happen if you look at a corner and get the opposite corner in your peripheral vision.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.