AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had originally bought the Samsung 6300 65" but after setting it up just could not live with the chrome stand as it seemed to reflect spots of light into the eyes. Also, with the tv off, the chrome seemed to shine like a beacon! I then bought the 7100 series which has a much better stand. Before returning the 6300 I set them up together to compare picture quality, and was surprised that the picture on the cheaper 6300 was better in that the blacks were blacker and also the 7100 had very bad flashlighting in all 4 corners, where the white clouds were about 7" each. I have tried adjusting the set using the specs suggested by Consumer Reports and also experimenting with different settings on backlight, but the flaring still remains. The 7100 has a Samsung panel (TH01) & 6300 AH01.

The flashlighting is more pronounced in the righthand bottom corner where it extends 8". I attach a photo but it is a bit blurry due to not having a camera tripod. That photo was taken with the backlight set at 8. In realty, the flashlighting looks worse than in the photo. It's hard to believe that this tv costs nearly $250 more when the picture is so inferior. Looks like I will be taking the 7100 back and trying to paint the stand on the 6300! Pity, as I really liked the mousing and keyboard features of the 7100, but to me a good picture has to override all else. My other option would be to return both and shop for a tv with both a good picture with a black less obtrusive stand. Any suggestions as to makes and models here?

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had my 65" 7100 for about a week now and I must have been one of the lucky ones.
I don't have a lick of flashlighting on my set, and there is absolutely minimal clouding when all the lights are off and on a dark screen.
Watched a few episodes of House of Cards season 3 in 4K last night and it was glorious.
Glad I waited for the 7100 instead of jumping on an HU set.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Since I posted I finally received a callback from Samsung in response to my complaint. The representative spoke very poor English and was difficult to understand but informed me that flashlighting is normal and will go away in 2-3 weeks. I asked why that would be and if I should leave the tv on all the time to help accelerate the process. Unfortunately I could not understand the answer.

·
Registered
17,447 Posts
Since I posted I finally received a callback from Samsung in response to my complaint. The representative spoke very poor English and was difficult to understand but informed me that flashlighting is normal and will go away in 2-3 weeks. I asked why that would be and if I should leave the tv on all the time to help accelerate the process. Unfortunately I could not understand the answer.
I've seen some say that but honestly I think it's bs. My 2013 f7100 had horrible flashlighting as well and never got better after 11 months of owning it. Clouding is easier to fix.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've seen some say that but honestly I think it's bs. My 2013 f7100 had horrible flashlighting as well and never got better after 11 months of owning it. Clouding is easier to fix.
I was pleasantly surprised that the CS rep was right, as after a few days the problem improved and now there is no flashlighting. I am now very pleased with the picture quality of this tv. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts