AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I bought a Samsung 40 inch LNA650 (2008 model) for $1199. I have read on the forums that the 2009 models (LNB650) feature a LED backlight instead of the CCFL backlight present in the current 2008 model.

Firstly, do you guys consider that as a good price? (Sorry if price talk isn't allowed. I saw one of the sony threads that stated that price talk wasnt allowed, but I didn't see it elsewhere so I don't know if thats a rule here.)

Secondly, other than saving electricity, what is the other main difference for LED? Which is better in your opinion? Is it too early to get a LED-LCD TV since I read about some halo effect on the 8 series?

Thirdly, What is the pricing going to be like for the 2009 series?

Considering the money and differences in the 2 models, which one will you guys go for?

Thanks!

Also, I read the on calibration thread, but theres so many different calibrations posted. Which one works best? I know it varies due to opinions of different people, but is there one calibration that's generally agreed on to be really great?

Thank you guys so much!!

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Last I saw, the B650 was still going to be a CCFL. The more mid range LED's were new model lines, something like B6000. LD LED is a tremendous improvement for sure, but I think there were questions as to the existence of a 40" LED model, and they're definitely not going to be $1200 for quite a while. You'll have to wait for the CES pressers to know for sure though.

*Edit* Yea, hadn't looked at the thread in a while, looks like some new info got bumped recently . There does appear to be 40"er LEDs, but they are new model lines, not the B650's.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would you pick a 2009 or 2008 model then? considering the 2009 isn't going to be on sale when its out. I got the 2008 model on sale because of the holidays.

The most important question of all: Does LED-LCD increases color quality (such as level of blacks, or color vibrancy etc) or increases brightness of the screen? I know it saves power, but is there anything more than that?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Another quick question.

Bestbuy has some kind of warranty plan for like $350. is it worth it?

·
Registered
63 Posts
The price you paid for the TV is a pretty decent one and most likely won't be anywhere near as low with one of the 2009 TVs for quite some times especially with LEDs. If you are happy with the 650, and you should be
, I'd stick with it. See what some other people say though, don't trust just my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enharu /forum/post/15457748

Another quick question.

Bestbuy has some kind of warranty plan for like $350. is it worth it?

Probably not. They rarely are worth the price especially on technologies that have proven themselves, which definitely includes LCDs. Best Buy makes huge amounts on money on warranty plans which basically tells you that they rarely have to pay out on them. Skip the warranty unless you have a good reason not to.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ah icic.

thanks!

so the LED-LCDs would be a lot more expensive i know, but how much more approximately? say 1k?

Also, what's the big hype about LED-LCDs other than saving power?

·
Registered
1,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by enharu /forum/post/15460384

ah icic.

thanks!

so the LED-LCDs would be a lot more expensive i know, but how much more approximately? say 1k?

Also, what's the big hype about LED-LCDs other than saving power?

KURO-like blacks if they are locally dimmed

·
Registered
1,168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLee /forum/post/15462451

KURO-like blacks if they are locally dimmed

But only if you sit directly in front of it
Then again, most people do sit in the center anyway, family and friends be damned

When there's no more off angle issues, I'm sold on a sammy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so basically colors are deeper and better in quality? does the TV last longer?

How long does normal light bulb (CCFL) LCD last in general for a samsung?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts