AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody, I have a Samsung HD TV and calibrating it at the moment. I know I have to set my TV as close to 6500K as possible and everybody is saying set it to Warm2 but all I have is Cool, Normal, and Warm. There is no Warm2 so I don't know which option I should choose. Thanks for your feedback

·
Registered
911 Posts
Hey everybody, I have a Samsung HD TV and calibrating it at the moment. I know I have to set my TV as close to 6500K as possible and everybody is saying set it to Warm2 but all I have is Cool, Normal, and Warm. There is no Warm2 so I don't know which option I should choose. Thanks for you for the feed back
Instead of setting your white point to 6500K which could be to magenta, or even too green, the correct setting is D65, which is 313x 329y any other point either then this can be 6500K but not D65. Set it to Warm which is closest for your particular set so that would be the color temp I woulled use to start your calibration. Are you using a meter ? If you are not then the best you could do for your TV is used a calibration disk and setup the basic patterns, brightness, contrast , sharpness, color, color temp , disable most of the dynamic contrast, black tone stuff . Leave grey scale, 2pt and 10pt alone as well as the color management system or CMS.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Instead of setting your white point to 6500K which could be to magenta, or even too green, the correct setting is D65, which is 313x 329y any other point either then this can be 6500K but not D65. Set it to Warm which is closest for your particular set so that would be the color temp I woulled use to start your calibration. Are you using a meter ? If you are not then the best you could do for your TV is used a calibration disk and setup the basic patterns, brightness, contrast , sharpness, color, color temp , disable most of the dynamic contrast, black tone stuff . Leave grey scale, 2pt and 10pt alone as well as the color management system or CMS.
I'm using a AVS HD 709 disc

·
Registered
911 Posts
I'm using a AVS HD 709 disc
No color meter then? just the AVS disk, stick to adjusting just the basic settings like I mentioned in the above posts. You will need a meter to adjust the grey scale and cms as the eye is easily fooled and not something recommended so stay away from adjusting the white balance and grey scale that is for the pro or the amateur with a color meter.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No color meter then? just the AVS disk, stick to adjusting just the basic settings like I mentioned in the above posts. You will need a meter to adjust the grey scale and cms as the eye is easily fooled and not something recommended so stay away from adjusting the white balance and grey scale that is for the pro or the amateur with a color meter.
I'm using Movie Mode with Warm but everything looks washed out.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Sorry for the late reply.

If you have correctly adjusted the basic settings in Movie mode, you will notice when you play your NBA 2k14 that the skin tones and court tints will look more accurate and realistic. Even if you left Movie mode at default values, it should still be closer to rec 709 than Standard mode. Plus, Movie mode has all external processing off which will decrease input lag for gaming.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry for the late reply.

If you have correctly adjusted the basic settings in Movie mode, you will notice when you play your NBA 2k14 that the skin tones and court tints will look more accurate and realistic. Even if you left Movie mode at default values, it should still be closer to rec 709 than Standard mode. Plus, Movie mode has all external processing off which will decrease input lag for gaming.
Thanks! So the correct setting would be Movie mode and color temp Warm? Not movie mode color temp standard?

·
Registered
903 Posts
Standard mode has dynamic contrast set to on which is incorrect. You are probably not used to it being turned off. Make sure you correctly adjusted the basic settings in Movie mode.
I knew something looked different about standard mode vs movie but without a meter I can't really tell for sure.The colors are obviously more saturated and I think they have dynamic contrast SLIGHTLY on but it's lower than the regular dynamic contrast low setting. Samsung e450.

Edit now I can't tell if dyn cont is on in standard mode.dang

·
Registered
229 Posts
I knew something looked different about standard mode vs movie but without a meter I can't really tell for sure.The colors are obviously more saturated and I think they have dynamic contrast SLIGHTLY on but it's lower than the regular dynamic contrast low setting. Samsung e450.

Edit now I can't tell if dyn cont is on in standard mode.dang
Yeah man, Samsung's Movie modes are always the closest to the standards we aim for. All the processing gimmicks are usually turned off by default.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts