AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mom picked up the TV and a Samsung soundbar. I set it up for her and I got it up and running. I just have a couple of questions.

First, where can I find info on what are the best settings on the TV for the best picture. At the very least, the best picture that can be set up by someone that isn't a professional. She isn't a technophile and it's not a huge deal for her, but I want to make sure she gets the best picture for her money.

The second question is regarding the soundbar. She lives in an apartment and I'm trying to figure out the best placement for the subwoofer that will give the best quality without making her go deaf. If you are standing in the middle of the room, looking at the tv, there is a couch to the right, two recliners behind you and a love seat to the right. She will be mostly be sitting on the recliner at the back left. From there it is about 12 - 14 ft from the TV. With that in mind, where would be the best placement for the subwoofer.

Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
Try this.

Picture Mode: Movie

Brightness: 44 (this depends if you have other brightness/black level adjusters on with either the TV or device like the ps3). With 4 devices I tested (HDMi and Component), 44 has been the optimal brightness. You can tweak this yourself by having a black image on screen, setting your TV to 4:3 and matching the black image with the vertical bars on the side, no more, no less. That is the optimal black. If you have a pc 0-255 grayscale image, match the 0 column with the black bars in 4:3 mode.

Gamma: -3

Tint: 51/49

Dynamic Contrast: Off

Black Adjust: Off

HDMI Black Level: Standard

Edge Enhancement: Off

Color Gamut: RGB

LED Level: Low, Min in a completely dark room.

Sharpness, people say to stay under 25, but I like the sharpness of 50 (personal preference).

Leave everything else at default.

Remember that any device yopu plug to your TV may have picture altering settings.

Can't help you with the sound. I just put my sub next to the TV stand.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts

Quote:
I just put my sub next to the TV stand.

+1

Or

In a corner..

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
The best picture is the one that looks best to your mom. It depends upon what content she watches and how much light is in the room. What may look great to one person may not look so good to another. Show you mom some HD content she likes to watch and start with the default values provided by Samsung. Then try various settings to see if she likes it better. The saying is "beauty is in the eyes of the beholder".

1 - 4 of 4 Posts