AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tried all four HDMI ports and am even using a Seiki HDMI/usb cord specifically meant for upconversion and when I press info on my TV it's still showing the output as 1080i. I've messed around with other UHD TVs before and it should at least show that it's being outputted in 2160p, correct?

Is there something I'm doing wrong? Is this model not good at upscaling? I still have a couple more weeks to take it back to Best Buy. I bought a 55" open box model for $900 so I got a pretty good deal. But I'm still looking at the LG 55" ($300 more) and the Vizio P series for $999. Any advice y'all could give would be appreciated. I'm new to this technology and it's extremely tough to find straight answers on many of these questions. Especially when BB doesn't even allow you to try out the TVs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
This sounds correct. When you press info and it says 1080i, that's telling you what the input is from your source.

If this is a 4K set, then it has that many pixels and there is no way that the output can be anything other than 4K, or not all the pixels would be lit. By definition, the TV is upscaling the input just as you want it to.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Yeah, what Vortec said is correct. It's telling you the signal that it is receiving, not what your screen is displaying. It's always 4K on your screen. It upscales automatically. When it says 1080i, it's telling you that it's upscaling from 1080i to 4K.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for the answers. The 4k streams on netflix and amazon look amazing in 4k and am very happy with those. The info does indicate 2160 while those are playing. Guess I'm just not that blown away by the "upscaled" 1080 picture to 4k. I was led to believe there would be a noticeable difference. Is this normal or is the upscaler in my TV lacking? I know this is not one of Samsung's higher end TVs, but I'm not going to drop 2-3grand. There's an LG for $1100 and Vizio for $999, both 55". Do you think I'd have better luck with one of those sets? Anyone have a UHD television where the upscale from 1080 is stunningly better or is this par for the course?

Sorry for all the questions...just every sales guy tells me something different and it's extremely hard to find straight answers and I want to make sure I have the right set.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Thanks guys for the answers. The 4k streams on netflix and amazon look amazing in 4k and am very happy with those. The info does indicate 2160 while those are playing. Guess I'm just not that blown away by the "upscaled" 1080 picture to 4k. I was led to believe there would be a noticeable difference. Is this normal or is the upscaler in my TV lacking? I know this is not one of Samsung's higher end TVs, but I'm not going to drop 2-3grand. There's an LG for $1100 and Vizio for $999, both 55". Do you think I'd have better luck with one of those sets? Anyone have a UHD television where the upscale from 1080 is stunningly better or is this par for the course?

Sorry for all the questions...just every sales guy tells me something different and it's extremely hard to find straight answers and I want to make sure I have the right set.
It's an entry level 4k set. It has a 60hz panel. The Vizio does not have better upscaling, but may offer other advantages. I can't speak for the LG, but it is an IPS panel and won't have great black levels. In this price range, there will be some trade-offs. Upscaled Blu-ray should look pretty good. Upscaled TV will depend on the source. It's not always the TV's fault, if 1080p looks bad.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts