AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the primary differences between the two. All I can really tell is that the 81 series has LED. Does it really make all that much of a difference? Are there bigger advancements in the AMP technology in the 81 series? I'd like to know as AMP is the main reason I'm looking at these new 120hz sets.

Also, I've read that a firmware update has improved some of the artifacts visible when AMP is turned on.

When you buy a new LCD, is it already updated to the latest firmware?

If not, how do I go about updating it?

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
As far as firmware is concerned you can check out the 81 on CNET and learn how you can check to see if your set has the latest - make it a condition of your contract when you buy since the set you get may have been sitting in a warehouse for the last six months.

I've seen both these sets and I think they're both very nice. The 81 is the one I am considering buying since it has the best black level I have seen from any LCD or plasma so far. It is a 60hz set, but recycles the LED lighting at 120hz, or something like that, if you engage motion plus - there are many here who can explain it better than me. Do a search - there are some major threads on both the 71 and 81 here.

Cheers,

Grant

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, that answered quite a bit. Do you perhaps know how to update firmware in the case that I did end up with an earlier version?

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
81 doesn't have AMP. It's a 60hz set. It has some smart motion technology but it doesn't do what AMP does on the 71. Hell, after testing the 81 at Best Buy, the motion option of the 81 didn't have any noticeable difference on or off.

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
The motion option on the 81 actually gives the T.V. 800 lines of vertical resolution (according to HDGuru) vs. 550 without it on, which is the most any LCD can do during motion. The extra resolution during motion should decrease blur. Interesting that no one can actually see this. Maybe 720p sets are what we should be buying.

With respect to the firmware update - from owners' reports don't rely on Samsug to help you with this. Either make the retailer responsible for getting you a set with the latest firmware or buy something else. If your contract stipulates (make it a condition) you are to receive a set with the latest firmware and you check it and it has the older firmware then the retailer will have to take it back and get you another set as agreed to by both parties! If I were buying this set I would make it conditional on it having the latest firmware.

Cheers,

Grant

1 - 5 of 5 Posts