AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have a very nice set up of sound coming from my DCM Timeframe (TF600) (have a center and rear surrounds, as well as powered 10" sub too) all hooked to my Onkyo TX-NR801. The Onkyo has incredible power and audio quality for those times when I want power for listening to music, so I'd like to keep this, but my older LCD projection TV recently burned a bulb and rather than replace the bulb, I upgraded to the Samsun UN65H7100AF from Costco, which is the same as the 7150 from other places.

I used to sell/install these systems years ago, but haven't been involved in any of that in a long time and lost much of the knowledge.

So, my question - How best to retain the audio equipment when hooking up this new TV to get the surround, but at a minimum, the center and left/right?
I'd like to have one remote to contraol everything and I'm really tired of the crappy Harmony remote I had for years with that Onkyo, as you have to be exact when aiming it. The Samsung has incredible remotes which are very forgiving. Is there a way to allow the Samsung remotes to control the Onkyo? Is there even a way to hook this Onkyo to this Samsung UN65H7100AF?

I wanted to post links to the manuals, but the site won't allow, since I'm a noob.... Sorry...

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.... I thought about using the optical out, but was told that I'd not get the complete Dolby surround operational at the receiver...only the left and right.

Also, using the optical out on the TV to the optical in on the receiver, will the TV remote still control volume?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My goal isn't to use anything "smart" rather I simply want to use my current audio setup with my new Samsung TV. The Onkyo TX-NR801 receiver with the Samsung 7100/7150 series 65" TV. I do have a DirecTV Genie box, as a Set Top Box, if that helps in any way.

I'd also like for the remote(s) (there are 2 hand remotes and a keyboard) that come with the TV to control the volume too. Shouldn't be as difficult as this is. With all the "smarts" and technology in TV's and remotes these days, I'm surprised to see that this TV doesn't have audio outputs for hooking to an amp and/or receiver.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts