AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon all!

So I'm thinking about turning my comp into an HTPC - ever since I've had a family, gaming time has become VERY little, so I think it would be the best use for this hunk of stuff. Also, my DVD library is very large, so it might be easier to rip everything on as opposed to finding out where my bloody discs have been hidden by my kids.

I'll be as comprehensive as I can in info for quality assurance.

Question #1:

1. My Samsung 4266W manual says to consult Windows / graphics cards docs for proper display settings. Windows / graphics cards says to consult TV manual. So, anyone have any experience with that TV and an HTPC? What is the resolution you should actually set for the TV on Windows? I'll be using it for ripped DVD playback and some light gaming. I also understand that if you do cloned setups, you have to have same resolution on both monitors, whereas extended desktop allows for two different resolutions. Currently using a Rosewill 19", which is 1280x1024 default. For sound, I can use the mini-Toslink out on my MB's soundcard (VNF4 Ultra) to my RCA receiver, so that won't be an issue. As for hi-def DVD . . . I think I'm going to wait for prices to drop more before investing in a drive for my comp.

Question #2:

2. My current config: Athlon 3000+ S939, 1GB RAM, Geforce 6600, 80GB Harddrive, Windows XP Home. I see two ways I can go with this: add on a 750gb HD to handle all the ripped DVD's and use Media Portal for HTPC features and DVDFab for ripping. Or, upgrade the config to Vista Home Premium to get HTPC functionality and upgrade the hardware (C2D, more RAM, etc etc). I won't be doing any TV recording (I have my DishNetwork DVR for that), and my net connection is to slow to do any HD streaming from ABC, etc. Any recommendations?

I think that about covers it for now, thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
720p is 1280x720 so set the resolution for that and as for question 2 you don't really need to upgrade anything if you are just playing DVD movies (besides a HDD for storage) but if you do get HD-DVD or Blu-ray then you will. Vista is nice but not required unless you want media center, I have it on my HTPC but never use media center personally.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts