AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the 8550 ordered but do not need to take possession for another 2 weeks or so from Magnolia as our room is under construction. I ran across the above, I assume 2015 model, at Costco for about $400 less than what I paid at Magnolia for last years 8550. Which TV is better? Should I consider another 2015 model? My preference is non-curved model and ideally 70" min. Thanks

Greg

·
Registered
384 Posts
I have the 8550 ordered but do not need to take possession for another 2 weeks or so from Magnolia as our room is under construction. I ran across the above, I assume 2015 model, at Costco for about $400 less than what I paid at Magnolia for last years 8550. Which TV is better? Should I consider another 2015 model? My preference is non-curved model and ideally 70" min. Thanks

Greg
650D does not have Local (Hardware) dimming. Stick with the 8550. It will take the future OCB as well.

·
Registered
17,447 Posts
Thanks I did not know that? How about the new 7100 series ?
That's an awesome TV for the price. And it's rumored to be direct lit instead of edge lit. Not quite fald but better than edge lit. Nothing but rave reviews from new owners so far.

·
Registered
17,447 Posts
The 8550 I have on hold at magnolia.
With the 7100 you get Purcolor, contrast enhancer, better motion, new 4k picture chip/upscale, better blacks. The 8550 will be without those but the $400 ocb upgrade might bring some of those upgrades your way. I do think out of the box the 7100 will be noticeably better. So it's your call if u want the better tv.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
With the 7100 you get Purcolor, contrast enhancer, better motion, new 4k picture chip/upscale, better blacks. The 8550 will be without those but the $400 ocb upgrade might bring some of those upgrades your way. I do think out of the box the 7100 will be noticeably better. So it's your call if u want the better tv.
sorry what is the $400 ocb upgrade?

·
Registered
17,447 Posts
sorry what is the $400 ocb upgrade?
One connect box upgrade that comes out within the next 6 weeks. It's being debated exactly what upgrades are included. Without the upgrade the 7100 is definitely superior to the 8550, the ocb upgrade MIGHT bring the 8550 back up to par, but we won't know exactly til it gets released. That's why I think the 7100 is a safer bet but it does cost more.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'll have to jump in and just correct one thing Ray stated.

In Samsungs world, The hierarchy of "Good, Better, Best" when it comes to panel production is technically (Direct Lit > Edge Lit > Full Array Local Dimming).

The Direct Lit sets use large LEDs, roughly 40 total LEDS right behind the screen, but the do NOT dim independently to control contrast at all (would make for messy blacks/poor contrast on such a large panel).

The edge lit sets use a strip of LEDS on the left and right edge and "light guides" to redirect the light from the edges out to the eye. There are 400 LEDS (200 per side) on the 75HU8550, and each one dims independently. THis will prevent light bleed to an extent, and boost contrast (mainly due to the fact there are more of them) and the overall panel brightness will be better, not to mention the better non-plasticy aesthetics of the framing and other minor features on the 8550 series.

The Full array local dimming panels are similar to Direct Lit in that there is a grid of LEDS directly behind the panel, but on the full array local dimming panels, EACH one dims independently! And there are 200 zones on the newest model (which runs close to 12k for a 78, closest to the size you are buying). The provides the 'maximum" performance of LCD contrast, black level, brightness. But at a cost. I sold the HU8550 series like hot cakes for 2014 and the 75 is beautiful You will be very pleased.

·
Registered
17,447 Posts

In Samsungs world, The hierarchy of "Good, Better, Best" when it comes to panel production is technically (Direct Lit > Edge Lit > Full Array Local Dimming).

The Direct Lit sets use large LEDs, roughly 40 total LEDS right behind the screen, but the do NOT dim independently to control contrast at all (would make for messy blacks/poor contrast on such a large panel).

The edge lit sets use a strip of LEDS on the left and right edge and "light guides" to redirect the light from the edges out to the eye. There are 400 LEDS (200 per side) on the 75HU8550, and each one dims independently. THis will prevent light bleed to an extent, and boost contrast (mainly due to the fact there are more of them) and the overall panel brightness will be better, not to mention the better non-plasticy aesthetics of the framing and other minor features on the 8550 series.

The Full array local dimming panels are similar to Direct Lit in that there is a grid of LEDS directly behind the panel, but on the full array local dimming panels, EACH one dims independently! And there are 150 zones on the newest model (which runs close to 12k for a 78, closest to the size you are buying). The provides the 'maximum" performance of LCD contrast, black level, brightness. But at a cost. I sold the HU8550 series like hot cakes for 2014 and the 75 is beautiful You will be very pleased.
so edge lit is better than direct lit? i woulda thought the opposite.

·
Registered
17,447 Posts
I agree with you I thought the same thing until I was trained on the technical details of how the backlight works. In my showroom I have a direct lit 7250 next to an edge lit 8550 and it is markedly better, in my opinion.
so which one is direct lit this year? is the curved JU7500? there was someone who purchased both and had them side by side, and he said the JU7100 was light years better looking.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

The Full array local dimming panels are similar to Direct Lit in that there is a grid of LEDS directly behind the panel, but on the full array local dimming panels, EACH one dims independently! And there are 200 zones on the newest model (which runs close to 12k for a 78, closest to the size you are buying). The provides the 'maximum" performance of LCD contrast, black level, brightness. But at a cost. I sold the HU8550 series like hot cakes for 2014 and the 75 is beautiful You will be very pleased.
So Mark, you are saying keep the 8550 and not worry about the 7100? Also, what do I gain with the new OCB upgrade and is there a way to extend that connection, if I want to put the box in my av closet which is more than 6ft away (approx. 8-9ft)?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts