AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.....

I need some help on deciding what HDTV panel to go with!!!

I got two sets in mind and just can't make up my mind on which one to go with....

Samsung UN55B8000 55" 1080p LED HDTV

Pioneer KURO PDP-5020FD

I like them both, but there are a pros and cons in both sets!!!

What do you think? Which one i should pick? Picture quality and all.........

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
I've had a 6020 and a 55B650 (though not an LED but similar) in the same room that I'm in now. All I have to say is if you watch in a dimmed room much I'd get the Pioneer w/o a doubt. If you don't have bright lighting in your room the flaws with LCDs will start to show up much more so than you realize. Viewing angles didn't seem like much of an issue from my in store observations UNTIL I saw them in home under controlled lighting conditions. If you are wanting an LCD I would consider the up and coming 8500 series from Samsung over their 8000 series. Just my opinion though.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb1032 /forum/post/16936808

I've had a 6020 and a 55B650 (though not an LED but similar) in the same room that I'm in now. All I have to say is if you watch in a dimmed room much I'd get the Pioneer w/o a doubt. If you don't have bright lighting in your room the flaws with LCDs will start to show up much more so than you realize. Viewing angles didn't seem like much of an issue from my in store observations UNTIL I saw them in home under controlled lighting conditions. If you are wanting an LCD I would consider the up and coming 8500 series from Samsung over their 8000 series. Just my opinion though.

Thanks for reply.....

But why would you recommend 8500 series over 8000? The only thing different in 8500 is 7.000.000 contrast vs 8000's 5.000.000 contrast!!! You thing it's worth $500 more dollars?

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Screen size difference may be the most important factor. If you're considering these two sets you have likely seen the image produced by both and find them appealing.

Bigger is always better when all other things are about equal.

·
Registered
6,184 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] /forum/post/16937754

Thanks for reply.....

But why would you recommend 8500 series over 8000? The only thing different in 8500 is 7.000.000 contrast vs 8000's 5.000.000 contrast!!! You thing it's worth $500 more dollars?

The 8000 is an LED edge lit TV. The 8500 is local dimming. If you read C-Net's reviews on the Luxia series they will conclude that the TVs are not as good as the local dimming TVs like Sony's XBR8s and Samsung's A950 series. The 8500s are the replacement models for the A950s.

And for the Pioneers if you don't need an HD Tuner and speakers then you should consider the 500Ms as well. They have a few extra picture modes that would be nice over the 5020.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb1032 /forum/post/16940735

The 8000 is an LED backlit TV. The 8500 is local dimming. If you read C-Net's reviews on the Luxia series they will conclude that the TVs are not as good as the local dimming TVs like Sony's XBR8s and Samsung's A950 series. The 8500s are the replacement models for the A950s.

And for the Pioneers if you don't need an HD Tuner and speakers then you should consider the 500Ms as well. They have a few extra picture modes that would be nice over the 5020.

It's LED edge lit, not backlit. It uses a diffusor to disburse the lighting.

The 8500 has an array of LED's that flash like a plasma to aid with motion performance a bit more naturally, and they also dim locally to manipulate contrast.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your input guys, i'm really appreciated...

I've been in the BestBuy to see the Samsung 55 8000 series and i was very impressed, my friend got Pioneer 5020 and it is also very impressive, but he complains about his electrical bill, which was doubled up after purchasing the Pioneer!!!

So there are a few things that pulls me to the Samsung side!!!

Does anyone knows the release date for Samsung 8500 series?

P.S. also heard that LEDs life span is longer than Plasmas, can anyone confirm it? Display wise, fading and stuff!!!

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
Samsung's 8500 series is due out in September:

http://gizmodo.com/5326286/samsung-8...e-a-sweet-base

As far as his electricity bill goes that seems kind of odd. They do use more power but I'm not sure it's that bad. You may want to do some research on power usage as well.

Also, for LCDs you have to keep in mind that once lighting goes down so does the picture quality. Also, do poor at off-axis viewing. In the stores it doesn't look so bad. But once you get one home and in a room with medium to low lighting black levels will start to turn blueish when you go off axis. I hadn't realized how bad it was until I actually bought an LCD. Just an FYI.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I see....

So do you think 8500 will have better black than 8000? And is it a huge difference between Sams 8000LED and Pioneer's KUROs black level?

I'm also tempted by KUROs Improved ASIC Video Processing and Scaling!!! It leally makes DVD look much better!!!

P.S. Sorry for all my newb questions, i wish i could ask BestBuy to turn the lights down so i could see the true black of Sams 8000
))))))

·
Registered
114 Posts
[email protected],

If you don't need a tuner you may look at the KRP-500M also, it is better than the 5020.

I own the 500 and a ln40b650. The Samsung LCD is great for day TV viewing, but I never use it to watch a movie in a dark room, the 500M is waaayyy better in the dark.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I would go with the Pioneer. Although I have purchased more LCD sets than most and have several at my home, there are some drawbacks.

1. Black detail. Everyone talks about contrast and black level. Well IMHO I think that LCD has caught up in these areas, but you still get better detail in dark scenes on a good plasma.

2. For gamers there is the question of "game lag". This covers a whole variety of problems that mean that in a FPS game what you do with the controller is not immediately done on the screen and lags behind. LCDs have more picture processing in most cases and display more lag. Samsung seems to be the worst for this.

3. Response time and motion blur. Yes a plasma is faster and you will see less motion blur. This really is not a problem for most people on LCDs, but if you are sensitive to it, there you go.

4. The one advantage that LCD does have over plasma IMO is in brightness levels. You can run a LCD very bright, bright enough so you don't have to worry about the ambient light washing out the picture. There are those here that will say that their viewing areas are very bright and have lots of windows, but few of them live in an area where they really have direct sunlight coming in one whole wall of the room.

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
As far as the black levels go on a Kuro they will satisfy all but the picky. In most content blacks will look absolute. In dark scenes with no bias light blacks need help a little bit. But non-AVSers probably wouldn't care because they are still pretty good.

As far as how the Luxia compares I've never seen one in a darkened room so I couldn't say. The local dimming LCDs have the best black levels for LCDs. It's not yet known how much improvement has been made on the 8500 series. I will say that my LN55B650s black levels in a darkened room do not compare to a Kuro.

·
Registered
6,184 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNG /forum/post/16954825

...1. Black detail. Everyone talks about contrast and black level. Well IMHO I think that LCD has caught up in these areas, but you still get better detail in dark scenes on a good plasma...

You almost have to classify Pioneer plasmas and other plasmas in a different category when speaking black levels. I've had a B750 and a B650 in home and they just aren't in the same league with a Pioneer when it comes to black levels. And then you have to take into consideration that there is light leakage on LCDs over into black areas that just doesn't exist on a Pioneer. I haven't seen recent Panasonics or Samsungs in a darkened room but my guess it they are noticeably behind. Now if you have ambient room lighting it's a different story as in this type of environment with brighter whites on LCDs and darker tint on the glass I would say the contrast is better until ambient lighting starts to decrease.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb1032 /forum/post/16956566

You almost have to classify Pioneer plasmas and other plasmas in a different category when speaking black levels.

As I said, IMO, I think that black levels are over emphasized compared to other issues with PQ. Do my sets at home have a slight glow to them when I turn off the source with the set on and no lights? Yes!!! Do I sit in a dark room and look at it that way? NO. Don't get me wrong, I wanted a Elite, but just can't justify it because I don't care about it that much, and wont have the money before the last of them are gone.

Probably the worst thing I see in most LCDs is the screen uniformity. The uneven fill of the LC layer itself I believe in most cases. As much as Sharp has taken a beating here on this forum, I have a Sharp set that has perfect screen uniformity. I also have a Samsung that has the worst I have ever seen, yet no one here talks about how bad the banding is on their Samsung is. Funny thing is that I don't notice it when I am viewing the set, just with a grey screen.

Another thing that people bring up with LCDs is the viewing angle. Again just one more thing that probably will not matter in the long run because people don't sit a a 40 degree angle to the screen all the time, most sit directly in front.

I think that the OP should go out there and demo the panels that he wants the way he wants. He should let his own eyes decide what he likes. He is coming here for some good advice and I hope that he gets some.

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
When I was referring to black levels I wasn't referring to watching a blank screen in a darkened room. LOL Even the Pioneer show they are not perfect in dark scenes. Black levels are very noticeable in a dark room. We all have out pet peeves I suppose which is why many of us beat that point to death.

I will agree with you with the Samsungs. My B650 Samsung had banding but it's only noticeable on bright solid colors with movement (a test patern could show it stationary but in most content it's not noticeable). The viewing angle issues aren't as noticeable with a fair amount of lighting in the room but with little lighting it's pretty noticeable. I can't comment on other LCDs but the B650 and B750 showed blacks turning blueish when you went off angle slightly.

·
Registered
6,184 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb32 /forum/post/16958273

If you don't notice phosphor lag on the 5020 and do not care about color temp control... get the 5020. Otherwise, wait a few months and get the XBR10 or B8500 instead!

The XBR10 hasn't been announced yet has it?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts