AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering if the samsung 8500 is worth the extra 1500 and time vs. the 8000 that i can get now for 2199?


does the local dimming on the 8500 make that much of a difference to justify the extra cash??


also this wont be the primary tv in my media room this will be used when i dont want to run the projector


thanks


eric
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Yes, Local Dimming makes a huge difference. No flashlighting or inefficient lighting problems. The edge lit tv's are not bad but if you want the most bang and your already going to spend alot go for the better proven technology, which is local dimming thus far.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,522 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by metzeric /forum/post/17026161


i was wondering if the samsung 8500 is worth the extra 1500 and time vs. the 8000 that i can get now for 2199?


does the local dimming on the 8500 make that much of a difference to justify the extra cash??


also this wont be the primary tv in my media room this will be used when i dont want to run the projector


thanks


eric


I'm in the same boat as you. I want a good 46" LCD. The 8500 shouldn't have uniformity or flashlighting issues. It's also got crazy black level specs. I obviously want to see it first but, i'll probably get it. Cleveland Plasma, a forum sponser has it up for preorder $50.00 less than you say you can get it for. https://clevelandplasma.com/store/lc...sung_un46b8500
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
I am in the same boat...I am VERY tempted to buy the 46B8000 for $2199 w/ free Pioneer BDP120 BluRay player and free OmniMount VFL from Vanns.com but can't make up my mind to wait for the 8500 or not.


Local dimming and back lighting is something I would really like to have, but I cannot justify the price difference right of the back.


Option 1: Get the 46B8000, enjoy it, and hope that the $2199 price is stable and it doesn't drop again when the 8500's are released.


Option 2: Hold off until the 8500's are released, hope for another price drop in the 8000 and get it for less than $2199


Option 3: Wait for the 8500's to be released and hope the price drops to the $2599 price slot relatively quickly.


I am not desperate for a TV, but would like one sooner rather than later (I am currently using a 24" LCD since I just moved into a new house). I don't mind spending a little extra money for a high end TV, but I can't spend a major "premium" for latest and greatest.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
489 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB22 /forum/post/17029319


Option 1: Get the 46B8000, enjoy it, and hope that the $2199 price is stable and it doesn't drop again when the 8500's are released.


Option 2: Hold off until the 8500's are released, hope for another price drop in the 8000 and get it for less than $2199


Option 3: Wait for the 8500's to be released and hope the price drops to the $2599 price slot relatively quickly.

Option 1: It will drop again but if you're not in a rush then wait.


Option 2: That is pretty low and I wouldn't expect them to drop that low anytime soon.


Option 3: Not a chance! MSRP is $4500, it won't drop $2k for another year, if that. Sammy keeps their prices high and don't discount that often.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
I am also in the same situation, although I need 2 tv's. One for a theater and one for family room. I was planning on waiting for the 8500-55" for theater, although who knows when the'll be in BB now, but I was going to get the 6000 or 7100 for the family room as I dont have the luxury of waiting (or want to spend for 2 8500's). What would you do and in spite of problems of flashlighting on 6000/7100, should I look at an alternative? Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers /forum/post/17030904


Option 1: It will drop again but if you're not in a rush then wait.


Option 2: That is pretty low and I wouldn't expect them to drop that low anytime soon.


Option 3: Not a chance! MSRP is $4500, it won't drop $2k for another year, if that. Sammy keeps their prices high and don't discount that often.

Option 2: The 46B8000's are at $2199 right now; my question was do you think it'll drop again below that price point after the 8500's are released (to get rid of older stock). You said in your response to Option 1 to hold off b/c you thought it would drop past that price.


Option 3: the MSRP of the 46B8000 was $3299 and it dropped to the $2599 price point relatively quick. The new 46B8500's are starting out at $3299 price range, why do you think it's so far fetched for them to drop down to the $2599 range after a couple months when they phase out the 8000 series? I'm strictly talking 46" version; maybe you were thinking of the 55".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Any updates on the release date for the 8500? Best Buy has taken the 8500 out of their inventory, even though it said Coming soon. Cleveland Plasma still has up for pre order, but I called and they do not yet have a date. Any intelligence from other sources?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by txcanes /forum/post/17033732


Any updates on the release date for the 8500? Best Buy has taken the 8500 out of their inventory, even though it said Coming soon. Cleveland Plasma still has up for pre order, but I called and they do not yet have a date. Any intelligence from other sources?

bump...

I'd sure love to know whats going on. All of the news reports said Sept than.. silence. Sometimes I just feel like buying the B750...but than i think about the beautiful picture created with local dimming
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Take this with a grain of salt considering the source, but talking to the Magnolia representative at Best Buy yesterday said it was looking closer to the end of October. Seems like they keep pushing the dates back, but the representative was not very certain with his response.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB22 /forum/post/17096219


Take this with a grain of salt considering the source, but talking to the Magnolia representative at Best Buy yesterday said it was looking closer to the end of October. Seems like they keep pushing the dates back, but the representative was not very certain with his response.
How I hope this Magnolia guy is wrong!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
490 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaGumpShrimp /forum/post/17096719

How I hope this Magnolia guy is wrong!

I totally agree. But I guess it gives me some time to find a job first before I'm "forced" to buy this TV. LOL. But if it's October, then the 9000 is just around the corner. Unless the 9000 has an amazing technological advantage over the 8500, I think I'll probably stick with the 8500 anyways because I don't like the idea of the wireless A/V box. It's just going to add lag to my gaming setup.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
489 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB22 /forum/post/17033395


Option 2: The 46B8000's are at $2199 right now; my question was do you think it'll drop again below that price point after the 8500's are released (to get rid of older stock). You said in your response to Option 1 to hold off b/c you thought it would drop past that price.


Option 3: the MSRP of the 46B8000 was $3299 and it dropped to the $2599 price point relatively quick. The new 46B8500's are starting out at $3299 price range, why do you think it's so far fetched for them to drop down to the $2599 range after a couple months when they phase out the 8000 series? I'm strictly talking 46" version; maybe you were thinking of the 55".

Yeah, I always think in terms of the 55, just because that is my preferrable size, but you are correct if speaking of the 46.


I still don't see the 8500 dropping to those levels anytime soon because these are LD sets, just look at the 950 which was still selling for $4k two months ago.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecgz88 /forum/post/17098472


now the 55" 8000 is $2500 range, 8500 MSRP is just $500 more than 8000


so I won't be surprised to see a 55" 8000 $2000 and 55" 8500 $2500 in Christmas


I'd be surprised. Don't think you'll see the 55" 8500 for under $3500.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB22 /forum/post/17096219


Take this with a grain of salt considering the source, but talking to the Magnolia representative at Best Buy yesterday said it was looking closer to the end of October. Seems like they keep pushing the dates back, but the representative was not very certain with his response.

Maybe the delay has to do with the speculated release of the Sony XBR10 around the same time frame?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
438 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecgz88 /forum/post/17098472


now the 55" 8000 is $2500 range, 8500 MSRP is just $500 more than 8000


so I won't be surprised to see a 55" 8000 $2000 and 55" 8500 $2500 in Christmas


No way in heck you will see the 55" 8500 at that price at all this year or next probably.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
664 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindseybp /forum/post/17101336


No way in heck you will see the 55" 8500 at that price at all this year or next probably.

Your right on that, has usual, the 950 55" was at $3200 the last time I seen one that was available, then they where gone!
 
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Top