AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just to be clear, I have already ruled out the 750 due to the TOC peeling (I would freak out) and some other issues.

I am deciding between the Samsung Ln46a650 and the 850, and I can't decide.

The 850 is way more appealing in style, and I like the idea of playing videos via the USB port.

Obviously this is mostly a personal decision... but does anyone have any advice or been in this same boat?

Please post up if you have some experience with these two TV's, or have general advice to weigh in.

thanks.

·
Registered
263 Posts
id get 850 for the size of the TV and the USB movie playing.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the 850 seems to have more issues regarding clouding / blacklight bleeding when compared to the 650.... am I correct in thinking that?

I am a sucker for things like the thinness and the light up display of the 850... it just seems silly to pay 400ish for these features. Yet somehow... I am drawn to it...

Someone talk me out of it? more opinions please!!

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Shell out $500+ instead & get the 950.

The 850 is just a thinner sized 650 panel. If you are willing to pay a bit extra, why not go for the panel with a noticeable improvement in blacks, contrast & motion resolution?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The 950 is a full 1200 dollars more than the 650, and 800 more than the 850.... I can't swing that at the moment...

I am also interested in the possible shift to buying an LED LCD, and by that, i mean waiting till the pricing drops some, see my other thread if you have insight...

·
Registered
233 Posts
Had a 52 Samsung 650 so love Samsungs. But in that price range and if you are considering LED, I'd wait a few months for Vizio's LED 240Hz to come out. may be a KILLER screen for the $.

UL

·
Registered
1,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opto151 /forum/post/15588373

Just to be clear, I have already ruled out the 750 due to the TOC peeling (I would freak out) and some other issues.

ToC peeling is specific to, and a big problem on, the 750?

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
There's ToC peeling issues? Isn't the ToC within the bezel, not outside? How does it peel?

Anyway, it comes down to whether or not you'll use the extra features of the 850, and if you can settle with a thicker panel (the 850 is thinner). Personally, all the extra features with the 750 and 850 don't appeal to me, so the 650 was a no brainer.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The ToC peeling, from what I've researched and seen in stores, is specific to the 750. If you notice the 750, the TOC of visible from the back and it sort of, how I describe, open to the world. Therefore it peels or gets chipped on some sets. Several of the display 750's at my local best buy and CC showed the issue.

They have LARGELY fixed this with the 850, as is evident if you just view the ToC from behind, it is not visible and covered with what is basically a rubber strip. I believe this not only aids in preventing the Halo, but also effectively removed the TOC peeling issue. However, I have heard a report or two saying the peeling can still happen on the 850...

Thanks for all your input. I think what I have decided is to just go up a size and get the 650. I was originally looking at the 46'' versions of the 650 and 850, but I realized I can get a 52'' 650 for the price of that 46'' 850.

we can leave this open to discussion - i'd appreciate more input as well...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts