·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
click on the "expert tuning" link

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I'm hopefully getting one of these to review once they are shipping, but when they say "Calibrated by hand" it doesn't indicate what the tolerances are for the calibration. Do they just want a dE under 10? A CCT +/- 1000 or is it +/- 100? I'm finishing reviewing an ASUS monitor now that says it has a dE

·
Registered
9,736 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 703  /t/1416466/samsung-9-series-calibrating-at-the-factory/0_100#post_22149765

The ASUS 27" claims pre-calibration as well.
http://www.asus.com/Display/LCD_Monitors/PA248Q/

The funny thing with the Samsung is that, Samsung is the master of oversaturation, just look at their Galaxy S2 and S3 phones

I was testing the ASUS PA246Q (I got it in before the new one was announced) but it doesn't say how they get their dE of 5.0. That's the thing, is Samsung/ASUS/everyone can say "Calibrated from the factory" but there isn't a standardized way of measuring that. Does that mean all primaries and secondaries, as well as the grayscale, are under 5? Or does that mean that 100% white is under 5? Which formula? Unless these are specified I don't know if they are meeting the standard or not.

I'm just running them through the 24 swatch Gretag Macbeth pattern, and if they are under 5 for an average on that, I'd consider it meeting the standard. If not, then I don't consider it any better or worse than any other display coming to me.

·
Registered
366 Posts
The standards body should really define what is considered meeting the standard and what is not. Similar to car saftey ratings. E.g 5 star could be DE < 1 for primary/secondary/greyscale tracking. Otherwise, marketing will just run wild and calm everything is accurate and calibrated.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts