AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not sure if this is the right place but here goes:

I just bought the 46" 630 and was reading through the manual about the optical audio and I am confused. From what I understand, if I have a cable box, DVD player and blu-ray all hooked up to my TV using HDMI and the TV hooked up to my surround-sound stereo via the optical audio (TOSLINK), the only signal that will come through my stereo in 5.1 is the DTV, everything else will come through the stereo as a 2-channel audio.

Is this right? It seems dumb. Samsung support said the TOSLINK will send 5.1 from whatever device is hooked up, but the manual clearly says that if I want 5.1 audio from any device other than DTV, I have to hook my TOSLINK cable directly to that device (DVD blu ray, etc).

Why would it make a difference to the TV if it was a DTV signal or DVD signal?Common sense would say that if all of my devices are sending a 5.1 signal to the TV, the TV's optical out should send that 5.1 signal to my stereo regardless of what kind of device it is.

Can anyone please clear this up for me?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts

Quote:
From what I understand, if I have a cable box, DVD player and blu-ray all hooked up to my TV using HDMI and the TV hooked up to my surround-sound stereo via the optical audio (TOSLINK), the only signal that will come through my stereo in 5.1 is the DTV, everything else will come through the stereo as a 2-channel audio.

Correct.

Quote:
Samsung support said the TOSLINK will send 5.1 from whatever device is hooked up, but the manual clearly says that if I want 5.1 audio from any device other than DTV, I have to hook my TOSLINK cable directly to that device (DVD blu ray, etc).

those support people that work in India dont really know anything other than what their computer screen tells them, I wouldnt trust them.

Quote:
Why would it make a difference to the TV if it was a DTV signal or DVD signal?Common sense would say that if all of my devices are sending a 5.1 signal to the TV, the TV's optical out should send that 5.1 signal to my stereo regardless of what kind of device it is.

Some tv's will pass the audio through, but most tv's will only pass 5.1 from the internal tuner. I dont know why either, it seems dumb to me.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
This has been discussed close to 1 million times. The only way to get 5.1 out of the tv's optical is when using an antenna. Any other item attached to the tv will have stereo sent thru the optical. As you state, you will need to attach items audio opticals straight into your receiver or buy a receiver which can process HDMI sound and hook all thru the receiver then one HDMI into the tv from the receiver. There are incription security issues which produce the audio issues.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the answers. I did search on here but I couldn't find any information on it.

Because I am stubborn I called Samsung again and the rep* there checked with "higher-ups' and they confirmed that any 5.1 signal coming to the TV via HDMI will be outputted as a 5.1 via the optical toslink. I guess the truth will be known to me tomorrow when I set up the TV. I will report back here on Monday.

They did say that I needed to go into the audio setting and select both external and internal speakers to get 5.1q to go out.

I thought that one of the great things about HDMI was it's ability to transfer HD video and audio; so what would be the point of sending a hi-def (5.1) audio signal into a TV incapable of outputting that to a receiver as 5.1. That defies all logic (I realize that doesn't mean it's not true though).

*The person from Samsung was not from India, or if they were they had a really good phony Compton accent (both of them). It sounded more like the call center was in a women's detention facility.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so yeah, it doesn't work. I just get steroe. I called samsung and they said, again, that it should work. then when it didn;t they said it was because my cable box was causing the tv to send only stereo. i unhooked the cable box (knowing this would do nothing) then when it was still stereo, they tried to blame my receiver. after about 15 minutes and several "can I place you on hold for a minute while I check with my supervisor", they said it was the fault of my receiver. I then asked how to select both internal and external speakers as it says I can do in my manual; they said there is no way to do that even though it says crystal clear that you can. SO I am not so impressed with the tech-writers at samsung.

so tonight I get to pull my tv stand back out and spend another hour re-oing a bunch of crap so I can hook up 3 toslkink cables.

thanks for you help, Mes444 and stitlet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts