AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a 42in Samsung B450 Plasma and I love the TV. My only issue is, when there is a scene where the pic goes to black, like right before a commercial, or at the end of a movie right before the credits, or during an intro on a show like LOST, the tv goes dark (almost to like a really dark grey) and then goes completely black. Depending on what is being shown (or not shown in this case) this can cause the TV to flash back and forth between the dark gray, and black multiple times. This usually only lasts 2-3 seconds but it is very annoying. I tried turning off dynamic contrast but it didn't help.

Any suggestions on how I correct this?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendog2784 /forum/post/18305615

Hello,

I have a 42in Samsung B450 Plasma and I love the TV. My only issue is, when there is a scene where the pic goes to black, like right before a commercial, or at the end of a movie right before the credits, or during an intro on a show like LOST, the tv goes dark (almost to like a really dark grey) and then goes completely black. Depending on what is being shown (or not shown in this case) this can cause the TV to flash back and forth between the dark gray, and black multiple times. This usually only lasts 2-3 seconds but it is very annoying. I tried turning off dynamic contrast but it didn't help.

Any suggestions on how I correct this?

Try turning the power save mode to low or off, and switch to standard. I think this only happens when you are in movie mode. Has something to do with backlighting turning on and off. JoeB

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply. I switched the TV to Standard after I got it. I also checked the Energy Saving setting and it is off as well. I am currently watching Part 1 of the Pacific and during the first big firefight at night, it seems to be happening every few seconds.

·
Registered
153 Posts
It is a combination of your brightness and contrast settings. Turn down your contrast or up your brightness and you will see this effect go away.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Contrast was at 81, brightness at 45. I brought the Contrast down to 50 and Brightness down to 40. I would go lower but the TV starts to get pretty dark at that point. I will post back with results. Thanks for the suggestions thus far.

·
Registered
5,850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendog2784 /forum/post/18318184

Contrast was at 81, brightness at 45. I brought the Contrast down to 50 and Brightness down to 40. I would go lower but the TV starts to get pretty dark at that point. I will post back with results. Thanks for the suggestions thus far.

I don't think this has anything to do with your brightness or contrast settings (and the brightness setting sounds a little low, which will hurt your shadow detail). It's probably just somethign you'll have to learn to live with -- the TV detects a full screen black signal and basically shuts off.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisherbert /forum/post/18318215

I don't think this has anything to do with your brightness or contrast settings (and the brightness setting sounds a little low, which will hurt your shadow detail). It's probably just somethign you'll have to learn to live with -- the TV detects a full screen black signal and basically shuts off.

Is this a common trait among plasmas, Samsungs, or HD tvs in general, or all/none of the above?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddigital /forum/post/18318200

I turned HDMI black level to normal and mine stopped doing this. its a 58B550..

I will try that, although this issue happens on Component (Xbox 1 with XBMC via component kit), Tuner (clear QAM via cable company), and PC (via HDMI).

·
Registered
5,850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendog2784 /forum/post/18318358

Is this a common trait among plasmas, Samsungs, or HD tvs in general, or all/none of the above?

It's pretty common, yes, though maybe not as aggressive as this. It's not unique to plasma tech, and happens on LCDs as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the B850 and it also does this, i dont notice it all the time though. I tried switching some settings around to see if thats what it is and i cant figure it out so if someone happens to find the best solution i'd love to hear it. Its especially annoying when my room is very dark and the difference between "dark grey" and "dark black" screens is very noticable.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts