AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if the Samsung B850/860 has better blacks than the B550.

I can get the 50B550 Very cheap. also according to CNET the 850/860 black levels seem to suffer and even the B650 has better blacks.

So B550 vs B850/860.

Worth spending the Extra money? which is alot imo.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I don't remember seeing any 850/860 with a MLL lower than .02fL. The other Samsung models are typically .01-.015fL, from what I've seen.

Panasonic has a similar issue with black level that doesn't accurately reflect the marketing materials. The 58" and 65" models are consistently around .005-.006fL, while all others around .008-.009fL. So a 65S1 will have better blacks than a 50V10.

·
Registered
591 Posts
The blacks according to cnet arent always correct. If you want great shadow detail and a ton of calibration controls get the 8 series. If you dont care if dark greys are slightly crushed when correctly set, get the 550. Also if you dont care about color controls get the 550. Out of the box I wouldnt compare those 2 anyway.

·
Registered
48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetthal /forum/post/18175513

Does the 850/60 have better blacks then the B550/650 or not?

Yes, I compared them side by side and purchased the 850, just a better overall picture.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Rex /forum/post/18178578

Yes, I compared them side by side and purchased the 850, just a better overall picture.

Did you check the calibration of each? Or are you just going by what they happened to be set at, at the store?

As a point of measurable fact, I have yet to see any evidence the 850/860 has better blacks than the 550.

I have a 590, which has a better anti-glare filter than the 550 but is otherwise similar. D-Nice did the calibration of the 860 for the plasma-shoot out and also did the calibration of my 590. He got something like a 0.021fL for the 860 and he got a 0.008fL for my 590, a substantial improvement for the 590 over the 860. I've seen various other calibration reports for 850's and 860's since and none have beat 0.008fL.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I guess price is an issue. get the 550. I got the 850 because it has nice features (internet) and more connections, plus the styling it's as thin as the new led's.

cnet sd that the 850 does suffer from not producing deep blacks are lesser sammy models. if you are only for the black levels then save your green backs and purchase the 550.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPONGEM /forum/post/18179931

I guess price is an issue. get the 550. I got the 850 because it has nice features (internet) and more connections, plus the styling it's as thin as the new led's.

cnet sd that the 850 does suffer from not producing deep blacks are lesser sammy models. if you are only for the black levels then save your green backs and purchase the 550.

On the Internet and home networking features, buyers should consider whether they already have (or soon will have) these features redundantly in their setup. If not, that may make it an important feature. But many people already have it. My setup has it already in my PS3, my HD DVR (for the most part) and partially in my AV Receiver, Wii and Roku. Between them I am covered many times over.

On the thinness, if you are mounting it on a wall (a very small minority of users) there is a real practical advantage. It is lighter and the thin profile really helps. If not, it becomes a purely asthetic issue since the styling is nearly identical to the thicker models and it will mostly be viewed from the front.

·
Registered
43 Posts
it is by no means lighter!!! it's just as heavy as any other plasma and significantly heavier than the 52" lcd version i returned for it...

·
Registered
48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citivas /forum/post/18178757

Did you check the calibration of each? Or are you just going by what they happened to be set at, at the store?

As a point of measurable fact, I have yet to see any evidence the 850/860 has better blacks than the 550.

I have a 590, which has a better anti-glare filter than the 550 but is otherwise similar. D-Nice did the calibration of the 860 for the plasma-shoot out and also did the calibration of my 590. He got something like a 0.021fL for the 860 and he got a 0.008fL for my 590, a substantial improvement for the 590 over the 860. I've seen various other calibration reports for 850's and 860's since and none have beat 0.008fL.

I actually own them both now (wife wanted a TV for her bedroom), neither are "calibrated" both are set with the same "uncalibrated" settings and the 850 has better blacks, colors, and clarity. I have to assume that when both are properly calibrated that the 850 will remain ahead in all categories. If calibration makes my 850 worse then I may just leave it alone then. ;-)

·
Registered
651 Posts

Quote:

this. ^^^^ the voice of reality.

the 550 is a great set and can be calibrated VERY well. blacks and colors are great. as mentioned by citivas you may already have components with the internet capabilites you need (i do) so why waste the $ on redundancy? firmware updates with a usb stick take like 5 minutes. the color controls on the 550 are FINE for calibration. the set is still pretty thin- 2.9" if i remember.

comparing 2 sets out of the box to each other is not a reliable comparison. calibrate them both correctly for their particular environment and then report back if the extra $ was perceptively noticable or an emotional bias because of the extra money spent.

i'm not saying the 550 is the be all end all - nothing ever is. but, for the price it can be had at it is really a no brainer.

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
happy you guys posted your results, have been trying to decide what model to get. I have a 50" b650 and i am interested in the 63 590, i am happy with the black levels of the 650 but maybe Citivas could post some settings soon so if i pull the trigger on this set i can get .008fl as well :)

also, not sure if its me but the black levels seem to improve on my 650 after a few hundred hours.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macroblocker /forum/post/18181190

happy you guys posted your results, have been trying to decide what model to get. I have a 50" b650 and i am interested in the 63 590, i am happy with the black levels of the 650 but maybe Citivas could post some settings soon so if i pull the trigger on this set i can get .008fl as well :)

also, not sure if its me but the black levels seem to improve on my 650 after a few hundred hours.

My settings are the intellectual property of D-Nice so I don't feel comfortable posting them. But I have tried to be directionally helpful in previous posts...

·
Registered
2,475 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Rex /forum/post/18180894

I actually own them both now (wife wanted a TV for her bedroom), neither are "calibrated" both are set with the same "uncalibrated" settings and the 850 has better blacks, colors, and clarity. I have to assume that when both are properly calibrated that the 850 will remain ahead in all categories. If calibration makes my 850 worse then I may just leave it alone then. ;-)

Calibration may not make the 850 worse but it sure as heck made the 590 much, much better. My black levels improved 3X when D-Nice calibrated it. As I said, when dealing with measurable items like black levels I prefer to deal with measurable facts since people's perception is so subjective (others have posted their personal experiences and come out the opposite of you). And no one has yet to post nor has any review published a calibration result for the 850 or 860 that has a better black level than in the claibration report for my 590 that I have published here several times (and can be found on a quick search). Is it possible? Certainly. But so far unproven. To the contrary, there are many published results that are all 2-3X worse than my 590 results. It is possible, BTW, that your perception is affected by the anti-glare filter which will make the general perception of the screen darker though that doesn't automatically translate to the illuminated black level or the contrast (mine goes 0.008fL to 52fL).

All that said, I am not dissing the 850/860. Awesome sets and had they had a 63" version I probably would have gotten it instead of the 590.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPONGEM /forum/post/18180830

it is by no means lighter!!! it's just as heavy as any other plasma and significantly heavier than the 52" lcd version i returned for it...

58" Panasonic V10 = 110 lbs. without stand

58" Samsung 650 = 86 lbs. without stand

58" Samsung 860 = 81 lbs. without stand

How is that not lighter?

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citivas /forum/post/18181346

My settings are the intellectual property of D-Nice so I don't feel comfortable posting them. But I have tried to be directionally helpful in previous posts...

I understand, maybe you could tell me if these tweaks were all made outside the service menu or if more had to be adjusted

·
Registered
244 Posts

Quote:

Which plasma shoot out are you refering to? Thanks in advance!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts