AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 2310 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnewt /forum/post/16913448

What's the difference between this set & the 9500 set from a year or so ago?

I think you mean the A950. It appears this will essentially be the replacement for the A950. 8500 will be much thinner and specs appear to be a little pumped up, i.e. 7m to 1 contrast ratio, 240 refresh, etc. No info on number of LED's and zones yet so not sure what kind of gains there will be in those areas.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Beat me by an hour and half. I was just about to post this.

Another source, fyi ... [Whoops, I'm still too new]

But it does look like local dimming on the 8500, which implies to me that the 8500 will be this year's replacement for the the A950. I can't confirm or deny that there won't be a 9000 of some kind later in the year, but I kinda doubt it. Someone more in the know feel free to correct me.

·
Banned
328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dujo /forum/post/16913584

But it does look like local dimming on the 8500, which implies to me that the 8500 will be this year's replacement for the the A950. I can't confirm or deny that there won't be a 9000 of some kind later in the year, but I kinda doubt it. Someone more in the know feel free to correct me.

Hi Dujo,

high

def

junkies

[dot]

com/showthread.php?p=51315#post51315

The 8500 is their flagship locally dimmed set for now. I'm looking forward to testing and reviewing one (3-6 weeks, it looks like).

Yours,

David

·
Registered
659 Posts
As far as 1080p televisions go that is a very nice looking TV, anybody find a european release date, or are they day & date with US? Damn think I'll be giving this one a closer look.

Cheers,

Jiff

·
Registered
296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dujo /forum/post/16913584

according to samsung media rep there will be no 9000. this model is it for the rest of 2009. and not wireless HDMI either, like 9000 was rumored to be. tuner built-in...sounds like the biggest advantage over A950 is the depth (and I assume light) weight of the display...

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
Basic specs below. I'm glad I grabbed a 950 on closeout. The 8500 loses a bunch of analog inputs, like the other Sammy thinline LED units.

8500 Series LED HDTV

Screen Sizes

54.6-inch / 45.9-inch

Resolution

Full HD 1080p

Design

Touch of Color™ (ToC™) with Charcoal accents

Crystal neck swivel stand

Compatible with ultra-slim wall-mount solution (sold separately)

Video

7,000,000:1 contrast ratio

2ms response time

Auto Motion Plus™ 240Hz frame interpolation with separate blur and judder adjustments

Ultra Clear Panel

Wide Color Enhancer Pro

Audio

Down-firing speakers with integrated woofer

15-watts x 2 (55-inch class)

10-watts x 2 (46-inch class)

SRS TruSurround HD™

Features

[email protected]

[email protected] - Content Service with Yahoo! Widget Engine

Content Library ™

(2GB flash memory)

USB 2.0 Movie with MPEG4, DivX, MP3, JPEG decoders

DLNA-CERTIFIED™ for wired / wireless access (USB dongle for wireless sold separately)

Natural Mode

Energy Star® v3.0 compliant

Built-in ATSC/Clear QAM digital tuner

Picture-in-Picture

Local Dimming

A/V

Connections

4 HDMI (HDMI-CEC) version 1.3 inputs (side)

1 component input (rear)

2 USB 2.0 inputs (side)

1 Ethernet connection (rear)

1 optical audio output (side)

1 PC input (rear)

Estimated Selling Price

54.6-inch (UN55B8500): $4,499.99

45.9-inch (UN46B8500): $3,599.99

Availability

August 2009

·
Registered
1,675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty22001 /forum/post/16913490

When are they going to get 60" or more on these

Sharp has announced their new plant for making large panels is scheduled to begin manufacture this October. They sell panels to a number of manufacturers. So presumably by early next year we should start seeing various new LCD TVs 60 inches and above.

I expect in a year to be seriously shopping for a 60 inch LED locally-dimmed replacement for my faithful but increasingly stone-age D-ILA. Hope I can hold out that long. I was looking at a Samsung B6000 in Best Buy today and MAN it looked good.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes /forum/post/16922423

Basic specs below. I'm glad I grabbed a 950 on closeout. The 8500 loses a bunch of analog inputs, like the other Sammy thinline LED units.

good, hope you'll be happy with your extinct tv with the analog inputs for your laserdisc and vcr's. Some ppl like to go forward, and some...make a u-turn and head back the other way. Let me guess, you're still estactic with windows 98 right?

·
Registered
165 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 /forum/post/16924014

good, hope you'll be happy with your extinct tv with the analog inputs for your laserdisc and vcr's. Some ppl like to go forward, and some...make a u-turn and head back the other way. Let me guess, you're still estactic with windows 98 right?

Moving forward would be gaining something instead of losing something. We should be picking up new inputs with this tv and we are not, so like it or not this person has a point. And I have XP and wouldn't trade it for Vista for anything lol.

·
Registered
7,233 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorial79 /forum/post/16924028

Moving forward would be gaining something instead of losing something. We should be picking up new inputs with this tv and we are not, so like it or not this person has a point. And I have XP and wouldn't trade it for Vista for anything lol.

Windows 7 is around the corner which should resolve Vista issues as it'll have dual mode compatability. I know what you mean though as I buy for and manage a large network and I avoid Vista because it's not network friendly as it cannot handle pre-existing XP Pro roaming profiles (among other issues) unless I start from scratch and buy all new servers and rebuild hundreds of profiles and no way most budgets can and available time handle that proposition with a Live Network of 14 Servers unless one's network is starting from point A with Vista. Windows 7 should finally fill that gap in the near future.

I'd look at CES in Jan for improvements in the Tech area interface (also CEDIA next month) but understand HDMI and wireless can have it's limits since current HDMI has no error correction built-in - should collisions occur and they will, it can lead to audio and picture dropouts. Many of the interfaces used with one's HT must have their specs improved to have that area come to market - an area that the TV builders have very little control over directly often they have to wait for the interfaces to evolve and mature.

One of next years biggest improvements should be expansion of Tru2Way interface with cable cards without using cable boxes and Samsung is a huge partner in Tru2Way. It's being tested in different markets around the country presently - one way cable cards failed because the cable providers could not make any money off them but in this case a two way opens up unlimited Pay services the original lacked for Cable companies to promote and most were pathetically apathetic at supporting since they weren't making money off it which is the American way.

Often Samsung has tested their innovations in their home market in S Korea before they deal it out in Europe and N. America et al. It is amazing how these CR's keep jumping on these panels and I'd love to see if the PQ and shadow details truly result in improved Picture if it's truly 7 million to one.

1 - 20 of 2310 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.