AVS Forum banner

901 - 920 of 2310 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te /forum/post/17271265

Both Ftvbounty and LEDCounter have a few pages back......

Yeah and this led counter guy took his back and got an LG lh90? Is that tv any where near as good fvbounty? I looked and it and did not see it!

·
Registered
2,505 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by txcanes /forum/post/17272618

Yeah and this led counter guy took his back and got an LG lh90? Is that tv any where near as good fvbounty? I looked and it and did not see it!

The LH90 is good (I had it). What makes it really good is that LG has put what is normaly service menu stuff in the regular menu. Then they have added features to help you tweak the heck out of that picture which is a very very good thing. If Samsung did this they would kill the market.

Now with that said the LH90 has way fewer LED zones than the 8500 (yes I know the 8500's zones are not counted, but nobody is saying it is 96 or less). The LH90 also has some issues with motion that Samsung doesn't and finally it is edgelit - while better than most it suffers from some of the same issues as the other.

The thing is that it has a matte screen (but very very glozzy frame which is just stupid) so if the screen is what is the big killer then the LH90 is something to consider. Personally I would wait for the new LG's that will be closer to the 8500 - not sure when they are coming out.

All said if you are fine with the screen it doesn't seem like you can beat the 8500

·
Registered
82 Posts

Quote:
The LH90 also has some issues with motion that Samsung doesn't and finally it is edgelit - while better than most it suffers from some of the same issues as the other.

Actually the LH90 is not edgelit, it has full array backlighting. Now for half the price of the Sammy I'm sure it's not going to be "as good", but from what I can see it's a very good TV. I'm just waiting to see if a firmware fix that corrects the lip sync is released and working myself for the LG

·
Registered
2,505 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahone68 /forum/post/17272901

Actually the LH90 is not edgelit, it has full array backlighting. Now for half the price of the Sammy I'm sure it's not going to be "as good", but from what I can see it's a very good TV. I'm just waiting to see if a firmware fix that corrects the lip sync is released and working myself for the LG

Sorry you are of course correct not sure what I was thinking. The TV still has some issues probably due to the "few" zones that it has.

I use a receiver so the lip sync was not an issue. There are also a few fixes out there proposed but that is for the lh90 thread

Now back to the 8500

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hey clevelandplasma

Any updates regarding the shipment from your cheaper supplier? I was hoping to make it down this or next sunday to pick up a 55" 8500

·
Banned
265 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplearms /forum/post/17274382

Hey clevelandplasma

Any updates regarding the shipment from your cheaper supplier? I was hoping to make it down this or next sunday to pick up a 55" 8500

I am standing by as well, hoping to hear something soon. I see Cleveland Plasma is now showing their regular (higher price) on the 55. It appears it is no longer available at a lower pre-order price.

I hope Chris has enough units coming in from the lower price vendor to satisfy

all of his pre-orders at the lower price. I think us guys who pre-ordered are getting a little anxious as we see units showing up at some of the other dealers.

·
Registered
210 Posts
WOW. I am an 55A950 owner for many months... and today at frys i was once again impressed by the quality samsung has displayed in this new 55B8500 Set! VERY NICE!

·
Registered
5,088 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LsRamAir /forum/post/17275407

WOW. I am an 55A950 owner for many months... and today at frys i was once again impressed by the quality samsung has displayed in this new 55B8500 Set! VERY NICE!

I own the 950. What do you see as the difference?

·
Registered
210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants /forum/post/17275427

I own the 950. What do you see as the difference?

Keep in mind these sets werent side by side in the store... So this is kinda "butt dyno" style.

1. Able to tweak AMP without entering the service menu (and thus defaulting my settings
)

2. The native CR on the panel itself MUST BE better... I tried disabling Smart LED and the black letterbox bars hardly changed

3. Engaging LED motion Plus with a Backlight of 10 seemed to push more nits than my A950 does.

4. Although not a performance aspect: the Thinness and slighly slimmer bezel are impressive

5. Customizable widgets over the basic selection from the A950

Nothing to warrant another $4k purchase, but improvements have been made. I would have loved to get a htpc on it and count the dimming zones. Maybe ill bring my laptop in one of these days and test it out.

-Jimmy

·
Registered
192 Posts
Thanks for the cool pic, Ram! Appreciate your effort there. Especially waiting for the Transformers scene with Megan's nice.. book bag

It's funny how we were all waiting and waiting for BB and Magnolia.. then Fry's has had them for almost a week now.

·
Registered
665 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvbounty /forum/post/17272269

Thats exactly right I was very Lucky to get a A850 has a loaner for a month until the 8500 got here, so I had a Samsung with the glossy screen in my front room to see if the glossy screen would work and to my surprise it works great, I was afraid of the glossy screen but with light control it is absolutely no problem (drapes that you can close if needed) I even have a hanging light in one corner that I never see except on the glossy bezel.

I have one of those video game rocker chairs that is comfortable enough to fall asleep in. I can position it anywhere I want, and watch TV while sitting in it. That way, I can eliminate any lights that are reflecting off of it, whether they be from the outside, or from the inside.

Now, I just need to stay awake to watch my TV.

·
Registered
719 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LsRamAir /forum/post/17275407

Which Fry's location?? Is it still only in Cal...

·
Registered
53 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben12345 /forum/post/17274909

I hope Chris has enough units coming in from the lower price vendor to satisfy all of his pre-orders at the lower price. I think us guys who pre-ordered are getting a little anxious as we see units showing up at some of the other dealers.

Yeah i know the feeling.. i read on another board that it wont be in Canada until next year
I've been waiting for this tv to come out forever!

·
Registered
662 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro /forum/post/17276554

any displays in sfo bay area, best buy or frys?

Try the San Ramon Magnolia, thats where I got mine....they might have one in the store now!

·
Registered
10,457 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvbounty /forum/post/17276762

Try the San Ramon Magnolia, thats where I got mine....they might have one in the store now!

man that is too far! I am in palo alto area!

·
Registered
662 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro /forum/post/17276772

man that is too far! I am in palo alto area!

Isn't there a Magnolia in your side of the bay?

·
Registered
10,457 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvbounty /forum/post/17276851

Isn't there a Magnolia in your side of the bay?

yup, a couple inside best buy and one on stevenscreek, if it still exists lol.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Yes, the one near Valley Fair in San Jose (Winchester and Stevens Creek) is still there. I keep meaning to call and see if they have the 8500.

901 - 920 of 2310 Posts